PDA

View Full Version : Socks with shoes?

teddy
09-25-2003, 11:05 AM
The lady at Stride Rite told me not to use socks with the "grippies" with the Stride Rite shoes. And I just bought a bunch of Old Navy socks!

Where can I find colorful socks without grippies? Also, can I use the grippy socks with Robeez? Please say yes! :) Or am I stuck with the socks?

August Mom
09-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Why can you not use the grippy socks with Stride Rite?

I have used both grippy and non-grippy socks with Robeez and haven't had a problem. Carters has basic, non-grippy socks. Gymboree's fancy socks, with designs to match the different lines are non-grippy.

khakismom
09-25-2003, 11:58 AM
I think it's because the grippies add bulk to the foot and make it harder for the shoe to fit the child's foot properly. Kathleen wears the thin socks with no grippies and I find it easier to get her foot in the shoe (the grippies don't slide into a shoe well--they "grip" :)). It's probably a matter of preference--and a case of them trying to sell their socks! :) Although I do have to say that we use the SR socks because I like how thin they are and they wash extremely well. :)

cara1
09-25-2003, 12:38 PM
We use those socks with shoes and have never had a problem.

Andrea S
09-25-2003, 01:19 PM
They told me something about the feet getting to hot.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

millerpjm
09-25-2003, 02:37 PM
I have bought non-grippy socks at department stores such as Kohl's and JCPenney....

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

amp
09-25-2003, 02:37 PM
We have several different types of Carters socks that don't have the grippy stuff. We also have a set Faded Glory ones from Target w/o grippies. However, that brand did shrink, so I would buy bigger than what I wanted.

Melanie
09-25-2003, 06:13 PM
I also rarely use grippy socks with shoes b/c I, too, find it hard to get their feet in and keep the sock relatively loose so it does not pull and scrunch up their toes improperly. I do use them with Robeez, just b/c it's easier to get Ds' feet into the Robeez with the sock still loose.

KimberleyDawn
09-26-2003, 12:50 AM
I find that the Old Navy socks with the grippies are hard to put on with Robeez. I too bought more than a few pairs of ON socks and I find I'm having to look for his plain socks to wear when he wears his shoes (glad shoes are an option right now).
Kim

parkersmama
09-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Oh, good grief! I agree with whoever said this is mostly a ploy to get you to buy their socks! I have raised two boys through the "grippy socks" age and both of them wore them with shoes *all* the time! It was never a problem. If that's what you already have, give them a try and see how they work before you spend money getting more socks. Also, keep in mind that bare feet are the healthiest and you'll probably take off the shoes as soon as you get home. If you have any hard floors, your little guy will be bustin' his tail the second he hits those hard floors without grippy socks on!! This happened to us the first time that either of my boys wore the non-grippy kind...it took them quite a while to get used to plain socks (there is a certain size at which no one puts the grippys on them anymore!). HTH!

AdoptChina
09-26-2003, 07:58 AM
My kids have all worn grippy socks (Old Navy, Gap, Gymboree etc) with their Stride Rite shoes and haven't had any problems. (and all 3 of my kiddos have wide feet)

teddy
09-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Okay, thanks for everyone's input. I wasn't sure if the grippies would affect how she grips the inside of the shoe with her toes, or whatever. No need to buy more socks :)