PDA

View Full Version : Looking for knitted "letter" sweater...

smomom
09-25-2003, 03:35 PM
I am trying to find a knitted pullover sweater with baby's initial knitted into the chest of the sweater. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find one? I need a size that will fit a 12 month old.

Thanks!

khakismom
09-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Garnet Hill used to have these, but I'm not sure if they still do. I found this site online that has them:

http://www.theredballoon.com/lettersweater.html

Such a cute idea! Good luck! :)

valeria73
09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
www.thekidswindow.co.uk has the kind that were featured in the Harry Potter movies, made by the same company that made them for the movies. HTH!

Momof3Labs
09-25-2003, 04:09 PM
Have you thought about having someone make one up for you? That might be easier than finding one in a store.

Marisa6826
09-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Janie and Jack sells them (you have to order the sweater) at their Short Hills, NJ store.

-m

jojo2324
09-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Hi Dana!

I know I am always plugging this store (I DON'T work there...I used to, but quit one day in a horrible fit...so I'm not even really welcome there. Whole 'nother story. :)), but here is a link:

http://www.punchonline.com/babysweaters.html

I am almost certain they have those sweaters featured with the heart trim or light houses, but with the initial letter, no decoration. You can probably order whatever color you want, with whatever color letter you want, and I am sure they are less than the Red Balloon website. I would guess about $58? They make infant sizes, and the company is Claver/Acvisa, though I think the store now uses its own label. They run really big, FYI. For a 12-month old, I would get a 12-month size, maybe even smaller if the child is a munchkin.

Anyhoo, there's a number, because the item's not on their website. (800) 789-4123. If that doesn't work, try (631) 329-3897.

Let me know if it works out!! :)

Melanie
09-25-2003, 06:11 PM
They have a whale sweater! A WHALE sweater! Why is everything only up to 18m instead of 24m? hm...

jojo2324
09-25-2003, 07:42 PM
*WE* have the whale sweater!!! And Melanie, they run HUGE. They make a size 2...I am sure of it. I am going to go there tomorrow and find out exactly what they have! :)

Let me see if I can find a pic. This is Gman in his blue whale sweater, with Ainsleigh's matching pink one. A gift from when we went to visit mamahill (who happens to prefer the name Gainsleigh to Gannona...) :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/867.jpg

jojo2324
09-25-2003, 07:49 PM
Whoops realized now you meant a different sweater. This is the whale sweater we have. But I'll still go check it out tomorrow.

nigele
09-26-2003, 11:49 AM
I tried looking for these on the web site but can't find them. Do you happen to know the brand?

TIA!

Andrea S
09-26-2003, 01:13 PM
I want to go to that store. I just requested a catalog.

Joanne--Do the coats run really big too? I like the duffle coat, but I do not know if 2T would be to big. Andrew is wearing 24 mos now.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

alkagift
09-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Lisa,
If you search for "Jumpers/Cardigans" that will give them to you--"jumpers" are british sweaters. They list the brand as "Harry Potter."

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Melanie
09-26-2003, 05:29 PM
How cute! Thanks for sharing...I meant the cardigan, though, but that's okay.

Gainsleigh? hhmmm.... How about Jonahanna?

jojo2324
09-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Went to the store today and resisted buying any girls' summer clothes on sale for Little Miss. Very hard!!! I've come so far...:)

Dana, here's the lowdown. They make the letter sweaters. For infant sizes (6-24 months), the sweaters are $48. They are a special order item, so it takes 3-4 weeks for it to be finished. Shipping is $8.50, and if you live outside NY state, no tax. Otherwise, it's 8.75%. Again, they run really big, so I would go with a 12m. You could probably get away with the 18m by rolling the cuffs, but it might be "drapey" around the shoulders, and long.

Sweater colors: light pink, light blue, hot pink, navy, dark green, red and ivory

Letter colors: white, ivory, and navy

Melanie, the whale cardigan is sold out...It's a brand called Mollygoggles, and it was from this past summer. For the same brand, they have a whole bunch of wool, most with reindeer on them. Don't know if that works in Cali. :) And the size run breaks down to 6m, 12m, 18m, then size 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc. That's how it used to be when I worked there.

Andrea, I asked both people who worked there what coats were on the website exactly. They didn't know. (Thanks!!) The manager guessed that they were E-Land Kids, and Rothschild? I think that's the name. The Rothschild coat was SUPER expensive, $210!!!! And they run HUGE. I didn't see either brand in infant sizes, but the size 2 would have been down to Gannon's shins and well over his hands. (He just got weighed this morning...He's 24 lbs 3 oz, if that helps.) The infant toggle coats they did have all seemed to run pretty big too. I think that if I got him an 18-month size in any of the brands, it would fit him with room to spare.

Okay, everyone got that?? Glad to be of service! (Right, because I totally need an excuse to shop!) :D

Andrea S
09-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Joanne,

Thanks so much for the info and thanks for G-man for being our personal shopper. Did Gannon get anything?

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

sntm
09-27-2003, 04:27 PM
lisa,
if you get one, let me know how it turns out. love iy for jack next year but worried it night be scratchy
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

smomom
09-27-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks so much for checking on the sweater. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if I take the plunge and order one.