PDA

View Full Version : Hanna Andersson...should I do it??

parkersmama
09-29-2003, 09:10 PM
I've really been wanting to get Amy Grace a playdress with leggings to match. Just about the only one I can find is from Hanna Andersson. It's the "it's a playdress/it's a daydress" one plus the opposite stripe leggings. Well, to get it plus the matching socks (which you just about have to get since the colors would be impossible to find) it ends up as a $66 outfit. I just almost never spend that kind of money for children's clothing. I really love the outfit but I'm wondering if it's actually worth it. She's 5 mos old now (almost) and just started sitting up today. I'm figuring that she'll be crawling around Christmas time. Is a dress so impractical for a crawler that I just shouldn't bother? I've never had to deal with dresses and crawling before! Also, I was going to get the size 70 (she's almost 26" tall now), do you think that's the right size? I was thinking that the lilac/purple is the one I'd get. What do you think? Thanks for your input and sorry for so many questions!

MiaPia
09-29-2003, 09:50 PM
IMHO I'd say GO FOR IT! Hannas are just SO soft and wonderful, and they wear like a dream! Besides, you can resell it on eBay when she's outgrown it - which will probably we a long time from now! Hannas last forEVER! My toddler is still wearing wiggle pants that he wore last year at this time!
OH - have you checked eBay? There's always lots of Hannas on there. I actually got Isabella a playdress and opposite stripe leggings on there for $20, and it looks brand new!

emmiem
09-30-2003, 07:52 AM
I love Hanna Andersson. It is the only clothes that you can truly hand down. The fit is fabulous and the washability is great. The only thing I would hesitate about is your choice. Dresses and crawling does not work! Since that is not a dressy dress, you would want to wear it more than occasionally so I would choose another outfit.
Emmie

egoldber
09-30-2003, 08:40 AM
I love that outfit, but personally, I wouldn't buy it now. I would wait until she is walking and then splurge! Sarah crawled for a LONG time and I just never put dresses on her because it was too big of a pain. They got in her way and just got dirty.

For a similar look, have you looked at Lands End? They have similar dresses and leggings combos (prints though, not stripes) which are darling for about half the price.

HTH,

malisa
09-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Denise,
OK, here's my justification...

I say that if it's something you're really crazy about, then get it. It's always good to see your baby in something that you love and that makes you smile. She'll be able to wear it quite a bit before she crawls, and even once she does, there are lots of days when you'll be out running errands where she wouldn't be crawling even if she could. She could wear it on those types of days until she is cruising around. My dd only *soley* crawled for about 3 1/2 weeks. Pretty soon she was pulling up on stuff and standing then cruising most of the time. Now she's mostly walking. I had her in dresses even when she was just crawling.

Now for the price. I just placed my first Hanna order. After deciding most of it was too expensive, I called the outlet in Wa. (woodinville store) and they happily agreed to ship my order. They had 2 different playdress/leggings colors in our size--80. They did not however have socks. I will have to order them from the catalog (at first I thought they were $12 for one pair, too much, but how can you resist). Maybe a different outlet would have the socks and the dress/leggings combo. The playdress we bought (we got the blue multicolor, and the purple/pink was the same $$) was $26 and the leggings $14. The lady who helped me was named Karen. She was great, I even called and changed my order about an hour after I first placed it.

I totally agree with the others about selling on ebay afterwards to make up some of the cost. I actually looked on ebay myself for dd (after I figured out how much $$ it would cost including the socks)
but most of what I found were about $35 +++. I even saw some going for that price listed with a stain or with a hole. I think Mia got a great deal for $20, don't think I've ever seen it that cheap. This is what finally pushed me to get the stuff.

Finally, the lady at the outlet and the catalog said that they are designed to be worn more than one season. So hopefully your dd can wear it again next fall. (I'm counting on it).

Sorry this is so long. I have just totally been dwelling on it myself. I haven't yet received my package. I can't wait, hopefully it's as good as I've built it up to be. I also bought the eyelet crawler, eyelet bloomers, and eyelet mocassins.

HTH
Malisa
mom to Isabella 11-9-02

parkersmama
10-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I've still been stewing over it! I finally found a couple in good condition and for a reasonable price on eBay. The auctions end tonight so we'll see. I set my max bid at 1/2 of what I'd have to pay to get the outfit new (without socks) and I'm hoping to get 'em!

Beth, I love the outfits from Lands' End that you mentioned. I got an angel fleece jumper (from Overstocks) with some leggings to match and got the herb green dress with mulberry colored tights (for church). They are both adorable and you're right, the price is terrific!

Malissa...I'm loving the eyelet stuff as well. I've actually been considering ordering them to go with anything that I don't have leggings for. I'm waiting to see what I end up with from Gymboree (gotta spend my gymbucks!) before I decide what to purchase from Hanna.

Sandy
10-09-2003, 07:34 PM
Denise,

If you don't get the e-bay outfit send me a link to the outfit you are talking about I will call the outlet in my local area and see if they have it and how much it is. I thought I saw something like that last month that was cheaper than it was in the regular store but I wasn't really paying that much attention to girls stuff that day. If they have it for cheaper I would be happy to pick it up for you and ship it out. I know how I get when I see something I absolutely have to have for Alexander.

HTH,
Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

parkersmama
10-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks so much, Sandy! I'll let you know!

Marisa6826
10-09-2003, 11:52 PM
Denise-

If it's any help, Hanna has her big online sale in December/January.

Can you try and hold out??

-m

parkersmama
10-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Well, I won one of the auctions that I was bidding on. It was more than I wanted to pay but still way less than buying new and it's one that's a current color so I can get the matching socks new from Hanna. If I really like this one, I might get another when the sale is on at Christmas time. I really love the red/white opposite stripes set right now but I'm just not feeling justified to spend the $$!