PDA

View Full Version : Long shot, but does anyone know how to REMOVE the fire-retardant stuff from baby's clothes??

aliceinwonderland
02-21-2004, 08:31 PM
I try to buy baby clothes and stuff not coated with such chemicals, but in case some of it is, how do I remove it? By washing it several times? Any particular detergent?? Thanks so much in advance!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-21-2004, 09:00 PM
any detergent will remove it. That is why we used to be told to wash baby clothes in ivory snow, because it is soap rather than detergent and won't remove the fire retardant coating.

I think you should just avoid buying any for two reasons:
1. if it is coated with fire retardant it is because it is not safe otherwise. Removing it makes it unsafe if there is a fire
2. removing it puts it in the water supply and then we all drink it and it gets in our bodies

Better to just avoid it altogether. Honestly I have never even seen anything that is treated. But then I am not buying acetate nightgowns or other nylon pajamas, so it I wouldn't be seeing it.

Cotton and other natural fibers do not have to be treated in order to be fire resistant.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
02-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Just to clarify, its not that cotton and other natural fibers are naturally flame resistant. There are two parts to the fire safety regs for children's sleepwear. Anything loose and/or flowing has to be treated or not labeled for use as sleepwear. Garments that are tight fitting (i.e, not likely to swirl behind you into a fireplace) do not have to be treated to be labeled flame resistant.

This is one of the reasons why many garments that we think of as sleepwear are not called sleepwear. The Hanna long johns come to mind and also the Hanna zippers. While I do use them as sleepwear, they are NOT called that by Hanna, and legally they CANNOT call them sleepwear. Unless cotton garments are very tight fiting they are usually referred to as "lounge wear" or not called anything at all.

Here's the statement from the CPSC:
http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/5125.pdf

And if you're incredibly bored and/or have insomnia, here's the federal regulation:
http://www.cpsc.gov/BUSINFO/frnotices/fr96/frsleepsm.pdf

HTH,

aliceinwonderland
02-21-2004, 09:28 PM
Thanks, your post is actually very informative.
I DEFINATELY avoid buying it: But I did NOT realise (until I read your post) that cottons and such are not treated. I only try to buy 100% cotton and such for my little one, so I should be all set. I was afraid most "sleepwear" type clothes were treated, and when I saw some that said "not intended for sleepwear", I was excited.

Out of curiosity, would it say somewhere on a tag that something has been treated?? How can one tell? I mean, I now know about clothes, but what about bedding, etc? My baby bedding is from Pottery Barn and the Company store. Should I worry about these? (I know there's probably nothing to be done about the mattress, which came from BRU).

Thanks so much again :)

eri and the bean

starrynight
02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Usually stuff isn't treated except possibly nylon stuff. Polyester pajamas are naturally fire retardent, it is a trait of the fabric I guess you could say. As far as I know it isn't treated, just naturally flame retardent. If the tag says 100% cotton it isn't naturally flame retartdent and more than likely is not treated. It will say do not wash in soap to keep flame retardency or something more coherent but to that effect. I can't think straight at the moment LOL.

Downy fabric softner (or possibly any fabric softner?) will remove it also. Says that on the bottle, I don't use other brands so I can't be sure if they do or don't.