PDA

View Full Version : Summer Wardrobe for NEW walkers?

etwahl
02-23-2004, 07:37 PM
i'm hoping some who've been through this can shed some light.

for new walkers (lauren isn't there yet, just crawling, but i sure hope she'll walk sometime this summer), are dresses okay? or should i stick to shorts and capris?

there are a bunch of cute dresses i'm considering (casual, comfy) from hanna (last year's styles) but wondering if it's the best choice for new walkers?

thanks!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

lisams
02-23-2004, 07:46 PM
With DD, once she started walking, it didn't take long for her to get pretty good at it (like 2 weeks). Of course there were tumbles but that was mainly because of her feet or balance, not what she was wearing. She had no problems with dresses. I would just recommend something that covers her knees (like capris) when she is outside since they do take tumbles and it's nice to have something between their knees and the concrete/dirt.

HTH!
Lisa

etwahl
02-23-2004, 07:51 PM
oh that's good then, because all the dresses i'm looking at would also have capris underneath.

so you wouldn't recommend shorts outside?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

egoldber
02-23-2004, 08:59 PM
I would wait until she's a pretty steady walker otherwise there could be lots of skinned knees. You never know how quickly they're going to go from really stumbly to steady walkers.

And the advantage to buying shorts in the summer is that they'll be on sale. Just make sure to buy them before the end of July! :)

pamela mom of 3
02-23-2004, 09:56 PM
One thing to watch for in my experience has been the length of the dress, i found when my girls were little they would bend down you know like crouch and then go to stand and be on the dress then, well fall ;)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

etwahl
02-23-2004, 09:59 PM
that's a good thought. i'm thinking that could actually happen with any length of dress.

drats, a lot of the stuff i have in my basket for hanna (which would make it my second order) is all dresses and shorts :(

gosh i am ADDICTED to hanna...seriously.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

pamela mom of 3
02-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Well not saying no dresses just i wouldn't get a truckload? You know see how things play out.

Swing tops & bike shorts are sorta a nice compromize, what about the nice flutter sleeve & shorts? also those baby soft suits are yummy ;)

I don't know if their is more on their site, i was just grabbing my spring book :D

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

shishamo
02-23-2004, 10:20 PM
I second pamela's point. I remember my DD stepping on her skirt and nearly falling a few times last year, when she was a fairly new walker. If the dress is on the short side, you are fine.
For example, if you take playdresses, Mia's 35" which puts her in a size 90 hanna range, but I actually prefer a size 80 on her when she's going to her gym class (and they do look fine on her).

I really liked the sleeveless swing shirt/capri set from hanna last year. The swing makes it girly, but not too long to get in her way. They have a similar set this year, too in terry fabric.

malisa
02-24-2004, 01:17 AM
This may sound strange but I found that our playdresses caused the least amount of tumbles since they are sooo stretchy, DD could actually stand all of the way up (most of the time) even while standing on the hem. It's the non-stretchy long dresses that caused us the most problems.

HTH

Malisa
mom to Isabella 11/9/02