PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Outfit for picture day

nitaghei
02-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Neel's daycare has picture day next week, and I'd love to hear suggestions on guidelines for an outfit for good pictures. Light clothes/ dark clothes/ solid colors/ one-piece or not/ etc. . . .

The only other "formal" pics of his were around Christmas, where he naturally had to wear a fabulous sweater that my mother had made for him.

TIA

Nita

mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

parkersmama
02-25-2004, 03:26 PM
I guess it's really personal preference but for a little one, I prefer one-piece outfits. As far as color, knowing the color of the background and if there will be any props would help. In general, I think school/daycare pics are pretty casual so a cute romper in a medium to dark color would work well. Maybe green, navy, burgandy, etc. The more solid you can go, the better. Especially thin stripes may look funny in a picture. Wider stripes (ex. LE rugby suit) would probably turn out okay. HTH!

sntm
02-25-2004, 04:40 PM
our daycare pics were classic cheesy school photos, with blue/violet variegated background and the babies in a white wicker chair on a blue rug. he was not dressed for it and the pic even shows the dirty bottoms of his socks (!) but he looked adorable nonetheless. go simple -- one color, one piece.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

amp
02-25-2004, 04:43 PM
We haven't had school pics done, but have had portraits taken. We don't get too fancy. We just put him in something simple that he wears regularly. He's worn one piece short rompers in summer, one piece fleece romper for winter and overalls. All looked adorable. I agree that you should stay away from busy patterned clothing or thin stripes. They don't look right in pics.

nitaghei
02-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks everyone! My instinct was to keep it simple. Now I have to watch the weather. It's in the 40s today and windy and cold, but is supposed to be in mid-60s by the weekend - and who knows what it'll be a week from today.

So I am right in not doing overalls (which is what Neel wears 4 days out of 5?)

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Melanie
02-25-2004, 07:15 PM
I was just going to say to avoid overalls b/c when Ds was that size and would sit in them the bib would come up really high to his chin (or mouth if he wanted to suck on them).

Lighter colors tend to wash babies out I think.

jubilee
02-26-2004, 12:52 AM
My favorite pic of my oldest son (done at 1 yr old) was in overalls, and it was real cute. But it depends on how the overalls fit, if the straps get twisted/crumpled easy. You don't want him to look messy, so whatever you pick make sure it's not wrinkle-prone.