PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shop at H & M?

AdoptChina
02-25-2004, 08:05 PM
I've looked in there a few times........clothes don't seem to be the greatest quality but they are really cheap........picked up a couple of things today just to get us through the next couple of months........

Anyone have any opinions on this store?

brigmaman
02-25-2004, 08:11 PM
It's a fun, inexpensive place to shop! I've only bought a handful of baby clothes there. I like the baby stuff in general except for the Snoopy (oddly, some of the Snoopy stuff isn't THAT bad!) and some of the clothes have some wierd characters on them, too. IMO, they run small and narrow. I did get a few maternity items there that worked out nicely.

momathome
02-25-2004, 10:47 PM
H&M is a mixed bag - the quality is less than stellar but the stuff is very cute and you can get amazing deals. My favorite stuff from them is from their dance clothes line - I found a little wrap dance sweater and leg warmers for Liza very cheap and they have been washed and worn several times. We started a trend - once the little girls in Liza's dance class saw her stuff, they all went out and bought it, too - we joke that we should contact H&M and see if they can be part of an add! As far as clothes go, I had a dress for Liza last year that I loved but after a handful of wears, started to tear at the seams. The jeans seem to hold up well and I got a cute spring jacket last year for Liza that looked identical to the $58 Hanna Wind At Your Back Anorak - except I paid $15 on sale for it at H&M. HTH!!!
-Lauren
ETA - Hair accessories!!! This place has the cutest and cheapest hair accessories on the planet!!!

C99
02-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Like someone else said, it's a mixed bag. I liked their solid color cotton tees for baby boys; Nathaniel had two that were very soft and comfortable and wore well. He also has a few onesies from there that are soft, but the shoulders are stretched out and the snap line is coming away from the t-shirt material at the crotch.

mharling
02-25-2004, 11:38 PM
I have only bought socks there for ds. They are thinner than lots of socks, but I like that if I'm going to be putting shoes on. They stay on pretty well because they are long enough that you can cuff them twice. They have held up decently.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

christic
02-26-2004, 08:53 AM
About half my daughter's clothes are from H&M and they've all held up great. I like them for their funky European look, sort of a cheap version of stuff you'd see in Garnet Hill. It's not the place I would buy tees and leggings for everyday, but it's great for dresses, jeans, sweaters, tights and fun outerwear. We have a cotton velvet pea coat that I paid around $20 for and always gets compliments. I find the clothes to run fairly big, but they have the Euro cm sizes which seem to run much truer than the age sizes. They also have a ton of coordinating clothes so putting outfits together is easy.

And I avoid all of the character stuff, which doesn't look nice to me at all.

Chris

newbelly2002
02-26-2004, 10:45 AM
I've had really good luck with them. I like the fact that the baby clothes are bright, fun, and (with some spring exceptions) options other than sports, trucks, and stripes. Most are also 100% cotton, and no large, plasticky appliques.

They've got a current boys line out that seems to be sort of an Asian dragon/Chinese New Year theme. Their boys sweaters are also wonderful--especially the rollnecks. I'm assuming that the quality and choice selection is the same here (Berlin) as in the States, but I might be off on that front.

For the most part the clothing has held up well to some pretty vigorous wearing. The downside I find is that when they stain, they stain hard. Nothing gets out, oh, say spinach, tomato sauce, etc. They also tend to shrink in my experience, so buy accordingly. I find the socks to be just so-so, a little thin for my tastes. I don't know that I'd trust their winter outer wear, but I'm picky when it comes to that stuff.

Their light hats (for spring and fall) are fantastic. Dante lived in them last season!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

lfp2n
02-26-2004, 11:22 AM
My mum sent over a couple of dresses from H and M in London (I assume theyre all the same) that were really nice, and pretty good quality, lined etc. I think its one of those places you have to look through to find the good stuff.

Lucy

Jen in Chicago
02-26-2004, 12:09 PM
I am in desparate need of pj's size 12-18 mo. A store is opening below my office tomorrow. Will they carry things like this?

momathome
02-26-2004, 12:14 PM
I don't remember seeing kids' pj's in there but I really did not look through the baby section. Have you checked Old Navy or Gap??? Good luck!
-Lauren

Jen in Chicago
02-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Looking for one piece PJ's, which is harder than expected! Will continue my search. Gap has been out of his size, and Old Navy only has 2 piece sets. I bought one for now.

kaismom
02-26-2004, 05:02 PM
I used to haul an extra suitcase just to buy H&M clothes for my kids, as I travel via Europe often for business trips. I found the selection and prices to be great, and really individual styles. I was actually disappointed when they came to the U.S. because then everyone would have access to them! In fact Stefan and another baby in his daycare have even shown up wearing the same H&M clothes to school, once in a while. Oh well :). I have only been to the small H&M stores in the U.S., not the department-sized stores, but the selection in the smaller stores is more limited. Also I found the sizes run kind of funny for babies/young kids (wide and short), then truer on the kids sizes, but on the smaller side for the women's clothes.

In the pic below, Kirsten is wearing an H&M dress and Kai is wearing an H&M sweatshirt (alas, baby is wearing Little Me!).

momathome
02-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Have you considered the Hanna zippers??? Very popular pj's around here that are cotton and one-piece. They can be a little pricey but if you call one of the outlets, they could tell you if they have them i the size you want and ship them to you. Just a thought!
-Lauren