PDA

View Full Version : Informal Poll-Favourite clothing brand

Imperia
02-25-2004, 09:23 PM
I am sure this has been done before, but I was wondering if people would chime in with their favourite clothing brand (overall not just for every day or for special occaisions), why it's their favourite, where they buy it, and if there is something you don't like about it.

Also: do you ever get embarrassed about going into a certain store so often? ie: do the clerks all know your name and taste and start suggesting outfits????

My answers:

(I am sure you gyus who have read even one or two posts by me know by now) Gymboree!

I buy it at the store or online. I often go to the store to see the lines in person, pick up a few things and then do a bigger buying session online after markdowns. My store is smaller and runs out of the good items quickly, even before the sales! I also buy used Gymboree in good condition at my local Once Upon a Child. Sometimes it's a good deal, sometimes it's still fairly pricey..ie today I went into sell some things and they had a pair of pop florals (older line)
bike shorts for $3.50...they should have been 1.50 or 2.00 IMO. I also buy off Ebay or at Ross (gotta love last years lines for over 3/4 off!)

the whys (no particular order):

-good quality: not just that it doesn't fall apart, but looks good even after washing (doesn't shrink, stretch, fade, look ratty etc). The cottons are very soft (especially their newborn sleepers etc, which I find get softer after I wash them).

-resale value

-classic looks, not trendy (even Gymbo that is 4-5 years old still looks cute to me!)

-the clothes look like baby/kid's clothes! (This is very important to me. I hat eit when people put babies in "hootchie mama" clothes. A baby should look like a baby!)

-Cute prints, styles, colours. Lots of stuff with animals (I love animals!) Not everything is pink, and even when it is pink they often use brighter shades outside of the layette lines (ie Tip Toe).

-The way they have everything set up in "lines" with mix and match pieces and tons of accessories. It's not often you see mix and match kids clothes anymore, and they even have baby sunglasses and hair ribbons to match. I am one of those peopel who has to have everything matching or I get annoyed (I know it make sme sound a little insane). I read somewhere else someone was saying Gymbo was brilliant because they made their lines almost like "collectibles", and I love collecting things!

-I actually like their sales (I know some people think I am silly, but I do). I know they are all marketing and sales ploys and artifically high prices so they can mark them down a ton and you feel you "saved", but hey they work and I find them fun.

What would I change about them if I could?

-I would give my town a Tier 1 store (heh!)

-Make sure all the stores had POLITE sales clerks.

-Make sure all the stores followed a consistent policy guidelines.

And last but not least...

I feel SO embarrassed going to Gymboree as often as I do. The entire sales staff knows me as well as my DH and my DD (who is only 5 weeks old! Granted I started going there before she was born.) I always wonder if when they see people like me coming the think, "Oh geez another crazy gymfreak..I wonder what I can get her to buy today!" LOL

It's probably a very good thing there isn't a Hann Anderssen around here because then I might start going there too.

*ETA* Tammy reminded me of the other reason I like Gymboree in her post about Hanna! The fit: my DD is petite and very slender, a lot of items fall off of her, but a lot of Gymboree stuff fits her lean shape well.

Imperia

etwahl
02-25-2004, 09:30 PM
most of lauren's clothes are hanna, i'll admit it. and yep, i have spent a pretty penny on them, but have also gotten some good deals. i've never sold stuff, so i can't say anything about reselling, but i love the styling, the comfort, the quality for sure, and just think the stuff is ultra cute and different. also like them because of the fit. and they just wear for so long. oh yeah, i love that everything coordinates with everything. i have so many pieces that go with other things.

i spend way too much, but i can't resist. i just love the clothes!

i don't know why, but i'm not much of a gymboree fan. i don't go there often, so maybe that's why.

i'm actually glad there's no hanna store near me, though i wish there was an outlet. but if there was one near, i'd probably be divorced with all the money i'd spend there.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Momof3Labs
02-25-2004, 10:14 PM
I'd say that my current favorites are Hanna and Lands End. Both are excellent quality, and the sales have been fantastic. I don't see a lot of kids wearing Hanna around here (though Colin and his "girlfriend" have some matching outfits by coincidence!), and I like that I can dress Colin like a toddler instead of the little man look. Plus, we can get rompers in his size in both brands - a plus since pants don't fit my skinny kiddo well!

We have a Sears opening 5 minutes from our house this spring - I can't wait for the summer sales. Hopefully they will be as good as the last two seasonal clearances!!

I buy most of our Hannas online and most of the Lands End in Sears where the clerks barely look at you, so no embarrassment there.

I do admit, though, that horizontal stripes get a little tiring, but not as tiring as navy everything (think Gymboree toddler boy)...

C99
02-25-2004, 11:10 PM
It's a tie between Babystyle's Softest line and Hanna Anderssen for everyday stuff. Definitely Lands' End for outerwear.

janinegillot
02-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Although I can't afford anything from Oilily, I'd have to say that that would be my favorite. I just think their clothes are colorful, silly, and creative.

Second would be Hanna, and that I can only afford on sale (any more codes, people?)

Third is Gymboree, Fourth is Land's End, which has great quality but mundane fabrics.

Janine

kaitlinsmommy
02-25-2004, 11:56 PM
My favorites are Gymboree & Lands' End.

lrucci
02-26-2004, 12:12 AM
I am also a Gymbo addict, along with Janie and Jack. I love the classic look and the quality of their clothing. Not to mention how adorable DD looks when she wears them. I am not embarassed by how often I go to Gymboree. Actually, it works out in my favor. The sales people are awesome and very helpful because they know my taste.
I am also joining the Hanna fan club. I just placed another order today. The clothes are so soft and I really like the colors.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

JenCA
02-26-2004, 04:02 AM
Hanna, hands down. The clothing is excellent quality and I like the "ready to grow" cuffs on things, which extends the life of the clothing. I love the bright, bold colors (I'm sick to death of nothing but pink, pink, pink on my DD) and I love that I don't see a lot of Hannas around. People are forever asking me where I found her clothes when she's wearing Hanna, so I have to admit that I like that aspect, too.

malisa
02-26-2004, 04:44 AM
1. HANNA

I really like the classic style and we buy a lot. But, it's the sheer durability, practicality, and softness of the stuff that gets me...BAR NONE. I have purchased nothing else that is in this same class for DD so far. And I Love the cs.

2. BABY LULU

Loud and babyish all at the same time. I usually only buy it on sale, and I don't think it can take as much of a beating as the Hanna's (as far as lots of washings). So, I find that I don't dress DD in it as often. But, I really like it.

3. OILILY

This stuff is crazy and I'm crazy for it. Again it's sooo much money for style and not a lot else. It's just the kind of stuff I'd love to buy and take a picture of DD in.

4. GYMBOREE

Some stuff I love, a lot I do not. That being said we buy a fair bit there. When I love it, I usually buy most of it, only on sale. I hate their manipulative marketing schemes, and usually get extremely angry for a short time during Gymbucks (have only done them twice). But, I am realizing that with the sales, the clothes are very cheap and I think they're quite cute. It is growing on me.

I think the quality is average to above average. But, I'm a freak about how clothes wash up. I think you have to be careful with their clothes, but not paranoid. I am comparing them to better brands here.

I personally would love to have a local Hanna and buy more, but spend less on stupid shipping. I have spent a small fortune on s/h there.

Malisa
mom to Isabella 11/9/02

MelissaTC
02-26-2004, 07:38 AM
My favorite clothes for Matthew have been Gymboree followed closely by Baby Gap. Gymboree items make up about 40% of his wardrobe, followed closely by GAP at 30%, 20% The Childrens Place and then a 10% mix of Hanna, Tommy & Polo, Old Navy, Zutano, and boutique brands like Agabang and Absorba. And we can't forget the cool thing we pick up at Target! LOL...

I like the quality and softness of Gymboree items. I will say that I have not shopped there since November and have become really annoyed with their sales gimmicks, boring boy clothes and declining quality. But their clothes are still nice and if something peaks my interest, I will be back in there...

I used to LOVE GAP until they revamped their layette line last spring. DS used to fit perfectly in their clothes and now, some things run BIG and some run SMALL. Go figure. I did notice a huge difference when he was wearing 6-12 mo. items and I bought some new things after the revamp. Well, he didn't fit into the same sized items (we are talking a romper overall and onesie) until months later because they were wide and long.

Hanna fits my DS a little big but I like the colors and style. Tommy and Polo items seem to fit him perfectly and I enjoy the quality and style as well.

The Childrens Place has some great deals and I go there to buy his jeans. 2 for $20 is a great deal. He is very rough on his clothes now and these jeans have really held up. Makes me very happy! I also like the little t-shirts and basics. I am not a fan of their pjs or onesies because they have all shrunk on me, following the directions on the tags and hang drying them. Makes me mad! But overall, I like their things and they probably fit him the best.

I would consider Matthew to be a petite toddler. He is 10% for his weight and his height has dropped to about 35%.

bluej
02-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Hanna for all of my kids. The comfort, the style (I've stated many times that I refuse to put my 10 year old DD in most of the clothing you find in most stores), the quality, the colors.

Other brands I like for Ryden are:

Zutano. I think they are comfortable, fun and the quality is pretty good as well (not Hanna quality, but better than average).

Babystyle. Once again comfort and quality and well, I don't like for EVERYTHING to be bright.

80% of my clothes shopping is done over the internet so I don't have to deal w/ stores, clerks and anyone thinking I shop too often at their store. Although, this month, Lands End would tell you otherwise since I have placed three orders w/ them in the past 10 days. Lands End is my current fave for Caden and for outerwear for all of my kids.

Marisa6826
02-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Caroline-

I'm totally with you on BabyStyle and Hanna. Petit Bateau stuff is adorable and nicely made. It also wears well. Fortunately there's an outlet not too far from here, so that's the only time I buy PB. About 95% of Sophie's stuff is from these three places at the moment

Lands' End is also great for summer stuff (and Sophie's snow suit). I have a bunch of summer clothing I bought last year on clearance, so I have high hopes for it soon!

I like Gap jammies, onesies (great "camisole" strapped ones for summer) and their outlet sweats/one piece outfits if you can find them. Talbots Kids stuff is beautiful, but I only buy it on sale.

Zutano, although seemingly hard to find here.

Once in a blue moon Janie and Jack (can't stand so much pink) and even rarer yet, Gymbo.

-m

vpalmer
02-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Count me in as a Gymboree fan. I agree with most of Imperia's reasons. I love the quality of their clothes, which seem to get softer the more you wash them. I believe that one of the main reasons I am drawn to Gymboree rather than other high quality baby clothes is because I can visit the store IRL and see and touch the clothing. As many of us already know, seeing something online and IRL can spark two totally different reactions. How many of us have sworn that we disliked a line of clothing (Gymobree Strawberry line comes to mind) and then when we see it IRL, we admit the clothing is much cuter and we buy several pieces?

Another aspect of Gymboree clothing that I love is the mix and match aspect. Gymboree is great at using the same color schemes even in different lines so you can even mix and match pieces throughout different lines. For example, Eva has the striped cardigan from the cupcake line that I have been able to pair with her tulip leggings and green tee with embroidered tulips. It is great when I can get extended use from a sweater, because let's face it, even on sale sweaters are not all that cheap!

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born on 6-12-03

pamela mom of 3
02-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Well FWIW, i don't actually have a "favorite" I'm all over the place, I do admit tho the bulk of my childrens clothing is probably gymboree & Please Mum{their Canadian}

Why i like gymboree?
The clothing on the whole is soft & washes & wears well at least IME, i do pass things down from my eldest daughter to my middle daughter so i do like something of quality. Gymboree runs alot of sales, i don't pay full price for anything except possibly underwear and socks but those you can buy in a group discount buy so many for $__.

Their leggings are probably the biggest reason i ever enter the store, my girls are both tall and slim, my eldest being the worst for this, their leggings go with many things and are long enough for the girls without falling down!

I am more into their "girls" clothes, my son has some clothes from there but it's harder their shirts are always plain, my son likes something on his shirts you know..trucks, something etc. I truely believe if i had all boys i wouldn't shop there as much the boys selection just isn't there, so i guess that is my "what don't i like part" not enough boys clothes... The 2nd part of my don't like with gymboree is sometimes the stuff is just simply too pretty for day-to-day wear, while i like my girls to be dressed like girls i don't always want froo-froo dressed to the nines sorta thing.

Over the years i have learned to shop there, you tend to have to use a wait and see approach at some point it'll go on sale their overpriced when normal price, with discounts you can get some pretty good deals sometimes.

Please Mum, well i like them because they are resonable in price, quality is good also..their clothes are cute without being too dressy for more day-to-day outfits but the selection is not as much as some other brands, they don't offer big lines which can make it more difficult to make them the only place to buy.

After that the brands run all over, childrens place, old navy, gap, roots, hanna, lands end, osh gosh etc...

I have noticed i have become more & more into lands end & hanna after giving their clothes a try but i have to limit that somewhat due to costs as my dollar is not worth the same ;)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

shishamo
02-26-2004, 11:24 AM
HANNA!!!

I love the bright colors (that doesn't show stains and also cute on them), how it gets so soft after repeated washings, even the hand me downs are in great shape. I also think it's amazing how LONG you can wear them. I don't know any other brand that the kids can wear 2 (or more) years in a row. So, even though the price is high (and I only buy things on good sale and at ebay) I think it's worth it.
Now that my 4 year old clearly prefers Hanna stuff over others (he claims they are more comfy), I feel that I'm doing him a favor, too.

I really like Zutano, but the quality isn't as good as Hanna.

I also love Oilily, but it's so damn expensive and I don't think it's as practical for everyday as Hanna.

I was never a big fan of Gymboree for some reason, I suppose that's a good thing, between Hanna and Gymbo I could be in really big trouble!

blnony
02-26-2004, 11:49 AM
My favorites in order:
Hanna, Gymboree and Lands End.

Hanna because they can worn so long. They are made wonderfully, the fabrics are long lasting and the sizes are great. I feel that I get my money's worth out of these. And the sytles are very classic too. Not fadish.

Gymboree because the fit is great and they too are made well. I've never had quality issues with Gymboree and they fit Audrey very well. I also like that a majority of their lines look like little girls clothes and not adult clothes. (A majority, not all) I do go a lot but I don't feel bad, thats how they stay in business. There are stores for me that I frequent a lot too and I like that they know me and I get good service.

Land's End is also great quality, and great basic pieces. They also seem to last longer in sizes and wash so well.

Resale on all these is good, but I like the fact that I can catch sales at all these places and feel as though I get my money's worth out of the clothes. I like the feel of the fabrics and they all wash so well compared to other baby clothes I've had.

lfp2n
02-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Baby Gap for everyday when I buy it here,
Mothercare and Marks and Spencer for everyday when my mum sends it to me (they have lots of really nice good quality stuff thats a little different to what everyone here is wearing-but would be the same as everyone else if I was living in the UK).

Monsoon for special stuff.

Lucy

khakismom
02-26-2004, 11:59 AM
My favorite is absolutely Hanna. Love the syles, the colors, and most of all, the quality. I love that I can get 2 seasons of wear out of their stuff. (And that you don't see every kid on the street in their stuff. :))

Next fav is Talbot's. We have quite a few pieces from here, and again, the quality is superior. Plus, the styles are so cute and very classic and traditional. Can't go wrong with anything from Talbot's--and maybe it's because 90% of MY wardrobe is from Talbot's.

Next would be a tie between BabyGap and Gymbo. Lots of stuff from these 2 stores. Very cute stuff, decent prices, good for mixing and matching.

parkersmama
02-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Overall, I'd say Gymboree is my favorite. Over the years, that's where a large number of our kid's clothing has been purchased. I love their colors, quality, mix-n-match-ibility, and (although they are annoying) their sales.

But, for older boys, Lands' End probably wins my vote. Their clothes wash so well, fit well, they have great CS, and their prices are reasonable. The best jackets and sweats around.

Hanna is another fave but I don't buy much because I can't afford to outfit 3 kids at their prices! :)

Little Ladybug
02-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Overall, I would say Gymboree is my favorite. DS is still in the layette lines at the moment, so we've gotten some really cute stuff from Gymboree. My current favorites are his alligator "Chomp Chomp" pieces - We have practically the entire line. I will be so sad when he gets too big to wear the 12-18 month stuff - I agree with everyone else that their older boys' lines just aren't as creative.

I know that a lot of people aren't big fans of the pale blue look for boys, but my DS is very fair, so it's a really good color on him. So, the pale blues of a lot of the Janie and Jack lines look great on him! I love J&J's quality (although not their prices), and I like that they at least a little different than stripes, stripes, stripes. I am LOVING their new spring lines for boys - frogs and whales? Too cute. :)

Thanks to the ladies on this board, I am fast becoming a fan of Hanna! The pieces I have ordered are for spring/summer, so DS hasn't worn them yet, but I am looking forward to it. The bright colors and soft fabrics are just great.

I also love dressing DS in boutique-type clothes, especially right now since he's a baby. I love smocking and seersucker, stuff like that!

Elizabeth

nathansmom
02-26-2004, 10:04 PM
I love Hanna. The only other person I've seen wearing the stuff in my state is Celeste so we always get asked where we've bought our clothes at.
2nd favorite-Gymboree. Yes they know us there. When new lines come in they call me and tell me what they have. If I call ahead and say I'm coming in they usually will put things in Nathan's size on hold for me.
I also buy alot of babystyle softest line.
I also shop Old Navy and Gap but I'm a little picky on items from there.

suribear
02-26-2004, 10:53 PM
My favorites are Gymbo, Hanna, Landsend, babygap, Le Top. I think that's about it!

I'm sure the Gymbo people talk about me because I'm a major bargain hunter - go straight for the clearance racks LOL They seem to complain about the customers an awful lot, in front of other customers. Always making snide remarks. I guess they see a lot of fraud or whatever, but it's a turnoff for me to hear those remarks! They are nice to me, however, and comment about my kids.

Kris

elvisfan
02-27-2004, 01:37 AM
I like Gymboree best-particularly the layette lines-basically due to the adorable designs and good quality.
I used to be a big Baby Gap fan, but in the last year the styles have been too bland.
I tried with Hanna.....and it just never grew on me.........

ismommy
02-27-2004, 09:42 AM
I would say at the moment Hanna and Keedo. I used to love Gymboree but their lines havn't thrilled me lately. just recently discovered Hanna (thanks to these boards) and I can't get enough.
Keedo is a clothing from south africa - there is a shop in VA. I love their stuff and it wears very well and super cozy. The colors are bright and fun and you don't see other people in the same stuff. They also have the UV protection wetsuit that Bella has had every summer which I love
For moms of boys - you should check them out.
http://www.keedo.co.za/kids/home/default
They have some different animal thems - I know I have seen giraffes and zebras and I think rhinos. Of course they aren't showing that much of the boy stuff online.
I know the woman in VA is very helpful and will describe what she has and send it. I have heard her talking to customers when I have been in the store.
I have also seen it on ebay
edited to add a few links
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3463739241&category=11475
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3463398344&category=3056
( cats that aren't pink:) though its is a huge size.

ginamlee
02-27-2004, 02:54 PM
For my youngest, my favorite by a long shot is BABY LULU! 95% of Autumn's wardrobe is this brand. The other brands include Baby Gap, Gymboree and Hanna Andersson.

My 6 year old son primarily wears Gap Kids and Ralph Lauren - and Lands End for school uniforms.

My 12 year old daughter primarily wears Limited Too and Gap Kids.

My 13 year old daughter primarily wears Abercrombie - and Lands End for school uniforms.

As much as I shop for clothes, none of my local stores would know me...I'm the internet shopping queen. ;)

I always tell people that if they like these brands for their kids, they should join my Yahoo group ebaynotify. When my kids are done with their clothes, I sell them for 99 cents on eBay. :) It's going to be a Baby Lulu fiesta come August or so when I sell Autumn's 3 and 6 months fall/winter stuff. I'd venture to guess that she has over 100 outfits. (Yes, my husband does think I'm insane...)

nitaghei
02-27-2004, 03:03 PM
The elephant shirt is adorable! A trip to Arlington is in my future - hopefully when the next daycare flex spending check comes in.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

ismommy
02-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Nita,

Let me know - I am always up for a keedo trip and then can give you the squall jacket.
I haven't been to the Arlington one yet just the Alexandria. Right nw they are having 30% off their winter stuff

liamsmama
02-28-2004, 02:48 AM
I love Gymboree. I'm a huge fan of the whole mix and match thing. I love getting several pieces from one line and having them all go together.

However, I haven't tried Hanna yet. I would really like to...Maybe I'll take the plunge soon. :)

vikivoly
02-28-2004, 06:38 PM
You can add me to the list of Gymboree fans. I love the overall style and quality of their clothes. I like the fact you can mix and match several pieces to make a variety of different outfits. I find this very convenient for the diaper bag outfit. I try to keep a coordinating top and bottom in my diaper bag, that way if I need to change just the top, I don't have to change her entire outfit.

I buy 99% of things in the store. I only ever buy online if it's something my store doesn't carry. I like to keep business local when at all possible and don't like paying shipping fees. Plus, PA doesn't charge sales tax, so there is no advantage to buying online.

Sometimes there are certain lines I don't care for, but other than that, price is their biggest downfall. I think $30 for a pair of jeans is ridiculous. I'm proud to say I've never paid full price for anything in Gymboree.

I've been embarrassed to go in there from time to time. As I posted in another post, most people don't spend that much money on their baby clothes around here. Although I do get a secret grin when DH's PITA cousin is working and I check out with a $200 order. ;)