PDA

View Full Version : shoes- laces or velcro?

jubilee
02-28-2004, 05:58 AM
I have to start looking into new shoes for DS and want to replace his Jack and Lily's with a solid sole shoe. In shopping online I saw a few varieties that have velcro, which I'm sure are easier to put on, but also for him to take off! LOL! I can't imagine keeping his foot still long enough to tie laces, do you find that a problem? I usually only have him wear shoes when we leave the house, so is it better to have laces or velcro?

iluvmy2boys
02-28-2004, 09:10 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Preschoolian shoes (http://preschoolians.com) They are wonderful (have different style shoes based on if your child is walking, crawling, or just just learning to stand) are scuff-free, MACHINE washable and dryable (AWESOME), have a window on the bottom of the shoe to tell if your child has outgrown the shoes or not, come with 3 inserts (medium, wide, narrow) and overall, have KICK BUTT customer service! I have NEVER dealt with such a company that is in it to please their customers so much!

But - they ARE pricey but there is a 20% off coupon code that expires today. thankspaula is the coupon code :) And if you need help trying to decide what size or what style to get, you can email them OR you can click on the live chat button on the top right hand coner of the page (if it's not visible, jsut email).

The shoes are SOOOO cute! (pic attached of Holden in his shoes :))

parkersmama
02-28-2004, 10:28 AM
It's a tough question because it's pretty personalized. :) You'll find that it's pretty much split around here on this issue. On the velcro side of the spectrum, if you've got a wiggly and uncooperative shoe wearer, velcro is great. But if he's into shoe removal, they can be a pain. As for laces, they are definitely harder to get on and harder for him to get off. Also, they may come untied. We usually do a double-knot.

Although over the years, we've had both times, I'd say that 80% of ours have been laces. I just like them better because I prefer "classic" shoes and they usually have laces rather than velcro (I'm not into light-ups, etc). Wesley does have a pair of velcros right now for playing outside which makes life easier for me since he can pretty much put them on by himself. Parker also wore slip-on sneakers with the elastic laces last summer for the same reason. But, once he started learning to tie the laces, I didn't want him to have the elastic or velcro kind since he wouldn't learn that way.

So, it all boils down to personal preference. Maybe you could take him to the store and let him walk around a bit in each kind and see how they do. Another thing, the two types often fit differently. If he has a very narrow foot, the velcro kind almost certainly will not provide a tight enough fit. The velcro is stiff and limited in how far it can be tightened. Laces can be cinched up perfectly to adjust for the fit.

HTH!

pamela mom of 3
02-28-2004, 10:38 AM
On the whole most shoe stores will tell you laces give a better fit since they are very adjustable vs velcro you only have so much you can do.

I find right now with my youngest due to his foot being a bit on the widER end the laces are a better choice for fit purposes, alot of the velcro ones the straps are not long enough to fully do up.

When they get older and are into doing it themselves you may find velcro more appealing, or for school my 5yo must have velcro we have not tackled laces yet.

I would say 95% of my sons shoes have been lace, since the velcro have been very hard to get a good fit with.

GL! :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif