PDA

View Full Version : Do clothes for baby really matter where you live????

elvisfan
02-28-2004, 06:02 AM
All modesty aside, my girls look like a million bucks. They are always dressed to the nines. Really, they look like walking ads for Gymboree.
That said, I was thinking about things and I realized that very few folks around here(meaning where I live) bow down to the Gymbo Gods and even fewer are into Hanna or some of the other European designers. Ditto for things like strollers(My Pliko and Safetech Jogger get stares all of the time).
Are people baby-fashion conscious where you live??????????

EDITED TO ADD: Around here, Gracos,Jeep and Evenflos rule. I have seen two PP Tender Twins,though.And one Inglesina. For clothes..well,I don't recognize a lot of it, so I'm assuming it's Walmart,Target,et. al as I keep pretty good tabs on the higher end stuff........I have seen the HA giraffe jacket once.........

Imperia
02-28-2004, 06:24 AM
I think this really depends. If you live in a large city like New York or LA I would imagine it's more of an issue. I live in Nevada now, I am from California though, and people have always stared at me and my clothing because, to be honest people around here dress very casually. Jeans and tee shirts are it pretty much. I don't even own a pair of jeans, and I prefer skirts or dresses to pants. It's the same way with the way children are dressed around here, tee shirts and jeans mostly. I made a concerted effort to notice children's clothing and I have never seen anyone wearing Oilily etc. I don't even see kids wearing Gymboree (which is why when people say they see hundreds of kids wearing Gymboree I don't feel that applies to my daughter and I), but granted, there is only one store in this area and the next closest one is hours away. I would say this is sort of a Baby Gap, Carter's type of town.

Speaking of the stroller thing...my husband took informal polls everytime we went to the mall. He scoped out what everyone else was using (Graco 99% of the time). We still decided to get a Plikomatic and I think I have seen 2 or 3 others around town. Although there is a very fancy high end baby store in town which sells Peg, Pali, Ragazzi, Baby Lulu and as I said we have a Gymboree, so someone must buy this stuff. I don't hang out with most of my neighbours though, so I haven't checked out their baby products.

Imperia

elvisfan
02-28-2004, 06:46 AM
I lived in NV for a spell myself(Reno area)

Imperia
02-28-2004, 07:08 AM
Heh,

I live in Reno, so perhaps you nkow of what I speak. I am from the Bay Area originally though.

Imperia

elvisfan
02-28-2004, 07:17 AM
>Heh,
>
>I live in Reno, so perhaps you nkow of what I speak. I am
>from the Bay Area originally though.
>
>Imperia
Isn't that funny? I actually lived in Sparks(but I also call it reno). One thing I noticed was that people were often behind in trends. Example...remember how girls used to wear their socks "layered" back in the 80s. When I got to NV in '96, they were doing it then........

parkersmama
02-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Around here there is a certain group of people (the wealthy/elite) who dress their children very particularly (smocked outfits for every day wear, Baby Lulu, Oilily, etc). They think nothing of plunking down big bucks for their kids to look perfect. Then there's a *huge* Kelly's Kids, Ragsland, etc. market that a lot of the SAHMs dress their kids in. We have Gymboree but I don't see other kids in their stuff *that* often (despite the fact that the store is always crowded). I have one friend who buys from Hanna. Everyone else I know has either never heard of them or thinks they are outrageously expensive. The closest Baby Gap is an hour away so there's some of that but not too much. I'd say it's mostly a Old Navy/Osh Kosh/Carter's/WalMart/Target sort of city. I rarely see a fancy stroller and most people think my Britax carseats are beyond cool and highly unusual. It's a Graco/Evenflo world around here. :)

pamela mom of 3
02-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Well in my part of the world lol ;)

I'd say it's inbetween, we are getting more brands and more stores in Canada so you are seeing more um, upper end choices on the whole however still most things if you want different have to come from the USA.

For instance i was in childrens place with my kids and the sales girl really liked my sons coat, a LE squall with puppy dogs i commented it was from the US, she said she though so :D

I do see other gymboree clothing about on kids, since it's one of the few more common upper clothing brands, however since old navy arrived here a few years ago it's taken quite a chunk of the clothing i see, almost every person who walks by you at the mall is carrying one of their bags lol

Hanna i would seriously doubt you would see often if at all, they must do well for selling to this country since they have a good shipping set-up for here but i don't ever see anything on kids here..i know my girls have gotten alot of nice feedback on their playdress sets.

Strollers lol, ah, well as a former collector no, our "higher end" for years has been perego, then of coarse with oodles of graco, evenflo, cosco, kolcraft and the standard sea of cheapie umbrellas. However we are moving up in the world, if one chooses to hunt down a few more upper end stores...we do have bugaboo, mountain buggy, maclaren and even inglesina arrived last year...however combi and aprica are not here & their are other brands that have yet to arrive, if ever.

Britax, has one seat here the marathon which they took FOREVER to finally get here, before that we did have the roundabout.

So basically if i want something "different" it involves buying from the US or doing a search... so guess on the whole i'd say varied....our kid choices are getting better but we still have a way to go IMO :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

etwahl
02-28-2004, 11:40 AM
one other friend here buys hanna, which actually surprised me. i'd say most other people here DON'T shop online. i mostly buy lauren's clothes online. they probably stick with jcpenny, target, walmart, carters stuff, etc.

lauren's clothes are mostly hanna, and i do get compliments on them, but one reason i like them is because they're NOT fussy! they're just cute and comfy. i know i like to be comfortable, so i dress her that way also. i don't have any fussy things for her right now. i love some of the baby lulu stuff, and will probably check out oilily when we're in a mall that carries it, but i have a hard time dressing her in things that don't look comfortable.

my friend the other day asked how many strollers i have now when i bought my latest - a P3. i don't think she understands AT ALL. she has one stroller - a graco, and it's her only one....

most people locally here would never understand my obsessive research tendancies! and that includes clothes, strollers, diaper bags, etc. but i love it. it's definitely addictive :) (sorry this got onto more than just clothes!)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

momathome
02-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Defintely a mix out here in the Philadelphia/King of Prussia suburbs! In my neighborhood, you see a fair mix of Gymboree, Lands End, Gap, Old Navy, Osh Kosh, Carters, and Target. There are a few Peg Perego and Combi strollers in my neighborhood, but not many. We are much more of a Gracoland so my metallica P3 gets a lot of attention. Occasionally, at the K of P mall, I will see kids dressed in Hanna and Oilly, sometimes Baby Lulu, but it is more of a rarity. I defintely take more care in dressing my girls than most other people I know but I love having girls and have become obsessed with girl clothes! The bulk of their wardrobe has become Gymboree and Hanna, with a sprinkling of Oilly, Osh Kosh, Mulberribush, Lands End, Gap, Flapdoodles, So Fun Kids, and Old Navy thrown in for good measure. I buy what I like and don't stay loyal to any one particular brand but I do aim for good quality. Osh Kosh, Old Navy and Gap are for their play clothes.
As far as strollers go, I have seen quite a mix at K of P - lots of Pegs, Maclarens, and Combis, a few Inglesinas and Chiccos, and I finally saw one Bugaboo. There are also plenty of the cheapo brands.
-Lauren

nathansmom
02-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Gymboree, Gap and Old Navy are big here. So when Nathan goes anywhere in his Hanna's we are stopped and asked where we bought our clothes at.
Graco stroller land here. I do see a few pegs. Celeste and I own the only Zoopers around here. I've never seen anyone with any other type of stroller.

LucyG
02-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Tammy, I totally understand about the obsessive research tendencies! I'm the same way. When my friends are pregnant now, they call me to ask about products, because they know I've researched all of them! When someone tells me they like something (DD's outfit, my shopping cart cover, etc.), I have to stop myself from explaining all of my research and where I finally bought whatever it is! I know that most people just don't care, but it's fun for me!

JenCA
02-28-2004, 12:57 PM
I see a pretty good mix where I live (Northern CA), but I'd say most babies around here are dressed in Gymbo, Gap and boutique clothing(Petit Beateau, etc.) I very rarely see other babies dressed in Hanna (part of the reason I find Hannas so desirable). As for strollers--there's also a pretty good mix here--lots of Macs, Pegs, Gracos. I have a Bugaboo, and I've only see a few other people with one where I live.

newbelly2002
02-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Let's see, for clothes I see lots of Pampolina, C&A, H&M, and the occasional Jacadi, and Petit Bateau. I can honestly say that other than Dante's fleece and sweater I have never seen another Hanna.

As far as strollers, tons of Teutonia, Quinnys, Harco (sp?), Bugaboos, and...

Oh, should I really not be answering this question :)

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

Melanie
02-28-2004, 01:25 PM
No, not many.

Actually, I do see the "little man" look on some toddlers. So I guess the answer would be if it matters to some they probably buy Osh Kosh Gymbo or BabyGap...but it's not like everyone. Most boys I see are in the character or sports screen-print type shirts. Girls, well, they've got cute clothing no matter where you buy it so that makes it hard to tell how much time and energy are put into their outfits.

Most strollers are Graco/Evenflo/Eddie Bauer. Sometimes I see other Chiccos. If you see anything nicer than those it is usually a Peg...on occasion a Maclaren. Now, keep in mind I'm in the burbs, but I've not seen anything like bugaboo, pram, bebecar, inglesina...etc. We've got the only Bertini I've ever seen IRL.

khakismom
02-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Where I live, most kids have the labels, but yet it's considered a bit of chic to wear some Target too. I see more Gymbo and Gap here than anything! But I see a fair amount of Hanna too, and other higher-end brands, mixed in with Target. My area of town is pretty cosmopolitan and people here are doodied when they leave their house. SAHMs never look like they've rolled out of bed; instead they are always very put together, with the whole outfit working. Everyone I see carries a Kate Spade bag (it's probably though because she's from here). But there's a ton of disposable income where I live so moms here are very baby-fashion-conscious.

As for strollers, yes there are Gracos--they make up most--but there always seems to be alot of Pegs and Macs too rolling around here. I think most of the moms here though spend their money on the clothes and not the stroller. :)

vikivoly
02-28-2004, 06:22 PM
I live in Wal-mart heaven. Other than dept. stores - Sears, Bon-ton, etc. the only other place is Gymboree. We don't have a baby Gap, Old Navy or Children's Place. Most of the parents dress their babies in Wal-mart clothes - we don't even have a Target. Sweatpants rule around here. I do see some babies in Gymboree and Old Navy, but not much. Carters is considered high end in baby clothes. I've never seen or spoke with anyone who even heard of Hanna.

I'm like you, DD is always dressed nice when we go out in public. I'm constantly getting compliments on her outfits. I buy mostly Gymboree, followed by Old Navy and Gap.

I can honestly say that I've never seen a stroller other than Graco, Kolcraft or Evenflo. Well, there was one exception. I was in Sears and saw a Yuppie looking couple (very out of place in these parts) with a Peg. It was kind of funny because we both sorta stopped and checked out eachother's baby gear. I could tell she was as surprised to see my Zooper as I was to see her Peg!

ETA: Sorry Denise and Alan, but I don't even bother recommending your book to most of my pregnant friends in the area. I know they would just be blown away and wouldn't consider purchasing anything other than a Graco and Carter's clothing.

parkersmama
02-28-2004, 07:12 PM
That must be the key to what brought us all together and the glue that keeps us here! We all bought "the" book because of our researching tendancies and had to dig further...which led us to this site. And of course, our need to spread our knowledge keeps us here helping others and "feeding" our need! LOL!

toomanystrollers
02-28-2004, 09:09 PM
We live in the 'burbs - but at my dd's preschool - I've seen some Hanna, lot of LE, LL Bean and then Baby/Kid Gap, Gymbo, Target, Old Navy... As for strollers, I think I have the only kiwi in a 40 mile radius LOL - tons of Gracos and a good representation of Pegs.

If I ever spot a mama around here with a MB, kids in Hanna, ISM bag and perhaps a zolo sling - I'll definitely know she's "one of us" :)

Jenmv
02-29-2004, 09:44 AM
First off, I live in the midwest and based on my experiences elsewhere I have always noticed this area to be at least 1-2 years behind when it come to fashion. By and large you don't see kids out dressed to the nines but you don't see the parents dressed that way either. We have a Gymbo and Baby gap which seems to sell out of stuff fairly early so someone is buying it. If I lived in the more affluent 'burbs I imagine I would see more of that there. Places like JC Penneys, Kohls and Old Navy are very popular. I see tons of ON. Target, Meijer and Walmart are also popular. We only live about 45 minutes from the Michigan City outlet but I have NEVER seen anyone else in Hanna or Oilily(sp?). I have never seen anyone with Robeez. I get raves about the Robeez all the time when out with DD. We have maybe two high end boutique type stores. I have only seen Robeez at the local Stride Rite and they have only recently started carrying them. They only carry about 5 styles and when I commented on them to the sales clerk I could tell that she wasn't really familiar with them.

Our BRU opened up about two years ago. Since BRU has opened up I have seen a few Peg and Combi strollers. Those are slowly becoming more popular. The thing that cracks me up the most is that the majority of people I talk to think that the Eddie Bauer car seats are "high end". They've never even heard of Britax. They're obviously not Baby Bargains readers :) !

iluvmy2boys
02-29-2004, 10:00 AM
I now live in SE Va, but up until last summer, I lived in NoVa. Clothing brands that were common up in NoVa were Gymbo, BabyGap, Hanna, Lands End. Shoes were almost always Stride-Rites and Robeez for the younger babes! LOL For strollers they were mostly Pegs, Maclarens and Combis. (both for single and double strollers). A few other high ends were found there as well .... Inglesina's, Mountain Buggy, etc.

Down here in SE Va, Gracos, Evenflos, Kolcrafts, etc are very common strollers while the higher-end strollers can usually be found in the nicer malls in the area. Clothes look to generally be Old Navy, Walmart, Target, department store stuff.

I'm sort of middle of the road. My boys almost exclusively wear BabyGap/Gap and Gymboree with a few walmart, kmart, target things thrown in for good measure. (the cheapy stuff is usually used for playclothes outside in the mud or for my oldest, school clothes since he gets paint everywhere LOL) I've owned Pegs, Maclarens and currently have a combi stroller - though I have owned a couple of gracos and a kolcraft cheapy in the past.

nyc mom
02-29-2004, 01:47 PM
As someone accurately said earlier, it's a whole different thing in NYC (where Gymboree and Baby Gap are decidedly down market). Baby purchasing is just as crazy as adult purchasing. I am committed not to get caught in the name game too much. Why spend $100s on articles of clothing (not even whole outfits) that are going to to be outgrown quickly and spit up on? The important thing is that she is comfy.

(Of course, this doesn't prevent me from browsing at Daffy's for items that are 75% off their European-import retail prices.)

We do have a Bugaboo (just like it seems everyone else who has puchased a stroller in the city in the last 8 months), but it's b/c my 6'4" DH really liked the way it handled and you really do need a rugged stroller in NYC.

MartiesMom2B
02-29-2004, 10:42 PM
If walking was my main mode of transpo as in NYC, I'd have a Bugaboo too!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

houseof3boys
02-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Um, I'd say super baby fashion concious. There is a plethora of all of the clothes that we all covet and don't even get me started on strollers. While there are the land of the Gracos in the suburbs here in Atlanta in their Carters and Osh Kosh outfits, there are masses of hip moms and babies everywhere. I cannot keep up, nor would I want to!!!

I think if I lived somewhere else, I would still dress Ryan the exact same way! I love online shopping despite the fact there are probably 8 malls within 15 minutes from me....Really. :)

C99
02-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Jen,

Where in Michigan/Indiana/Illinois do you live?

C99
03-01-2004, 12:08 AM
I have no idea how to answer this question. I can more accurately answer the question for my social circles than for where I live, although if I had to, I'd say it's a mixed bag in both cases.

I see recognizable brand-name (Hanna, Land's End, Baby Gap) baby and little kid clothes on some of the kids in my neighborhood in Chicago, but unless I know the kid or the mom, I don't really pay that much attention. In my playgroup (7 kids), I see a lot of Babystyle, Baby Gap, Osh Kosh and Old Navy. Playgroup is a little different, though, because we all got hooked into Babystyle through one of the moms and we talk about clothing during playgroup a lot. I don't see a lot of mini-fashionplates walking around with their mothers (although I see plenty of them with their nannies!).

I guess I have not ever really thought about it, but I know that I get stopped a lot by people asking me where I got my sling or where I got Nate's Robeez. And yesterday, we had Nate at the park in his Zoo Pals Hanna jacket and 3 parents stopped either my husband or me to ask where we got it.

Strollers tend to be less important in my neighborhood, although I've seen quite a few Pegs and Zoopers in my neighborhood. Whenever I ask someone in my neighborhood what their stroller is, they usually answer "I dunno." But if I go a few blocks east, I see a ton of high-end strollers: MBUS, SilverCross, Martinelli (?), etc.

jubilee
03-01-2004, 12:57 AM
My DH lovingly calls me anal-retentive in my baby research quest, and refers you all of you as my bad influences. LOL!

jubilee
03-01-2004, 01:10 AM
I live in the blue collar area of Portland, OR so the norm is Target brand clothes, and high end is OshKosh or even Carters. I have several Gymboree outfits for DS and people ask where they are from, even though we have a Gymboree at the mall (20-30 minutes away). His Jack and Lily shoes are always commented on, and they are just the simple stars pattern! But if I travel just west of Portland it's white collar and everyone's baby is in the top lines. It's just a matter of neighborhood here.

Dcclerk
03-01-2004, 01:54 AM
I live in LA, and as you can imagine, it is ultra-baby conscious. In fact, my little guy in primarily his Charlie Rockets and Pepper Toes is pretty common-place. We have a Babystyle store a mile away, and so anything there is ultra-common. I have a friend who dresses her one year old in Paper Denim, so that is about the level we're talking about. Last year Bugaboos were unusual, but now you can't go on a walk without running into at least one. I have been stopped often for my MBST when I had the carrycot, but the MBUD is common, also. I even see a ton of KKAPs around. Honestly, I can't think of anything that we've talked about on the board that can't easily be found, but I will say that I usually get it BEFORE most people here;) (I'm convinced that the Babystyle buyers monitor this board and buy accordingly:) !)

Jennymarie
03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
We used to live in a posh area north of NYC, and we're in the Hartford, CT burbs now. There is definitely a difference in how parents dress their kids (and themselves), and personally, I find it a welcome change. Even though we could afford to buy higher end clothing for our kids, and even if I might enjoy dressing them up, I try to be disciplined about it because its *really* important to me that my kids not become overly materialistic or label-conscious. I think most parents in our social circles share this feeling.

As a result, most people buy Baby Gap, Old Navy, Target, Children's Place, Osh Kosh, Carters, or whatever happens to be on sale at TJMaxx or Marshalls that appears to be of decent quality. To me, as long as the fabric appears to be soft and comfortable and doesn't shrink or run, I'm happy. As far as style, I have two requirements: (1) It has to be simple, no ridiculous caricatures (2) it cannot have a brand name or symbol appear on its face. I am not renting advertising space on my kid! ;o)

As far as strollers, I have noticed that there are mostly Gracos strolling around the mall. In the higher end areas, I've seen some nicer strollers. I think the nicest strollers I see are the jog strollers at a park around the reservoir where people run and walk on nice days -- but I think its usually a question of function for those people rather than style because the trails can get a bit tricky in some areas. (We got an MBUS for this reason)

Jenmv
03-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Caroline,

I live in the South Bend/Mishawaka area.

khakismom
03-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Ah, Michiana! I went to school in South Bend, and have ILs in LaPorte and Michigan City, and ITA with you--that area is a little behind in the fashion. :)

Jenmv
03-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Yes Michiana, Where you're never quite sure what time zone you're in. :)

ChicagoMama
03-03-2004, 12:52 AM
Hmmm... I would have to say that I get a fair amount of flack from my friends for the baby gear that I own -- a MBUD, a custom Pamela diaper bag from 1154 Lill Studio in Chicago, a Peg Perego Plikomatic...they think I'm a bit nuts for buying the things I do for gear. But I've never had to exchange a stroller, either, and I'm so happy with my stuff...

Since I'm only obsessed with double strollers now, I've noticed that the mall around here has a ton of Graco Duogliders, or Jeep double tandems, and I've only ever seen one Peg double stroller (a tandem that my neighbor owns - looks like a smart hand-me-down due to the pattern).

As far as clothes, I can't tell where the stuff comes from. I think I don't pay enough attention. My kids wear everything from KMart to Hanna and everything in between - Baby Gap, Carter's, Target, Gymboree - I'm like some of the previous posters who say they aren't necessarily loyal to a brand, but they aim for quality and comfort. I haven't purchased any boutique brands - I'm OK with staying away, the Hanna attraction is expensive enough for now. But I'm starting to get pickier as the kids get older - some of the stuff out there in the 2T sizes is just a terrible fit and terrible quality (yes, I use the word terrible), so I'm starting to be more brand-loyal for Shelby's clothes. I will say that the kids I see all look pretty cute. I don't think anyone is straying into boutique stuff or looking really hard online for deals, though. I'm the only person I know (besides all of you) who does that. My neighbor even commented on Shelby's LE Squall the other day - and I thought, what's the big deal? But I know that everyone does not have the same values as me in terms of clothes. But all the kids look really cute.

Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

cvharris
03-03-2004, 01:27 AM
LOL! I went to college in South Bend and I didn't mind that the clocks never changed but it did get confusing when I tried to call anyone out of state! Even when I go back now for a game, I'm always wondering if SB is on the same time as Chicago or not...

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

jk3
03-06-2004, 02:57 AM
It's interesting to read about the different trends. I live just outside NYC and it seems to be similar to other suburbs. BabyGap, Hanna, Ralph Lauren, The Children's Place and Gymboree are very popular. Gymboree classes can seem like a baby fashion show. There are many expensive boutique stores and I do see babies dressed in fancier labels-especially girls-but I don't shop there. DS seems to grow out of everything fairly quickly so I try to buy everything on sale. Most babies I see are also weaing Robeez or Bobux shoes. In terms of strollers, everyone seems to have at least one Mac, Zippy or P3 and something else. Lately I've noticed lots of Bugaboos especially Bugaboos used as infant seat carriers which seems to be a very expensive substitute for a Universal, but that's another story!

Melanie
03-06-2004, 12:01 PM
I should have said that if you see me at the mall, it's probably in my Evenflo Featherlite, too. It's my favorite mall-crawler.

=)