PDA

View Full Version : What do you dress your child in for pictures?

LucyG
03-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Just curious! DD has worn dressy, church-type clothes in all of her pictures so far. She's kind of in-between sizes right now, though, and I think I may put her in cute overalls for her one-year pictures. Or, I may fudge a little on the season and put her in some spring clothes. I'm getting a little weary of her winter things. We're going to Olan Mills, so we're talking nice, but not professional.

momathome
03-02-2004, 09:49 AM
I started off when Liza was little dressing her in dresses but once she turned about a year, I started dressing her in bright, colorful outfits for pictures. We do a lot of Hanna and Gymboree, particularly since you can get such cute coordinating but not neccessarily matching outfits for siblings. The Gymboree and Hanna colors really pop out in pictures. HTH!!!
-Lauren

BethS
03-02-2004, 11:08 AM
We've only taken Jack once so far (at 3 months) and he wore a sweater and jeans. I like it that he's dressed for pictures the way he is dressed everyday and the pics turned out fabulously. I think for his 6 month pics he'll wear a Hanna outfit and barefeet for summer. I'm sure the colors will look great.

cinrein
03-02-2004, 11:14 AM
We've done both. It all depends on whether we have a nice dress that I really really like on her. I don't really care for the ultra dressy stuff on small children, so we've only had 1 photo done in a nice dress. The few dressy dresses we had Anna did not like wearing, so they obviously weren't good photo-wear.

My absolute favorite pics of Anna so far are her 6-month pics done last August. She was wearing a yellow bubble overall shorts set from Gymboree with the matching onsie. I also got the hat and had a few shots taken with it on. She was barefoot, so we could see those gorgeous hams and bare tootsies.

I STILL haven't done Anna's 1-year photos. I was kind of stumped because it is still winter, but I didn't want her in a very wintery outfit. I finally found a cute gymbo sweater from ebay (the ladybug one if anyone follows gymbo lines) and found some red pants to match. It's a cute/casual look.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

pamela mom of 3
03-02-2004, 11:36 AM
When they were younger dressy clothes were my top pick but oddly enough as they have gotten older, i've downgraded that, for the xmas picture last year my girls wore velvet leggings & swing tops ;)

Year before that a solid colored plain velvet dress..

I did my last picture of my son wearing a cute baseball like t-shirt with a frog on it & matching pants, he even wore a baseball cap..very cute picture actually but not formal but fun, i wasn't sure whether i'd like it but it's for sure in the top 3 of my favorite pictures of him, shows the playful side of his age..kwim?

I think the basic problem is when they were younger you could pose more easily as they get older they move, pants slide up, a dress isn't down...you get my point. Plus it seems the more playful side of the toddler age can be brought out so the pictures tend to take a different twist...

Anyhow this got too long lol...go with what you think you want to see, i still need to get my sons done..and buy an outfit too..it's a tough thing, i tend to overthink it lol :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

amp
03-02-2004, 11:54 AM
We've never dressed Jake up for pics. We don't own any dressy or formal clothes for him, since we have had no occasion yet that warrants it. So we've put him in either one piece outfits (cotton in summer, fleece in winter) or overalls. I think for his 9 mth pics in 2 wks I'm going to fudge a bit myself and put him in shortalls. Can't bring myself to put him in something wintry for pics right now.

khakismom
03-02-2004, 12:09 PM
I've always dressed the girls in dressy clothes for their pictures. I think I'm very ultra-traditional that way! :) But I think overall for a 1-year pic is adorable!

I always try to dress them in the season when the pictures will be ready. For Ellen's 6-month pix, she was in a spring outfit, even though it was still chilly outside. And we ALWAYS do piggies--that is my favorite part of the picture! :) Kathleen has worn shoes once, and that was for her 2 year pix last year when she was wearing her Easter dress and it was too dressy to not have shoes. Otherwise, the girls go barefoot for pix.

I've attached 2 pix showing the kind of outfits I've chosen. The first one was in fact was a bubble-type overall set that was dressy. And of course, the piggs are bare! :) For the girls' upcoming pix (9 mo. and 3 yrs.), I am doing Hanna dresses--either the playdress or the cake fair dress. I always have a hard time deciding on outfits for pix because I think they are all so cute!

Whatever you pick, I'm sure your DD will look adorable! Let us know what you decide, and of course, share the pix with us too! :)

LucyG
03-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Adorable pictures, Maureen! Your girls are just precious!

I, too, love bare feet in pictures. That, coupled with the fact that DD only has well-worn Robeez right now, means that she will not be wearing shoes or socks for her pictures.

LucyG
03-02-2004, 02:58 PM
OK, ladies! Thanks for the help! I've decided on red checked Osh Kosh overalls with a white cotton shirt w/peter pan collar underneath. She wore this for the Valentine pictures we took at home, and they turned out great. The overalls are slightly too big still, but I think the baggy effect will only add to the overall cuteness. Her feet will be bare. My mother still does not understand why I like this look (bare feet), but I think it's classic!

parkersmama
03-02-2004, 03:01 PM
With Parker, I didn't want to "waste" money buying outfits that were mainly for pictures so the first few pics I dressed him in his regular clothes. Around the time he turned 1, I realized that I wished I'd gone ahead and done dressier pics. We have *plenty* of pictures of them wearing their fun playclothes but very few of them in nice clothes. So, with Wesley and with Amy Grace, I dress them up for pictures. Such as Feltman Bros outfits or outfits with smocking. Amy Grace wore a baby blue Feltman smocked bishop dress for her 6mos pics and they turned out beautifully! I really love bare feet, too...so *no shoes* for us!

MelissaTC
03-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Matthew has had pictures in all different kinds of clothes. His very first photos at 1 month were of him in a onesie with socks. Granted, it was a Carters onesie with little bears on it, but it was still a onesie. It was also like 100 degrees here at the time...

His second photos, we dressed him in a plaid shirt and coordinated black corduroy overalls (Christmas photos).

I did Valentine's Day shots at Picture People and he wore jeans, a long sleeved gap t and cute sneakers.

Easter shots were done in an outfit I picked up at Oopsie Daisy. He has on plaid pants and a matching shirt...looks too cute!

We took photos for DH for Father's Day. They were black and white and he wore a white t-shirt and overalls.

For his birthday, he wore Gymboree Big Waves line...shorts, tank, Hawaiian print shirt, sandals...he looked too cute holding the coconut...

His school photo he wore a red shirt and brown corduroy overalls..we have a school shot of me in corduroy overalls so I thought it would be cute...

And finally Christmas of 2003...for some of the shots, he wore Gymboree nutcracker ginghan button down and khaki cargo pants from the Gap, and then in the other shots, he has on a navy sweater and pants from Gymbo...

scary that I remember all of this...LOL...I attached a few...