PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinions on Osh Kosh clothes

LittlePrince_Mom
03-02-2004, 05:30 PM
I live overseas so I do a lot of internet browsing for clothes. I am completely addicted to this bb and value your wise advice. You have certainly led me to obsess over gymbo and Hanna clothes although they are usually way over our budget. I've managed to purchase some Gymbo, but haven't made the Hanna plunge yet. I've been looking at the Osh Kosh B'gosh site and some of the clothes for infant boys are really cute and in nice bright colors (I'll try attaching links to a few of the things I've liked) The prices seem really reasonable too. What are your real life experiences with these clothes? How is the quality? How does it compare to top brands like Gymbo and Hanna? Thanks so much for your opinion.

-E

nitaghei
03-02-2004, 06:13 PM
I'm a big fan of OshKosh clothes. They are really decent value. The cotton is really soft on their shirts and sleepers. It may not be quite as nice as Hanna - but it's also a quarter of the price. Honestly, I have a ton of OshKosh, and it's not *that* much worse than the Hanna set I got for DS. I also have a bunch of OshKosh overalls that are hand-me-downs, from my nephew and niece, and they are still in good shape. The two things I don't like about OshKosh are
1) the logos - though they aren't as bad as Old Navy or {shudder} Hilfiger (which I will NOT buy on principle);
2) the prevalence of sports themes - but that's a common problem with boys' clothes.

I do end up buying a lot of Gymboree simply because they fit my skinny child better - Oshkosh is cut a little wider. But I only buy Gymboree on major clearance - and don't pay any more than I would have for Oshkosh.

Another favorite of mine for infant boys is LandsEnd. IMO, they have some of the cuter stuff around, and great bargains on the Overstocks page.

I actually prefer bodysuits from Landsend and OshKosh to Gymboree. The necks retain their shape much better - all the Gymbo shirts I have for DS are stretched out after being pulled over DS's large head.

That's probably TMI, but I HTH.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

momathome
03-02-2004, 06:14 PM
We have had more than our share of Osh Kosh stuff and the quality is kind of a mixed bag. Overall, they make great everyday playclothes - they wash and wear pretty well and look nice on. I would never pay full retail for them - the prices are way too high for what you are getting. When I can find them on clearance at the outlet or in department stores, I pick them up. The only things quality-wise that I have truly had a problem with are their leggings, but since you have a boy, that will not be an issue for you! I would put them a step or 2 beneath Gymboree and Hanna (cotton is not as soft) but for nice everyday clothes, they do the trick! Hope this helps!
-Lauren

Lucia
03-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Hi! We also live overseas and do a lot of internet shopping. I love the Osh Kosh overalls...they seem to hold up well and fit my son nicely(he is tall and on the thin side). I don't have any experience with their t-shirts, but the ones you pulled up seem really cute. I would say go ahead and try them, especially if they are a good deal.

If you do get them, please share your thoughts. I agree with you...this board is a great resource. We live in Japan. Where are you?

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

ralu
03-02-2004, 06:24 PM
I have only a few Osh Kosh clothes for DS, so maybe my experience is not representative. Anyhow, for T-shirts/onesies, I find the quality comparable with Gymboree, although maybe they are not as soft as Hannas. I think some of their T-shirt designs for boys are cuter than Gymborees (the Gymboree ones are sometimes too sport-oriented for me). On the negative side, the cut is not always inspired (last summer DS had a very cute Osh-Kosh outfit which looked weird on him --- the tailoring for the hat and shorts seemed pretty bad).

Raluca

amp
03-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Love the Oshkosh clothes we've had, but they've all been overalls, so I can't really attest to anything else. They've held up well, IMO, but then again, DS doesn't get to wear them for long.

shishamo
03-02-2004, 06:45 PM
I agree with others, the quality is a very decent play clothes quality. It's not as nice as Hanna (not as soft and thinner) but it's pretty cheap, esp. on sale. I find the overalls from there run long and skinny.

LittlePrince_Mom
03-02-2004, 06:47 PM
My son is also tall and thin. We've actually had a few winter Osh Kosh clothes and I've been really happy with them, I was wondering why noone here ever mentions them. I haven't been overly impressed with the quality of Gymbo (have had some piling after some pieces have gone through the laundry) and have found Osh Kosh to be at least of the same quality. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Gymbo designs and thought the quality was ok, just not great.
I agree, this board is amazing, I'm completely addicted.
We live in Israel, my DS is 5.5 months old
-E

sarsah
03-02-2004, 06:49 PM
I think Osh Kosh clothing is good quality -- maybe a little lower than Gymboree, but not much. I have a bunch of OshKosh stuff (knit shirts, jeans, overalls, etc.) that my DS #1 wore 3 years ago and DS #2 is now wearing.
I would definately not pay full price for it -- like Gymbo, it's way too expensive, but on a good sale or clearance, it's definately worth it!

Sarah..........mom to Jason (3 1/2) and Devin (10 months)

pamela mom of 3
03-02-2004, 07:15 PM
I'll go with a mixed bag for quality, i still have picked up the odd piece here & there. I have found the sizes have gotten more generous again for a bit they were running kinda smallish.

Those shirts you posted are very cute, the type of thing i would buy for my ds.

:)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

lisams
03-02-2004, 07:58 PM
I like them!! They are soft, wash pretty good and I can get very good bargains at the outlet store. The only problem we've had is that they seem to be a little smaller than other brands. For example, DD is wearing 18-24 month clothes in Gymboree and Lands End, but has already outgrown her 18 month Osh Kosh outfits. She is tall, but when I compare them to other brands they just seem to run a little smaller (these are not the overalls, just tops and pants - I don't know how the overalls run) That's the only issue, otherwise I love their clothes!

HTH!
Lisa

Imperia
03-02-2004, 10:35 PM
I bought some Osh Kosh because my husband love overalls on babies. Well according to the label 0-3 is supposed to fit 5-10 pounds, hmmm well my dd is almost 8 pounds now and they look RIDICULOUS on her. They are SO wide, granted my DD is petite and slender, but still! I am not buying anymore Osh Kosh for awhile, it just doesn't fit her correctly, Gymboree is cut much better for her.

Imperia

jubilee
03-03-2004, 01:58 AM
I like OshKosh clothes, but I find the sizing to be a little irratic. Some things, like one piece rompers, run small compared to their overalls. My son has way outgrown the rompers in size 12 months, but has plenty of room in the jean overalls. Maybe it's due to shrinkage. I don't see a big difference between the quality of Oshkosh and Gymbo, except the sizing issue. Hope that helps,

kransden
03-03-2004, 12:02 PM
I have some hand-me-downs from one of the other moms at daycare, and the Osh Kosh seems to have held up quite well. I think just as good as Gymbo. I don't buy it because it isn't easy for me to do so on sale like I can Gymbo. Plus I think they are geared a little more for boys. Goodness knows there aren't many cute clothes for boys out there.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02