PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever use flotation swimsuits? Babybanz sunglasses?

cvharris
03-05-2004, 02:47 AM
For the flotation swimsuits, I'm talking specifically about the My Pool Pal brand that help baby keep afloat. What do you think of these?

Are Babybanz sunglasses useful at all or will he just pull them off?

Thanks!

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

Melanie
03-05-2004, 03:14 AM
We have Kidz Banz (Same as baby but bigger) and they're wonderful! If your son pulls off sunglasses, he pulls off sunglasses - KWIM? These are better than any you can find in stores. I didn't realize but when you buy sunglasses that only block UVA you are harming your eyes more than if you didn't wear any at all. The darkened lenses cause your pupils to dialate more and thus allowing in more UVB. I was horrified as Ds wore sunglasses as often as possible since he was tiny (we're very light-sensitive). He went through a period of pulling them off when he was at that stage were he'd just learned he could make his hands do what he wanted and oooh! tasty glasses! However, he's been wearing the Kidz Banz since last summer and understood that they made it less bright for him, so he leaves them on when he needs them.

newbelly2002
03-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Yes, I learned the very hard way about the UVA/UVB. When I was fifteen I bought cheapo sunglasses before setting off on a sailboat for two weeks. After a month of red, bloodshot eyes went to the eyedoctor. turns out I "sunburned" my eyes. Now I need to be supercareful to always wear *good* sunglasses when I'm out and about. Grr... the foolishness of youth.

To be honest, I always go with a large brimmed sunhat for DS and forget about the sunglasses--unless, like Melanie, there are extenuating corcumstances. I think sometimes that sunglasses could provide a false sense of security when that much sun isn't great for young kids in any situation (use a stroller shade/parasol/or just old fashioned tree shade instead).

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

Marisa6826
03-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Sophie has a pair of BabyBanz that we got for her eye surgery.

She would usually wear them for about 15-20 minutes then pull them off and try to eat them.

I honestly haven't had her wear them in a long time.

They are really good quality - not like the flimsy ones you see on the racks at BRU.

As far as the floatation suits go, I have a friend with twins and she loved them.

They're no substitution for full on parental supervision though. I would absolutely not rely upon them as a safety device.

I tried to attach a picture of Sophie wearing the glasses, but I keep getting an error.

Sorry!

-m

ginamlee
03-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Yes, I used the My Pool Pal suits with my son and I think that they are just AWESOME! I bought them for 3 years, as I recall. They enabled him to be in the water without fear. Now, he is 6 and swims like a fish.

If you want to give them a try, check out eBay for used ones. That way, you aren't paying the high price tag. If you decide that you like them, you can buy new if you want.

Actually, I have 2 on eBay right now that I started at 99 cents. They have pulls on the bottom, but are perfectly wearable and I figured someone might want to try them with thier kiddo for cheap. They probably wouldn't fit your babe, however, as they are the 30-40 pound size.

parkersmama
03-05-2004, 12:57 PM
I think that Ben will still be a little young for the flotation suits. I really love them but he needs to have a little confidence in the water before going with one of these. They *do not* keep your head about water like a life jacket does. They are for learning to swim and therefore more suited to 2 & 3 year olds. Also, be careful to get one set for the proper weight because they are made with the floats to counterbalance the child's weight. If he's too light for the suit weight, it'll throw him all off. If he's too heavy, he might sink! All in all, I think these are great suits, though, and the one we have has lasted well through two boys and several summers.

cvharris
03-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the info! If anyone is looking to buy any pool pal stuff or babybanz/kidsbanz, send me an e-mail. I know of a deal, but don't think I can post it here.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)