PDA

View Full Version : Pajama Woes - and how many pairs of PJ's do ou own?

Vajrastorm
05-20-2004, 12:57 PM
We're moving into 12-18 month sized clothing and I'm having trouble finding Pajamas I like. (12/18 in larger clothing brands)

I bought some 2 piece Carters short sleeved PJs and tried them on last night. I like them, except the arms and neck are so tight! Aine's not a cubby baby, and the sleeves are already leaving marks. :( The neck is ok right now, but won't be ok as she grows.

I'm thinking about ordering a pair of Hanna short zippers or short johns. The short johns look wonderful, but I'm not sure if an 80 will be too big. And of course, Hanna's are expensive.

I suppose I could try the Gap two pieces. Their 1 pieces turn her into a sausage.

Why is is so hard to find 100% cotton Pajamas in bigger sizes that fit?

AdoptChina
05-20-2004, 01:05 PM
We've had good luck with the Baby Gap and the Little Tykes (Target) all cotton pjs. I often go up a size in them and they work really well without cutting into Connor's chubbiness :)

nitaghei
05-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=20508&mesg_id=20508&page=

My recommendations are OshKosh (particularly if you can get to an outlet) and LLBean (they still have some on sale for about $10). I have a couple in different sizes from Gymboree, but they run very skinny. And Hannas are definitely too expensive for me.

And I generally have 6-7 sleepers in each size for DS.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Vajrastorm
05-20-2004, 01:20 PM
We've been in the OshKosh, actually! I love them for footed sleepers, but we're at the point where I think I'd like footless. Also, we live near an outlet, but the largest sizes sold out long ago.

Edit - hmmm I hadn't seent the 2 piece sets! Will have to go check them out.

friedmana1
05-20-2004, 01:56 PM
We have a combination of gap, gymboree and hannas. Seven pairs - one for each day of the week, in case I am lazy with the laundry. :) DD is quite thin, so we usually don't size up, but gap and gymboree do run very skinny.

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

riostoker
05-20-2004, 02:38 PM
I almost always buy Carter's (partly because there is an outlet nearby),and for winter PJ's, I usually size up at least one size, often two sizes, so that they aren't so tight in the arms. This summer, Carter's has some cute capri PJ's (toddler sizes) and short PJ's that are all sleeveless, so I was able to buy her regular size, and they are working out great!

We usually have about 5-7 sets each season.

ann

stella
05-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Target Little Tykes. All cotton. Made by Carter's. $12.99 for two pairs that mix and match. Cute prints. Plenty soft. IN sizes up to 5T.

And this from a Hanna zipper lover. I love the long johns too. Don't have the short johns, but have absolute confidence that they'd be fabulous. They're just about $30 more expensive per pair than these Targets.

Check out Target. I have been so pleased.

westchicagomom
05-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Andrie, I think our DDs our about the same height (29 inches or so) and I bought her a pair of the Hanna short johns in 80 from an old line. They are a little big, but not so much that they don't look adorable on her! Maybe you could call some outlets and see if they have any left from old lines so they would be cheaper. Also if you buy an 80 you will get a lot more wear out of them.

I just bought a Hanna short zipper in orange/red in 80 but haven't washed/tried it on yet. I have a feeling that is going to be a bit too big on her - but not enough to make me want to take it back. Hanna 70's are starting to get small since she is so tall.

For the winter, check out the recent Garnet Hill post. I bought some pjs for the winter (actually probably won't fit her this winter since they seem to run really big) that are cotton and discounted greatly.

Good Luck!

Imperia
05-21-2004, 05:26 AM
I might be one of the only people on this board who actually buys only Gymboree gymmies for pajamas. In our case, however, they are one of the only things that actually fit! My DD is very slender, and they are they only things that don't swallow her up. Most people think they are far too tight though. I think we probably have 6 or so pairs, but we could get buy with fewer, I would say I would need 3-4 at least.

I think the reason jammies are so snug is because in order to sell them as sleepwear they either have to be flame resistant (polyester ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!) or "snug fitting" because of the risk of them being set alight by a fire (I know, it's silly!)

Hanna gets away with theirs, I think, because they don't actually market them as sleepwear even though that's what everyone uses the zippers for. If you ever look at a lot of baby clothes that aren't actually marketed as jammies they say, "NOT INTENDED FOR USE AS SLEEPWEAR!" on the tag hehe.

Imperia

parkersmama
05-21-2004, 08:22 AM
I like to have 3-4 sets. This summer, we are trying to get by with just 3 but sometimes that's tough. Of course, in our house, laundry for 3 kids piles up and overflows the hamper pretty quickly so I wash fairly often. :)

Anyway, my favorites are from Gymboree and Hanna. In Gymboree, I size up a size and they fit fine. AG is fairly skinny though (33% on weight). But, this year, Gymbo has only come out with ONE shorts/short sleeved one-piece girls pjs! So dumb. All their others have been these silky, two-piece deals that I don't want to put on a baby. They are cute for an older girl but not for my diaper-wearing baby! So, I've been pretty disappointed in their selection. I *love* the Hanna zippers! They are soft, thick, comfy, and wash well. Right now all their color choices are pretty gender neutral so they will hand-down well. Yes, they're expensive but worth it to me.

I used to like Gap but I'm disappointed in their current one-pieces. I sized up and they still have the sausage fit! Also, they are completely snap up rather than a zipper and let me tell you, that is a PAIN! Also, they aren't very soft...sort of scratchy.

I like to use only one-piece pjs until they potty train. In part because it's the only time they get to wear those cute jammies but also because the bottoms of a two-piece seem to drag down a diaper in the front. Just my experience, but I don't like it. :)