PDA

View Full Version : Could Baby Gap be any uglier?

stella
05-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Granted, I have seen none of this in real life - only on their website, but ugh!!!

Their designers - boys and girls - are coming up with the worst-looking stuff. Often, we (or at least I) complain about inappropriate clothes for babies and toddlers, and teh items currently posted are the kinds of things that I really hate. Terrycloth shirts and dresses with starbursts and rainbows on them. Like the children have been shopping at thrift stores. This is not a slam on thrift-store shopping and finding great deals on gently-used high quality, cute stuff - this is a slam on vintage baby wear from the 70's and 80's.

It is just the sort of ugly clothing the teens are wearing these days, but for BABIES! Why would you design ugly clothes for sweet, precious babies?

There was the occasional cute piece (and I looked in baby boy, baby girl, and toddler boy and girl), but overall, I thought it was awful.

Do any of you ever find cute things there? No wonder Janie and Jack is exploding in popularity!

Imperia
05-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Baby Gap stuff USED to be very cute, but I have no idea what happened. I have a dress set which I expect is a few years old that is so adorable...red with white doggies embroidered on the hem and a white petticoat peeking out. I havea few cute demium jumpers as well, one called Afternoon Tea has a doll embroidered on it she has a real skirt you can lift up and a tea cup on it too.

I have never bought any Baby Gap new though because we don't have one in town and everytime I look at the website I start cringing.

Imperia

kaitlinsmommy
05-22-2004, 01:15 AM
I absolutely adore Baby Gap right now. The last couple times I walked in there, there were a ton of things I wanted to buy and I thought maybe things are finally getting better. They just had the cutest layette line on clearance - for the girls, there was pink giraffe stuff & I bought a onesie & matching reversible cardigan (just in case we have anothe girl). DD also has the puppy pjs & kissing fish pjs.

I don't know what's new online but I have seen some cute things there IRL. And they've had some good stuff on sale. ITA that I want dd to be dressed like a baby, not a hoochie mama.

JenCA
05-22-2004, 01:17 AM
I don't know what happened to baby Gap. They used to have SUCH cute things for babies; most of DD's fall wardrobe last year was from that store (I LOVED the rich plum/beige/olive green shades and corduroy fabrics!). I have almost completely given up on baby Gap--I can't even tell you the last time I walked into one of their stores!

stacyleigh
05-22-2004, 01:55 AM
I have found a few things I like over the past couple months...nothing that I can't live without and I never pay full price. ;)

I really love this dress and will probably get it should there be any left after it is marked down.

http://www.gap.com/assets/product/big/bg235553-00b.jpg

mommy926
05-22-2004, 02:13 AM
We have that dress and matching hat. I just Love it!

I broke down and paid I think 32.50 for it and about 14.00 for that hat. I was also afraid that it would sell out. I am a sucker for anything with a patchwork type pattern.

redgus
05-22-2004, 04:22 AM
for me it is hit or miss. i just recently bought a very cute dress for my three year old, with matching hat, which went on sale a couple of days later, but that's another post. for babies, like my four month old dd there really wasn't too much stuff i liked. also, they have been getting better at it, but i hate how they display an item they no longer have available for sale on their website. for the longest time i stopped shopping there for that reason. anyway, gymboree continues to rule for me.

suribear
05-22-2004, 11:44 AM
You can get a price adjustment within 14 days! Hang onto the receipt and they will adjust for you.

Kris

Tracey
05-22-2004, 12:09 PM
I can always find a few pieces I like at Baby Gap. I would, on the whole, have to agree with you that most of it is not that great. There is nooooooo doubt that Janie and Jack is way cuter. Janie and Jack is way cuter than Gymboree too IMO. Too bad there are so few stores and they are so stingy with the markdowns. I like this baby gap skort a lot:

http://www.gap.com/assets/product/big/bg235545-00b.jpg

tinkerbell1217
05-22-2004, 01:32 PM
I still LOVE BABY GAP!!! I think the retro styles are cute AND their classic pieces with eyelet are adorable. The boys stuff is cute too. They are just my style!

stella
05-22-2004, 02:21 PM
That dress is one of the few things that I liked - and I like it a lot. We are traveling to San Antonio next week and I may go into Baby Gap and see if they have it.

LoveMyBabyBeans
05-22-2004, 04:36 PM
I have to admit, I am a baby Gap fan (addict). Especially for my boys. I love their seersucker or plaid button downs layered over tees with khaki or denim shorts. I would say that 95% of my boys' wardrobes are baby Gap. Now that I am having a girl, I've been looking (and have ordered some stuff) and I find that I like about half of what they offer for girls. I am definitely more into the Gymboree lines for girls. I have to admit too, I actually like the terry cloth shirt for boys, especially with those bright patterned swim trunks.

murpheyblue2
05-22-2004, 04:53 PM
I agree that lately their stuff hasn't wowed me. I do, however, love that patchwork dress and I saw a flowered halter top in there yesterday that I would get if it went on sale. Also, they've got a couple cute jammies on sale now.

Very hit or miss though.

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-28-03

Jenmv
05-22-2004, 05:33 PM
I have to agree that a lot of their clothes are hit or miss. Thats okay I don't need any more "must haves". I spend too much already. I have found though that as DD gets older I like their clothes more than I used to. Sometimes Gymboree is just a little too frou-frou for me for everyday wear and sometimes I get tired of all the overtly themed stuff. I like to mix and match from different lines. I like that I often find more basics on the Baby Gap sale racks. I've noticed though that often the Baby Gap sales items are almost hidden in the stores. They just mix them in with regular priced stuff and you have to look for them. It seems odd to me. I've never bought anything there that wasn't seriously marked down. I do think they have nice knit fabrics. I little softer than Gymbo but also thinner. We don't have a Janie and Jack so I've never seen their stuff.

Jennamax
05-23-2004, 12:41 PM
I found a whole bunch of cute stuff at Baby Gap for Ben a few weeks ago. Great khaki pants, adorable camoflauge pants, some great dark green overalls (that are really soft and comfy), with a bunch of coordinating solid-color shirts and onesies. I can't stand pastel stuff for him, so this stuff was great!

parkersmama
05-23-2004, 03:22 PM
I think the Baby Gap stuff (most of it) is cuter now than it has been in years! I don't like the uber-plain stuff they often do. :)

I also agree that the older kids (at least boys) is better than the baby stuff. I found several pairs of shorts and t-shirts for each of my boys there about a month ago. They are really cute and comfy.

khakismom
05-24-2004, 04:31 PM
I go hit or miss at BG (kinda like everywhere else). I actually think the stuff looks better in the store. I can see it online and think maybe, maybe not. But when I get to the store and see all the pieces together, I usually like it! I also really like their big girl stuff for Kathleen.

My favorite thing about BabyGap though is their shoes. I am a shoe-aholic for the girls (esp. Kathleen), and I can always walk out of there with a pair of shoes. I like the shoes alot because they aren't too funky and they almost always flat-heeled. The unfortunate part is that they are always very popular so if I see one I like, I usually have to pay full price for it, because if I wait it will be sold out.
For ex, these shoes are adorable and will match alot of the Gymbo Sunshine Daydream stuff:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6657.jpg

mommy926
05-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Just wanted to let those of you know that were in love with this dress that it is really on sale now. It was 32.50 and now it is 18.50 Looks like there are quite a few sizes left too!

http://www.gap.com/assets/product/main/baby/bg235553-00p1.jpg