PDA

View Full Version : Callling all DC shopping experts

mindeva
05-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Ok all you DC shopping experts…help me spend my money! I’m going to be in DC for a convention in a couple weeks staying 6 days. Give me the scoop on the best places to baby shop. I would love to hit some unique baby specialty stores, so fill me in. I’ve also seen the store listing for Tyson’s Corner Center and would love to go there to Janie & Jack, but it looks like it is a trek from my hotel and not accessible via public transportation. I’m staying at the JW Marriott on Pennsylvania. I’m willing to take a cab if you all think it is worth it! Thanks for your help!

mum1day
05-24-2004, 08:20 PM
K Baby-http://www.kbaby.com/
Great store!

Why Not?-Alexandria, VA

egoldber
05-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Tysons is a nice mall, but its just a mall you know? For baby stuff, it has Janie&Jack, Gymboree, GapKids, Talbot Kids, Nordstrom, Lord&Taylor (infant section good, toddler section not so good), Pottery Barn Kids, and StrideRite. Maybe something I'm missing???? You could take the metro pretty close (probably West Falls Church or Dunn Loring would be the closest stops) and get a cab from there.

I'm not that familiar with boutique stores in DC, sorry!

cinrein
05-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Also an H&M at Tysons.

Sorry, I'm a DC-suburb mall crawler myself.

Rashmi took us to a cute store in Old Town Alexandria once. I don't recall the name, so hopefully she'll see this post. If nothing else, Old Town is a nice place to visit while in DC.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

papal
05-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Just saw this post... as a PP mentioned.. "WHY NOT?" in Old Town Alexandria is a great little store.
Here is the website:
http://www.whynotalexandria.com/

There is this one other one but I cannot remember the name or location right now... i think it was in Georgetown..gosh.. i will come back and edit this post when i remember... ummm.. the rest are all Mall-sy stores and if you want something close to DC then the Pentagon Mall is on the metro-line. It has the usual stores, Gymbo, Baby Gap etc..nothing really unique..

slknight
05-25-2004, 10:58 AM
Oh, I just have to tell you how much I love "Why Not?" I grew up in Arlington (lived there 1970 to 1999). When I was a kid, it was such a special treat to go to Old Town and go to Why Not. I remember climbing up those stairs to see the toys on the second floor. We were always allowed to pick out something cool. It was so much fun! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. There also used to be a neat toy store a few blocks over called "Granny's Attic," but I'm almost certain it's not there any more.

mindeva
05-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely check out KBaby & Why Not. Still deciding on Tysons, really would like to go to H&M & Janie & Jack, but will have to see how much time I have.

Beth, if I take the metro to West Falls Church or Dunn Loring will there be cabs readily available? I am imagining getting to the stop & not being able to find a cab. Also, I suspect it wouldn't be a problem finding a cab back from the mall...probably some hotels around if needed?

Thanks again!
Mindy

AvasMama
05-26-2004, 08:51 PM
There are almost always cabs at Metro stations so you should be fine if you decide to head out to Tyson's :)

Definitely don't miss Why Not?! Old Town Alexandria is my old neighborhood and Why Not? is my absolutely favorite kids store ever. Old Town is a nice place to walk around -- while you are there stop by the Gap Outlet on the corner of King & Washington. They often have killer deals.

Robyn & Ava (1-15-04)