PDA

View Full Version : How do you avoid overbuying baby clothes?

jpang
05-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone out there has strategies to avoid overbuying clothes for their babies. I went to Gymboree at lunch today, intending to buy just one hat that was on sale-- well, they didn't have the hat, but two shirts, one pair of leggings, and one pair of shorts later...

Do you resell the extra stuff? Give it to other moms? Swap? Short of staying out of the stores, I find it hard to avoid buying baby clothes. And I was never a shopper in the past! (Just so you know, my daughter is much better dressed than I am.) So any avoidance strategies would be appreciated.

Lena's mom
10/13/03

Melanie
05-25-2004, 07:13 PM
Good question! My son is way better dressed than I am, as well.

heidi_timms
05-25-2004, 07:54 PM
I haven't figured this out yet either! My DD has so many darn clothes!

I do try to only shop sales at Gymboree, Naartjie, Hanna, Gap etc. At least if I'm overbuying, it's half the price usually. I don't ever let myself buy at full price. Gymboree has Circle of Friends sales and other promotions so I limit myself to those. www.gymbohaven.com also gives sale info and be sure to sign up on Gymboree's website to receive notifications of sales.

Okay, maybe I'm not helping....LOL!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Momof3Labs
05-25-2004, 08:00 PM
You are definitely asking the wrong crowd...

urbanmama
05-25-2004, 08:07 PM
I agree! I don't think that you will get any good advice from the "regulars" on this board. We all buy too much for our kids. In fact, I buy even more since I've found this board because everyone is always pointing out different brands, posting adorable pics of their kids, etc.

Marie

mommy926
05-25-2004, 08:24 PM
I want to stop really I do....But Gymbo keeps coming out with new lines Oh So Often now and it is SO HARD!

(That is what I tell my husband when he says we have too much!)

-guess we are not much help yet huh?

jpang
05-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Maybe not much help, but I appreciate the company! I also buy the better brands on sale. Gymboree got me today because one of the lines went to 40% off AND gymbucks was still in effect. Thanks for the tips on the websites. At least if I'm going to spend, it won't be at full retail.

:7

bluej
05-25-2004, 09:07 PM
For all of the complaining I do about the lack of decent baby/toddler boy clothes, well Ryden certainly isn't hurting in the wardrobe department. I'm too embarrassed to tell how many outfits he already has for next fall/winter. And I wish I could say I got them all at great sale prices, but unfortunately that's not the case. I fear that I won't be able to find anything I like in the fall so I've been snatching up what I like as I see it. Bad bad thing to do.

egoldber
05-25-2004, 10:34 PM
I have gotten better as DD has gotten older. One thing that really helps is DO NOT shop recreationally. I do this all the time when I'm bored. But I can now often walk in and out of 5 clothing stores and buy nothing for DD!

It also helps to have at least a mental, if not written list of what I truly NEED for DD in a current season. Once I reach that tally, I try REALLY hard not to buy anything else unless it is truly an amazingly good deal.

Also, even though I buy a lot, I return a lot. Gymboree has a 6 month return policy and I have taken full advantage of it. I buy something and then decide it won't be the right season etc. when she's ready for it, or I have found other things I like better, so I return it.

Also, I try not to buy a lot ahead of time anymore. I found I was spending more money that way because I was buying ahead, and then STILL wanting to buy when the season was finally here. :) Or I would find that the way I THOUGHT I would want to dress her is not the way I actually do now that the season is here. And once they get older, they start having opinions about what they like and don't like, so that comes into play too.

HTH,

tigalig
05-26-2004, 12:12 AM
You are definitely in good company here. ;) I think my new year's resolution (notice I'm giving myself the rest of the year) is going to be no more than one new outfit per week. I'm not sure how else to go about it.

Ida

Edited to say that based on my visit to the Gymboree store today, if I start following my one outfit per week rule, I'll be banned from the mall for another six weeks. Aaaargh. I guess if you're buying more than you're actually using, then stay away from the malls and your computer until you "need" more. Didn't someone here recently say that having a child is much like re-living your own childhood, except this time you have a wallet? I am finding that to be very true and I go crazy at the stores every time.

AngelaS
05-26-2004, 06:57 AM
I'm FINALLY learning not to buy so much. It's taken a while to be converted tho...my oldest is 6! :D

I like to shop sales and buy ahead too and I'm learning to be VERY choosy about what I buy. I have to absolutely LOVE it to buy it. If it's only on sale, that's not good enough. LOL I must love it!

I also have tried to not totally fill out their wardrobe before the season starts and to leave some holes so that I can buy things in season. I love to garage sale so this summer I started out with smaller wardrobes for my girls. In the last 3 weeks the little one has gotten SEVEN new outfits! But I didn't pay more than $2 for any of them. :D

I also am a HUGE reseller of their outgrown clothes. When they outgrow it, it goes! I use the money (and only that money) to buy them new things. :D

Imperia
05-26-2004, 07:45 AM
I probably shouldn't even respond to this post, heh, but here goes.

I still haven't really been able to buy the "correct amount of clothing" (whatever the heck that is!) but I just do a lot of swapping and reselling to thin out what I don't want or doesn't work for us.

I am sort of like Angela S in that I use (mostly) funds from clothes I have previously sold to buy more. When my funds are low I sift through things and sell some off until I have money to buy more.

I also only buy on sale, and I am trying not to buy just because it looks cute in the store. I try to imagine where she would wear it and if it would be comfortable etc. I have found certain types of outfits work better for us and I buy more of those.

Imperia

jk3
05-26-2004, 08:14 AM
It's definitely much easier with a boy. I tend to buy ahead when the prices are low but I don't really worry that the next lines will be all that cuter because the boys' lines usually look pretty similar.

I like the idea of making a list to keep track of clothing for a particular season. That will help! I also try not to shop just to shop. If I had a girl, this would be a lot harder since the clothing is usually adorable.

Additionally, I try to sell clothing that DS did not wear or that I wouldn't use for another child.

Ditto for having a child that is better dressed than mom. Someone needs to look fantastic every day!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

AvasMama
05-26-2004, 10:00 AM
I have absolutely NO self-control when it comes to buying clothes for Ava. Like many PP said, I also rarely buy anything for myself anymore, even though I was quite clothes-obsessed before I got pregnant!

I try to do what the PP said... buy only on sale, not buy too much ahead, etc., but I can rarely resist. So, the one rule I stick with is to never, ever use a credit card, even if I know I can pay it off when the bill comes. If I can't pay with a debit card or cash, I don't buy it. That has actually helped me to limit my spending at times, or at least delay it. Sometimes if I have to wait to buy, I find that I don't want it as much when I have money again.

I also try to be very practical... for example, knowing that Ava will likely be crawling toward the end of the summer/early fall, I have bought very few dresses for her in those sizes. Of course, if a dress is REALLY cute, I just buy it in a bigger size so that she can wear it next year when she's walking ;)

Robyn & Ava (1-15-04)

kransden
05-26-2004, 10:07 AM
I am getting better, not much, but a little. I now will only buy one season ahead. When one of my gymbos had (and still does) a bunch of the fall leggings for dd I went ahead and snapped them up. After all she can wear them to dc and ruin them for three bucks.

One of the good/bad things about gymbo is that by the time you need summer clothes the clothes are already on first or second mark down. Of course some of the cuter things might be gone already, but that is the price you pay for being a bargain shopper.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

BethinMass
05-26-2004, 10:08 AM
What I've learned :)

With my first, I went crazy however as she got older, I did get better.

I learned that target, old navy, and other stores have some really nice play clothes for cheap money that last for as long as she would wear them.

I learned not to buy too many clothes. I remember her first 2 years, having clothes with tags still on them :/ and not just one or two outfits.

Like some others have said, Buying ahead actually worked in reverse for me. I'd buy some things on sale then forget about them, then when the season came, either cuter things would be out or my daughter wasn't in that size.

Also, as your child gets older, sometimes their shape changes. While my daughter has always been thin, now I actually have to buy pants from gap with the waist that you can bring in. I would never have thought I'd have to do that last year.

So, now I go shipping during sales when the children need clothes. I try to get a lot of "basics" that mix and match. I still do buy some special outfits and pretty clothes, however I did have to learn that when your child plays in dirt during the day, I'd prefer it wasn't in an outfit I spent 30 dollars in.

I've actually been putting this into practice with my son. It's great that I have a few outfits I really love and actually get use out of them, instead of having so many clothes that he may have only worn it twice. Nevermind I feel better not spending such huge amounts of money on clothes that they grow out of so quick :(

Also for birthdays etc, I tell people what sizes my children are, what clothes and colors they actually like and wear and believe it or not, I've gotten some really nice clothes, I may never have thought for buying for my kids.

Jeanne
05-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Well, I still buy more than both of my girls need but I have gotten control of it! I make a list each season with what I know they need. I also am a very lucky recipient of tons of hand-me-downs - all Gap, Gymbo, & Hanna.

For example:
2 all white t's
1 red t
7 various assorted colored t's and tanks
2 sweaters - 1 white, 1 pastel
3 denim shorts
2 khaki shorts
3 soft play shorts
3 assorted skorts/shorts
1 dress-up dress
3 everyday dresses
Assorted rompers and overalls
3 bathing suits
3 beach cover-ups
shoes, socks, hats, etc...

Of course, I don't always have to buy in this quantity as hand-me-downs dictate. I have a slew of everyday dresses that we will never get full use of.

My bigger problem is shoes! I can't seem to get that under control.

khakismom
05-26-2004, 12:11 PM
I *really* shouldn't be answering this question, as I am a horrible offender of overbuying. But here are my musings...

Like many of the previous posters, I return alot of clothes when I see something better. That way I'm "recycling" the same amount of money.

I only buy what I truly, truly, truly love (even if it's not on sale). It has taken me a few years to figure this out. I used to buy lots of stuff and then discover 1 month later that I hated it. Same with sales. I would buy thinking "this is such a bargain". It's not a bargain if she doesn't wear it, or if I don't like it enough to put it on her.

I also figured out what I like and don't like. For ex., I don't really like skirts on Kathleen. Her torso is so long (her legs are too), that they can make her look stumpy. And this is fine because she prefers dresses.

I buy what she likes and what she looks best in (ie, what fits). This means less capris and shorts because she wants to wear dresses 24/7. It also means lots of leggings in the winter because most pants fall off her.

I resale alot of clothes (I would eBay but I don't have the time.) I also shop resale shops and have gotten some great deals (Lilly Pulitzer dress that retails for $64 for $8!). But again I only buy it if I truly love it. (My problem is that I truly love too many things! :))

It's taken me a few years to figure out the brands I like, and therefore I usually stick to them. For ex, 99% of the time, I get:

*Leggings from Gymbo or BRU
*Dresses from BabyGap or Hanna (play ones from Target)
*Capris from Hanna or Target
*Shoes from Stride-Rite or BabyGap (an occasional pair from Target or Wal-mart)
*Rompers from Hanna, Gymbo or BRU

When I try to deviate from this, such as buying pants from Gymbo, it doesn't work. They don't fit, I don't like the way they look, and she never wears them. Then I'm wasting $$.

As far as a plan, making a list before the season of what pieces you really need helps. The problem for me is sticking to the list! As for avoidance, I find that if I don't go in the store or go to the store's website, then I spend MUCH less.

suribear
05-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Don't go shopping. Seriously! Since ds has gotten mobile, my shopping has been limited. I also joined a lot more classes and playgroups - the result is less time for shopping :)

I'm not the one to ask LOL but I have improved over the past year. I buy stuff on sale and only if I love it or we will use it a lot. I think about each purchase, even if it's only $2! That's the key for me. The little things add up after a while. I also return anything I won't use or don't like.

For example, dd has a million shirts. For some reason, I kept buying plain shirts. Granted, she uses them under her jumpers and with leggings, but from now on I won't buy SO many.

Kris

jpang
05-26-2004, 01:24 PM
The point about really loving clothes before you buy them, and about not overbuying in advance is well-taken. So far, I haven't bought too much in advance that she hasn't used. My most serious misfires (there's maybe one or two things she didn't wear but outgrew) came from misjudging weather/ her size (warm weather arrived later than expected). Also, I like the idea of buying in advance a little but leaving "holes" to be filled when the season starts.

DD isn't old enough to have clothing preferences yet, but I know that's coming soon, so I'm enjoying this time when I get to dress her however I want!

Thanks for all the responses-- it's been enlightening ;)

KYBelle1102
05-26-2004, 01:43 PM
I had to ban myself from Gymboree...During the Christmas time Gymbucks redemption, I had $100 in Gymbucks and still managed to rack up a $300 charge. Since I knew I wouldn't be able to stay out of there, I purposely stayed away from that mall for 4 months. If I had to go there, I avoided the center court where Gymbo is located. With Hannas though, I rationalized those purchases as high quality (and high $) so I needed less since they would wear longer. Fortunately, they just haven't been making irresistable boys clothes lately.

The main thing I started doing is that I do NOT take the tags off anything until Spencer actually wears the item. That way, if by chance he makes it through the season (or size) without wearing it, I'll be in a better position to sell it or swap it as NWT, as opposed to "gently worn". With Child #2 on the way (11/29) we'll see if we have another chance to wear those clothes or if I'll be buying a load of pink clothes next...

JenCA
05-26-2004, 03:35 PM
The ONLY sure fire way I've found to prevent overbuying clothes is to avoid the mall. Seriously!

Raidra
05-26-2004, 04:47 PM
I almost never buy clothes for Colwyn, but he has a ton of clothing we got as gifts. I feel so guilty when he outgrows something he only wore a few times, especially if I really liked it. We have a system for picking out clothes now, so everything gets worn pretty evenly, except two-piece outfits.

Anyway, when I do go into a store for Colwyn, I don't bring credit or debit cards, only cash. If I go in looking for a hat, I won't bring more than $10-15. If I need just two or three outfits, I don't bring more than $40-50.

I also don't shop at Gymboree, Hanna, or any of those places. Most of his clothes come from BRU. I try to go to the Carters outlet once per season, and get some great deals there.

Also.. now that he's eating solids that stain (carrots, etc), I find myself wanting to dress him less nicely, so I don't ruin an outfit. It hasn't been warm enough here lately to feed him naked.. but hopefully we'll do that soon.

vikivoly
05-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Without reading through all of the responses, the best advice I can give you is to STAY AWAY FROM THIS FORUM!! Really, I want to put a smiley at the end so you know I'm just joking, but STAY AWAY FROM THIS FORUM! Of course, it sounds as if you've already been bitten by the Gymboree bug, so it may be too late. So welcome, let me tell you about the Gymboree Visa...

jec2
05-26-2004, 05:25 PM
LOL! Seriously, I struggle to find things I like for my baby. Therefore, no overbuying here. Oh, for the first 3 months we had way too many sleepers and onesies, but those were all gifts.

jpang
05-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Okay, Vicki, you had me LOL with your STAY AWAY FROM THIS FORUM advice. It's true-- I'd never even heard of Hanna or Naartjie until I starting reading the posts here--:P

LoveMyBabyBeans
05-26-2004, 06:12 PM
LOL!! But having boys didn't help me. My first two are boys and I have to admit, I've overbought for them over the last 4 years and sadly, continue to do so. I am due any day now with a girl and I can see how there is SO much more out there for girls, but I had a ton of fun shopping for and dressing my boys. I'll have to see if I can contol myself once she's here and I see how cute she looks in everything I've bought.

kcimato
05-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Keep a running total of what you purchase and post it on the refrigerator. You'd be surprised at what you spend! Each time you purchase something think about the grand total so far.

stella
05-26-2004, 11:11 PM
But if you put it on the refrigerator, your husband will see it...

toomanystrollers
05-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Easiest way for me not to overspend - bring all three kids to the mall LOL

sugarsnappea
05-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Let DH do the bills. :)

parkersmama
05-27-2004, 09:43 AM
If you find out the real secret, let me know! LOL! I overbought a bit for the boys (and still do) but that is *nothing* compared to the all-out frenzy for girl clothes! Yikes! Fortunately, dh is an understanding guy and knew ahead of time that having a baby girl would equal astronomical clothing bills. :)

deborah_r
05-28-2004, 01:06 AM
Hmmm, I find I buy less when I stay the heck out of this forum! Then I don't know all of the good stuff I am missing, and lo and behold, DS is still clothed every day!

Alternately, I find making a list of what he has for the current season or the coming up season helps me to see what he might need more of. I was being tempted by some shirts and some one pieces, when I realized what he really needed was some shorts, and that pretty much satisfied his needs in the summer clothing category.

sarsah
05-28-2004, 10:04 AM
My oldest just turned 4, so I've been overbuying 'baby' clothes for almost 5 years now <lol>.

I can tell you that as your kids get older you do get better at it (not buying everything in sight and focusing more on what you really like on your kids). You also figure out how many of each item you actually need. I only buy on really good sale -- anything less than 50% off retail, I really think hard about it. I always buy a season ahead which usually means that I will end up with a few things that don't fit or I just don't end up liking as much as I thought I would. Since I'm buying at a discount, it really doesn't bother me because it would have cost me more to buy 'in season'. I do end up buying some things in season, like pj's -- I can never seem to find enough of them marked down -- and it's almost always sticker shock that a pair of decent 100% cotton pj's costs $20 or more.

I put everything that I buy ahead in a large Rubbermaid tub in each child's closet. I go through what's in there about once a month and try to make a list of what we still need for the next season. My oldest is 4, and I know he'll be hard on pants (wears out the knees), so if I can find them on a good mark down I make sure to buy quite a few pairs so that in Feb. & March he has at least a few pairs without holes in the knees -- the same with white t-shirts; I love to look of white t-shirts but they get dirty and stained so easily, so I'll stock up on two or three, so there's almost always a clean one. I also keep my receipts filed away, so I can return stuff if necessary. Places like Gymboree allows returns for 6 months and at Kohl's you can return stuff indefinately, as long as you have your receipt.

I live in metro Atlanta and am lucky that we have a lot of great childrens consignment sales in the Spring & Fall. I sell at one or two each time and have always made good money, especially for clothing with the tags still attached. I usually price them at 50% of retail (which is more than I paid for them), and even with the % that goes to the organizer of the sale (usually a charitable organization, so I get the tax write-off), I at least end up breaking even. I don't intentially buy clothing to sell at consignment, but I know I can fall back on it if I overbuy. I have a few friends who 'pre-shop' from my consignment sale piles and they are happy to pay for great quality stuff in good shape without having to fight the crowds at the sales.

My thought is that my kids are only going to be young for a short time and I truely loves shopping for their clothing and can afford to do so. I'm sure in time they'll only want to wear a certain kind of clothing, so I'll have to find a new 'hobby', but I'm going to have fun while it lasts!!!

Sarah.......mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)