PDA

View Full Version : Need some help deciding which shoes to keep

anutalp
06-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Today after enjoying Hanna sale I went to our local shoe store to enjoy another big sale. I got 6 pair of Elefanten shoes (I know, it's more than sad) but the best part that they were only $12 per pair! I guess it's a good deal, I'm not so big expert in baby's shoes since my DS is only 3.5 m old but at Hanna's they retail for $48 a pair. I know it's difficult to predict size so I bought different sizes starting from 19(size 4)- 22(size 6.5) guessing that 19 is supposed to be around 10-12 month, so I bought 20-21 for summer and than 22 for autumn-winter. They have some other styles so maybe I can change or return. I hope it will be something left tomorrow.
My questions are: Is it possible to predict shoe size? Which one do you like and which one I can pass on? I'm not so sure about a light blue pair, does it look girly?

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7543.jpg
I really appreciate your opinion, girls, so please help :)
Thanks,

urbanmama
06-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Ana, I'd like to offer my opinion but please keep in mind that I only have girls, do not have a brother, and basically know nothing about boys. So, after offering that disclaimer, my favorites are the second and third pair in the top row and the second and third pair in the bottom row.

Marie

anutalp
06-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Marie, thanks so much.
Are you counting from left or from right? :)

kelly ann
06-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Aren't you in the Chicago area? If so, you can't post that great deal without telling us where you found it :D

anutalp
06-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Sorry, sorry, I should think about it :)
Unfortunately I live near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1.5 hour from Chicago. I wish I live closer, I love Chicago!
The store is in Brookfield (where I live) and it's called Allen Edmonds. Maybe it's a chain, so if there are any stores in Chicago area they can have it as well.

vikivoly
06-11-2004, 12:50 AM
Ana,

I actually predicted DD's shoe size correct when I came across a good deal on a pair of Stride Rite dress shoes. It really was just a guess, so I can't offer much advice on the "how-to". As far as opinions, I've got lots of them, so here goes. :) I wouldn't wear the light blue ones on a boy, definitely too girly for me. I love the middle pair in the top row, but think the navy blue is nice also. All 3 pairs on the bottom are nice and I'm sure you would get plenty of use out of all of them, provided they fit during the correct season.

anutalp
06-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Thanks a lot.
I felt that they look too girly, even my DH told me so, but I already used to his comments and don't pay much attention.
Well, I'll return them and maybe get something else instead.

riostoker
06-11-2004, 03:17 AM
You definitely got an AMAZING deal!!! Even gently used Elefantens go on e-bay for $15-20! So... if any of those turn out to be the wrong size for the season, you could sell them and make a profit!

As for predicting shoe size, I've found that to be nearly impossible. Feet seem to grow in spurts that are completely unrelated to the rest of the child! All winter, my DD wore sneakers that were size 7. For summer, I bought her a pair of sneakers that were the same brand in an 8, thinking they would be a little big, but she'd have room to grow. They were humongous! I returned them for a 7.5 - still humongous! So... even after wearing 7's for almost 6 months, she still needed 7. Then, my mom bought her a pair of 7's... very cute shoes, fit perfectly for about a month. Then, all of a sudden, "too tight! too tight" - it was like her feet grew overnight.

With that fantastic deal, I don't blame you for buying ahead. If anything doesn't work out, you'll easily get your money back on e-bay. For the most part though, I think buying shoes ahead of time is pretty difficult.

ann

ann

jk3
06-11-2004, 05:18 AM
My DS is a year old and he wears size 18. It's really hard to predict but you can always keep them + sell them on Ebay if they don't fit next summer. I like all of them except for the light blue. Great bargain shopping!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

Momof3Labs
06-11-2004, 07:51 AM
Colin was a size 6 at one year old and a 7 by 18 months, so the size 4 at age 10-12 months for us would have been waaaaaay off. But for that price, you can always eBay what he can't wear!

anutalp
06-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Thank you very much, girls, I knew I can always count on you to share your thoughts.
I definetely going to return light blue pair and maybe look for something else :)

sarsah
06-11-2004, 03:48 PM
I find that it is next to impossible to predict shoe sizes for my kids. I'm really good at guess what size clothing they will wear the next season, but not shoe size.

My oldest DS has big, wide feet -- at age 1, he wore a 5 1/2 wide, while my youngest DS has small feet -- he's 13 months old and his feet have been measured at a size 3, although I haven't bought him any shoes since he's not walking on his own yet and he just takes them off, so it's a big PITA to deal with.

I do buy sneakers and sandals ahead for DS#1 becuase he has super wide feet and about the only place I can find shoes that fit him is at Stride Rite. I try to go to the outlet and buy two or three pairs in larger sizes so I have them when he outgrows his current pair. He wears sneakers all year round.

From your picture, my favorites are the navy sandals, black sandals in the top row and both pairs of black (or is one dark blue) on the bottom. The light blue sandals will get dirty quickly, so I would pass on those and the brown shoes are just not my style.

Sarah......mom to Jason & Devin

luv_my_girl
06-11-2004, 03:53 PM
I think it is totally impossible to predict shoe size far in advance. My skinny daughter wore very wide shoes at first, because of the high girth of her feet. Then, abruptly (after I'd stocked up on wide shoes at Nordstrom Rack!), she needed a regular width.

She also tends to skip sizes. So she'll wear a size 5.5 for 2 months, then suddenly jump to a 7.

bcafe
06-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Ana,
I assume you went to the tent sale? I live just north of Brookfield. Where did you shop Hanna? Thanks! Betsy

parkersmama
06-11-2004, 11:08 PM
First of all, I do not think any of them (including the light blue) are girlish at all. I would definitely put the light blues on my son (Wesley just had a light blue pair of retro tennies from LE recently!) because they would go great with so many of the babyish outfits. I would *not* put those shoes on my dd. To me, they are boy shoes (styling). Those light blue retro tennies were one of my favorites of his recent shoes. :)

Secondly, I have to agree with everyone else. It is almost impossible to predict what shoe size they will be wearing. Both my boys had huge feet. When they started walking around 10-11 months, their first pairs of shoes were around size 5 or 6! I figured Amy Grace would be the same way. But no!!! Her feet are tiny. She is 13 months and still comfortably wears a 3 1/2 or an 18. I bought her a pair when she started cruising, assuming that she'd be walking soon. Well, she didn't walk for quite a while and now they are too little. Argh! I have come to the conclusion that I should not, under any circumstances, buy shoes ahead. :) Oh, well.

pamela mom of 3
06-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Well FWIW, my son is 3.5yrs in the start of July and wears a size 9..
I have never been able to guess what size they'll be next, just so hard to be sure. Yet if you find they don't fit i bet you could re-sell them ;)

As to liking which ones, i agree with a few other posts the light blue i wouldn't put on ds, the rest i like, actually really like the sandals to the right of the light blue.

good luck!

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

anutalp
06-13-2004, 10:13 PM
I returned one pair and bough two more. I just love this shoes. I'm a shoe addict for myself and apparently for DS as well.
I guess if any of it will not fit I'll ebay them.
Thanks again for your kind help,