PDA

View Full Version : The "F" Word on a Onesie?!?!?!

lmariana
06-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Parents can dress their babies in whatever the heck they want, but I think this is too much...maybe it's my conservative Southernness, but seriously...

"My Daddy is a Mother F***er"
www.dookiewear.com

What's everyone's opinion on this?

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

JenCA
06-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Hideous and totally disgraceful. Ugh.

(Oh, and I'm a very liberal Californian! ;) )

vikivoly
06-12-2004, 01:03 AM
I think it's ridiculous and I'm don't consider myself conservative. I wouldn't even put it on a dog. How anyone could exploit their child like that is beyond belief.

urbanmama
06-12-2004, 01:50 AM
I try to be very open-minded and recognize that we all make different parenting choices, but this is ridiculous. Any parent who would put something like this on their child is seriously warped.

Marie

westchicagomom
06-12-2004, 02:59 AM
Mariana, you must have missed the recent thread regarding someone ISO of cute sayings on onesies. There were probably half a dozen sites listed that had questionable sayings on infant clothes.

There obviously has to be a market for this kind of thing which is sad in IMO. But as a PP said - to each, his own. I guess some people may buy them to wear as a joke around the house, but I wouldn't understand the rationale for a parent letting their kids wear them out in public. Perhaps those are the same kind of people who don't have a problem yelling the "F" word out in public while waiting in line at Wal-Mart or the grocery store. I guess it just depends on what one considers appropriate.

I certainly wouldn't waste my $ on them - I would rather spend it on Hanna!

shindagrl
06-12-2004, 03:35 AM
I've worked in healthcare for most of my working life, and that is one place you truly see all kinds. There are people who just really shouldn't be breeding, and I'm pretty sure some of them dress their kids in that kind of garbage.

I fully believe in personal freedom, but that kind of stuff just has absolutely no class.

lmariana
06-12-2004, 08:37 AM
I did miss that thread! I've been looking for cute onesies too, and although I've found quite a few, this one just totally caught me off guard. I can see humor in it, but I don't think that would ever be funny on a baby.

I did dig their "Evil Genius" shirt though!

Ditto on the Hannas, a much better investment!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

stillplayswithbarbies
06-12-2004, 09:58 AM
If the parents are the type to wear such a thing, then they wouldn't see anything wrong with dressing their baby that way too. In certain circles I am sure this is considered perfectly appopriate and stylish and very clever.

I'm sure there are parents who would look at the "DADDY" pictures many of us are doing for Father's Day and say "ugh how could they exploit their baby like that". Or see some of the lace dresses in the baby pictures and say "how sickeningly sweet, how gross".

It's a fashion choice. Our kids might not share our fashion sense and be horrified at the things they see in their baby pictures some day.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

JenCA
06-12-2004, 12:48 PM
IMO, it's far beyond a fashion choice. If a person chooses to dress their child in a onesie that displays foul language, then that person has made a parenting choice. I would go a step further to say that that parenting choice is to exploit his/her child's innocence by using him/her as a billboard for said parent's sardonic sense of humour (or lack of decorum, as the case may be). There's a big difference between a frilly lace dress and a onesie with the word "motherf****r" displayed across the front. And what message does this onesie give about the child's father? How is it fair to put those words into the mouth of a innocent little kid who doesn't know any better, joke or not?

Sorry for the rant, but this just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

kthomp
06-12-2004, 04:21 PM
I totally agree with you Jen.

I used to swear occasionally when I was really mad, but now I find myself saying "f" (just the letter) in situations I would have cursed. Amazing how the brain censors itself when it wants to.

Putting a child in clothing like that is not funny, in my opinion. Something else that might be cleaver or funny is fine, but not swears plastered on babies. I wouldn't use my baby as a bilboard to make jokes. They cannot control what they wear or look like, and that is a sick way to exploit that.

kijip
06-12-2004, 05:55 PM
I am sorry but if you think that there are people who should not have children, then you believe in limits on personal freedom. The right to bear children is considered fundamental in this country.

I don't agree with the double message on this shirt and I prefer to keep sex private and not make light of my marital relations. BUT I really don't see anything wrong with others liking it-and it does not make them bad parents, just people who are not opposed to swearing or people who are public about sex.

Frankly, I would never spend $100 on a baby sweater- I have some fairly strong views on this ...for MY family. I have no problem with other parents outfiting their children in expensive clothes but have chosen to spend my money on other things (strollers!). I could put my values on others and look down on parents who spend a lot of money on baby duds but I don't.

We all get to decide what we value and how we want to raise our children provided there is no abuse in the home. And there is abuse in ALL kinds of families with ALL kinds of values.

lisams
06-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Yuck. Just as yucky as little girls dressed in hoochie wear.

Lisa

californiagirl
06-13-2004, 08:44 PM
And what message does this onesie give
>about the child's father?

That he still has sex with the child's mother?

I think it's funny, precisely because of the play on words. But I
wouldn't put it on my child. I wouldn't put a frilly lace dress,
or something that said "Princess" or "Old Navy" on her either. They
all send messages about who I am and who she is that I don't like.

C99
06-13-2004, 10:05 PM
I saw these when I was pregnant and thought there were pretty icky. Now, I think they're kind of funny. But I wouldn't put my kid in one!

Vajrastorm
06-14-2004, 01:10 AM
So class is a requirement for "breeding"??

Yikes.

I'm not a fan of that kind of thing, for it is a site that sells punk clothing for babies, right? (Btw, I like the "Agenda: World domination" t-shirt. Hehe) So people who have that kind of aesthetic are going to dress their babies accordingly, and probably laugh at the general public's distaste.

I'm not into punk, or shock value for its own sake, but at the same time I'm not going to get all up in arms because someone puts a naughty joke on a baby's shirt.