PDA

View Full Version : I must be an alien, because EH doesn't do it for me

Vajrastorm
06-16-2004, 07:06 PM
:(

There are a few pieces I like, and a bunch of pieces I *almsot* like. Take the sweater dress - love, love, love it ... except that I hate the poodle. It looks like a witch.

I love purple, and I like dogs, so I was hoping to love this line.

Saves me money, I guess.

urbanmama
06-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I think that is the beauty of Gymboree. They come out with so many lines so that they have something to appeal to everyone. If you don't like this line, a new one will be out in a couple of weeks, KWIM? Personally, I hated Glamour Kitty, but a lot of people loved it. I'm also not a huge fan of Splash (ack-- will admitting that get me thrown off of this board?). I definitely don't hate it, but I have a kind of take it or leave it attitude with it. Also, I didn't buy one thing from Folk Song and some people list it as their favorite line ever.

BTW, I heard some other people at the store today saying that they didn't love it either. Most of the people didn't like purple.

Marie

murpheyblue
06-16-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm glad you were brave enough to say this. I wasn't! I was really excited to see some of the pieces but was disappointed when I did (haven't seen them IRL yet though). DH would kill me if I brought home something with a poodle on it. Maybe some of the plainer pieces will do it for me when I see them IRL. I like lavender and I can get into the Eiffel Tower.

You all will have me committed but I really didn't like Splash either. I went to Gymbo for the big sale a couple weeks ago thinking I'd get a bunch but didn't buy a single piece - judt didn't do it for me.

I'll still manage to spend too much money at Gymbo though!

ddmarsh
06-16-2004, 08:24 PM
I do not care much for EH either, mainly b/c I am just not a fan of purple at all. I also think (just my opinion) that the print is a bit overdone -- I loved the understatedness of Bon Voyage - that was its charm to me. I personally found some of the pieces, particularly the baby girl skirt, to me just so overdone. I decided that I do like the jeans and the little cinched top - both have very little print on them. Other than that, nothing that did anything for me.

Now the dress up line and the ballerina top and pants I want in every size until she goes to college :).

momtoemma
06-16-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm with you. I'll reserve my final judgement for when I see this line in person, but from everything I've seen so far, it just isn't doing it for me either. That's not a bad thing considering how much I've spent recently between purchases from Naarjtie and Hanna. Was that a poodle riding a scooter or what???

Imperia
06-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Yes, the poodle is on a Vespa which I think is a nod to "Roman Holiday" with Audrey Hepburn. See this pic:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7761.jpg

I knew some people would think the Vespa was a little weird, but I love it because I had one in high school--I was way too into the early 1960's at that point.

I think this is a sort of love it or hate it kind of a line. The nice thing about Gymboree is they produce a lot of lines and they vary a great deal. It's impossible to make a line that everyone likes. I heard a lot fo people begging for purple and lavender, other people want pink, some people want bright some want pastel..kwim? Some people hate food on clothes...some hate animals on clothes...some people are sick to death of florals. I am glad we all like differnetthings though because 1) there wouldnt be enough Gymbo to go around otherwise 2) it would be boring 3) more for me! LOL

For those of you who have little girls there is a new layette line out too, plus Glamour Princess (not sure I like that or not, some was cute...some was kind of cheap looking) and Copa Cabana! Plenty for everyone.

Imperia

Vajrastorm
06-17-2004, 12:05 AM
But here's the thing - I LOVE lavender for little girls! I like animals too. So I was hoping to adore this line. Its so "almost" for me. I like the vespa. The poodle hat is too weird though. Like I said, witchy.

I had my lavender chance, and its been blown!!!

AdoptChina
06-17-2004, 08:59 AM
I really am not loving the big girl line....blah. I wanted to buy some things, but I may just save my money.

DeeEast
06-17-2004, 11:23 AM
>I'm with you. I'll reserve my final judgement for when I see
>this line in person, but from everything I've seen so far, it
>just isn't doing it for me either.>

ITA. I've been thinking the same thing ever since reading the hoopla on here about EH. When I first saw the pictures, I thought "That's it? Huh? There's friggin poodles on the clothes!" lol I got my coupon today so I'll have to go check it out and see how it looks in person but the pics of the clothes themselves do nothing for me.

stella
06-17-2004, 11:33 AM
I have never been impressed withthe Gymboree I see online.

But when I get to a store (which is rare - the closest one is 2 hours from here), I really am impressed with how cute most things are (this does not, however, apply to the boys' lines!)

So while I am not blown away by EH online, I will take a closer look in San Antonio in a few weeks and see what I think at that point!

Samraelanelevi
06-17-2004, 12:07 PM
I too was hoping to love it! I wanted to buy stuff for my daughters, but there really is maybe only a couple items I'd even consider. :( I hate that opoodle purse-sorry but what were they thinking!

Did you see the Cabana line? It has a couple cute things and I will probably see if they are still around at gymbucks redemption and the dress up has a couple cute things as well.

Brenda

DeeEast
06-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Personally I found many more things I liked in the Lemony Fresh line than EH. Love those little green bloomers! And the layette Jardin Francais line. LOVE IT!

Vajrastorm
06-17-2004, 01:39 PM
I am animal nut, and cats are my absolute favorite.

There are kitties!! And horsies!!! I don't even care that the kitties are on pink!! Must have. Plus, Aine actually needs pants. We live coastel and it gets chilly in the evenings.

suribear
06-17-2004, 01:42 PM
I would have liked it if it didn't have poodles all over it.

Kris

urbanmama
06-17-2004, 02:15 PM
I agree! I do like EH, but I say that based on Baby Girl. I'm not nearly as fond of Kid Girl. I've been disappointed in the Kid Girl lines all year. And I'm sure it won't improve with that awful Sunflower line. How am I going to spend all of those Gymbucks?

Marie

tigalig
06-17-2004, 02:29 PM
I'm with you, I love the layette line and most of what I put on hold was from that line. It's awesome (love kitties and mice too). I think what I didn't like about EH is that the poodle isn't "cutesy" but I'm sure that's exactly what appeals to everyone else. Oh well, more EH for others and more sale stuff for me!!!

Ida

vikivoly
06-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Oh I could not agree with you more! I love the colors, but hate the print! I ran over to the sweater dress thinking this is a must have and then studied that stupid poodle to see if it was possible to remove it without ruining the dress.

The one item I will buy is the striped dress. Other than the striped pants it's the only item w/o French icons or poodles.

Why oh why can't they make clothes for girls with real dogs! (Sorry, but just not a poodle person.) The only place I've ever since dogs like goldens or labs on clothing for baby girls is Old Navy. Gymboree always has poodles or terriers.

FWIW, I LOVED Splash and Folk Song, so I usually like the more popular lines.

cinrein
06-17-2004, 04:02 PM
I don't see what all the buzz is about either, sorry. I think it's cute, but really not much cuter than their usual stuff. We will probably buy a few pieces, but certainly not a lot.

My faves so far were Folk Song and Splash. I also liked Candy Apple, but I think I'm the only person on earth who did. I love red and blues on my DD.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

khakismom
06-17-2004, 04:16 PM
See, I am the opposite. I normally am not a fan of purple or lavendar. Just NMS. So I wasn't expecting to like this line. Saw it today and I love some pieces, whereas others I was ehhhh on. I hate Gymbo's pants with a passion--but I LOVE their leggings. Why couldn't they come out with some cute lavendar leggings, like the print Puppy Love ones, which are my all-time fav! And I normally don't do skirts on the girls, so I will either get some tops and then try to find some leggings that match, or just pair the tops with jeans in the fall. Or break down and buy the girls each a pair and pray they fit, which they never do. So no leggings is my beef with this line!!!

Imperia
06-17-2004, 04:21 PM
There are actually two pairs of knit pants. One navy with a little ruffle on the cuff--with the all over print and one lavender (these were CUTE!) with the same all over print. I liked the laveder ones best they were sort of the fit and flare knit pants they normally do in the basics but they had a print. They also had a cute bow at the waist.

Imperia

khakismom
06-17-2004, 04:38 PM
I will be getting the lavendar ones. The knit pants are normally better, but see, I'm not a fan of flares either. Aren't I picky picky? :) I love the leggings because they are straight-legged. So for Ellen I think we will be getting the lavendar print pants, plus the striped. And for Kathleen, just the navy capris. The navy print was a little busy for me. But I am planning on taking Kathleen with me to Gymbo on Saturday to try some of this stuff on. Now I just have to decide if I should get the shoes or not. And if she spies the ballerina dress-up get-up, it is all over for me... :)

Imperia
06-17-2004, 04:42 PM
I don't like flares on myself AT ALL (I was born in the 70's so it's not my fault if I wore them as a child), but for some reason I think they are sort of cute on babies. I also lik ethe knit Gymbo pants because Maddy has the smallest wasit you have ever seen (Scarlett O'Hara anyone?) and it takes forever for her to fit into pants. I dread when she starts to crawl. The navy pattern is much more busy but if you balance it with the right top It's actually kind of cute. I prefer it in the skirt though and I think it's best to keep navy to a minimum around a baby's face.

Imperia

Jenmv
06-17-2004, 07:06 PM
You're not the only one. I'm not crazy about the poodles or all of the French stuff, just not my style. Personally I like the navy/lavender color combination. DD looks good in navy but absolutely horrid in lavender. Literally she looks like she is on deaths door in that shade of lavender, so no adorable sweater dress for us.

I also liked Candy Apple and Apple for the Teacher which I now a lot of people didn't, but like others have said thats the nice thing about Gymoboree. They come out with so many different lines that there is something for everyone ( at least for girls ;-) ).

JenCA
06-17-2004, 07:25 PM
I didn't really care for Candy Apple, but I am one of those rare people who really liked Apple for the Teacher, too. DD actually had a lot of items from that collection last Fall that I started buying for her before she was even born, and when she wore them, she got tons of compliments.

I love EH, mainly because lavender is my favorite color and I've been dying to find lavender things for DD to wear. I'm also kind of a nut for all things Parisian, so I am really digging this line. :)

friedmana1
06-17-2004, 07:53 PM
BTW, I just bought the lavendar pants today, and the material that they are made out of is really terrible. It's almost already pilling, and it didn't even "walk" out of the store. They were much cuter than the navy print ones IMO, however after thinking that these would be trash after one washing, I might get the navy ones instead.

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

karin4
06-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Aimee, I thought the same thing about the lavendar pants! I didn't buy them, but had planned to (wanted a pair of pants, didn't really like the navy ones, am waiting for gymbucks redemption for the jeans...but I digress!). I put them back after feeling the pants...they just felt cheap to me. VERY un-gymboree quality, I thought.

JenCA
06-17-2004, 08:08 PM
This is good to know, because the lavender pants were on my wish list. I thought they were much cuter than the navy pants, but if the fabric seems cheesy, I think we'll pass!

colleenfs
06-17-2004, 09:05 PM
I actully love the color combination of lavendar, navy, and white. But this whole line is just too busy for me! If some of the pieces were a bit more plain, without the Eifel towers and poodles, I would like them. As it is, I bought nothing from EH today, though I did buy from the dress up line. If I had a little one, I would have gotten some layette pieces - very cute. When Gymbucks comes around, I may buy the plain short sleeved rouched tops (in a big girl size 4 for next spring) in blue and lavendar. Maybe the pleated lavendar skirt. But that's it. I also like the ballet t shirt. I'm on the fence with the pink pants with tulle ruffles. I think they're cute, but too prissy maybe?

Oh well. I have 3 Gymbucks to spend in July (thanks to the play gym, who inadvertantly gave me an extra one!) I think I'll buy some basic leggings from the Sunflowers. I looked at the Look Book, and I think I can get some decent basics that aren't covered in huge gauche sunflowers!

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

vikivoly
06-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Jen,

I'll agree with you about Apple for the Teacher. When I saw the overall line hanging on the wall I thought it was truly horrid, but when it went on sale there was a ton of it left so I took the time to sort through it. I ended up buying about 7 or 8 pieces that are absolutely adorable and every time DD wore one the outfits she got a ton of compliments.

Imperia
06-17-2004, 11:07 PM
That's strange because the mauvey lavender pants from GPR (glamour princess) felt really awful to me (read cheap) I didn't notiec that with the lavender EH pants. I have them on hold for saturday will have to check.

Imperia

redgus
06-19-2004, 12:57 AM
i saw the line IRL and i'm not crazy about it. i think i like copacabana and glamour princess better.
diana-mom to abby(apr 2001) and emma (jan 2004)