PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Help Needed

ast96
06-18-2004, 01:59 PM
I have resorted to buying DS clothes on Ebay, since Gymboree's stuff is atrocious, Baby Gap's has gone downhill (IMHO), and Hanna, J&J, and boutique jon-jons (see thread below) are so expensive. I am just learning how to use Ebay, and I keep getting outbid at the last second by a more savvy Ebayer! Can anyone give me tips on how to avoid being outbid at the last second, or how to smartly bid on toddler clothes items?

Thanks,
Allison
DS 06/02
DS 03/04

jk3
06-18-2004, 02:11 PM
I usually place an item I like on my watch list + bid in the last 2 minutes or so. I've been moderately successful. If you really want an item, I find it's important to watch the auction in the last few minutes. Putting in a high bid at another point in the auction doesn't really help because if someone else wants it they will wait and bid high at the auction's close. Some of the Buy Now auctions are also priced pretty well. I've only bought a few items that way but you definitely win that way. Hope that helps!
Jenn
DS 6/3/03

steph2003
06-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Allison -

I'll be bidding right along with you :) You could have taken the words right out of my mouth about boy's Gymboree & Baby Gap being going down hill + other stuff being pricey. I have gotten hooked on Ebay the last few days. I agree with the other poster if it is an item you really want I find I have to watch it very close the last couple of minutes. Other than that I don't have any other suggestions for you.
Good luck!

sweetbasil
06-18-2004, 04:16 PM
I always wait to bid until the end, too. That way, you're flying a little lower under the radar, YKWIM? I use www.esnipe.com to bid when I'm not around, it's something I really want, etc. It seems, as I've been doing more selling than buying lately, that many bids are coming in the last few minutes- an item may look untouched and then get bid up incredibly in the final auction minutes.

Have fun!

parkersmama
06-18-2004, 04:41 PM
Another sniping service (they bid on your item in the last seconds of the auction for you) that I have used is www.auctionstealer.com . They give you a couple of free snipes per month and then charge after that. I only use it for things I really *must* have! Such as a Hanna playdress & leggings set last fall. :)

JElaineB
06-18-2004, 05:25 PM
Last minute bidding (sniping) is a pretty common way for people to win auctions. You bid at the last minute (or seconds) and bid your "true max price" that you are willing to pay (keeping shipping in mind). If you lose you can't feel bad because someone else paid more than the absolute maximum you would pay for that item. You can also bid your true max price earlier in the auction, but you are more likely to lose to nibblers that way (people who bid low and keep re-bidding if they get outbid). A couple automatic sites are mentioned above. Another one I have used is http://www.vrane.com. They let you have one free snipe at a time. However, that site has worked for me a few times, but once or twice it didn't seem to place my bid when if should have.

Here's a couple of pages on ebay sniping:

http://www.moyen.org/snipe

http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=supersniper

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

heidi_timms
06-18-2004, 09:21 PM
I use www.auctionsniper.com as my sniper! It works well and the first 3 snipes are free! Once you use up your first 3 free auctions, the fees for inexpensive items, I think $25 or less is just 25 cents, which is reasonable. It's nice because you don't even have to be there when the bidding ends and the sniper service bids in the last 5 seconds for me.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

DeeEast
06-18-2004, 09:48 PM
I like Auction Sentry. Think I paid like $15.00 for it? Got it from Cnet.com. The price will be listed there and I got free snipes at first to test it out. Never won an auction before it and I love this thing.

ginamlee
06-18-2004, 09:54 PM
I use www.esnipe.com and have used it for many years. It is the one and only way that I place bids on eBay. Since I've been using it since inception, I am grandfathered in for free snipes under $25. Most wins are under this anyway, and it is worth it for a larger purchases. If you want to buy on eBay, use some sort of sniper service.

rfeibelm
06-19-2004, 12:59 PM
So that's how I lose so often! I feel so naive! I've been buying on ebay for several years and had no idea about this method. I've been owndering how I've been losing so many auctions especially on Majamas clothes. And who has the time to watch every auction at the end unless you're a SAHM. No offense. But being at work all day when I have no computer access kind of prevents that.

LucyG
06-19-2004, 01:23 PM
I have found that making my maximum bid an odd amount ($15.60 v. $15.50) helps in some situations. A lot of people bid up in $0.50 or $1.00 increments. Also, I never used to put in my maximum bid (I would just bid up in increments instead), but I have been more successful since putting in the max. bid and just waiting to see how I come out at the end. I don't eBay much, but have picked up a little savvy since I started! Good luck!

ast96
06-19-2004, 06:19 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the tips! I had NO idea Ebay was so complicated. I am a SAHM, but I have NO time to sit by the computer all day! I might try one of the "sniping" services, or I might just try to be a bit savvier about my bidding in the first place (and make my max bid a true max bid and then just see what happens). THANK YOU! I am still losing some auctions, but I am winning some too!

Allison
DS 06/02
DS 03/04