PDA

View Full Version : Possible to predict shoe sizes?

squimp
06-18-2004, 03:37 PM
I keep seeing all these cute sandals on sale everywhere, even though Sophia probably won't be walking until the fall. It doesn't help that I'm tranferring my shoe fetish onto her.

So, is it possible to predict her shoe size next spring/summer? We just got her sized at Nordstrom (4.5-5), and they suggested size 6 for fall. Somewhere I read that they go up a size every 3 months for the first few years. So should I be buying size 8 for next spring/summer? Or is it so iffy that I just ought to wait, and by myself shoes instead?

nitaghei
06-18-2004, 03:44 PM
No, there's no way to predict shoe size accurately. There really isn't any good rule of thumb to apply for feet - unlike the CDC growth charts for clothes. And width can change over time too. There's simply no way of knowing how your child's feet will grow.

Shoes are the one thing I grit my teeth over and pay full price. I don't even buy 2 months ahead; just go in every 6 weeks to 2 months to have DS fitted for shoes. Feet are one thing you don't want to muck around with. And I don't trust the incompetents at my local Stride Rite either - only the truly knowledgable person at Nordstrom's.

So go buy shoes for yourself!!:) Have fun!!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Marisa6826
06-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Another Sophie Mommy!

No, no way to judge at all. I bought two pair of Elephanten sandals and a pair of Ralph Lauren t-strap gingham espadrilles all in size 5. Sophie's been a 4-4.5 for FOUR months.

The other shoes are HUGE on her and I doubt that they will fit her this summer. I'm out a lot of money (they weren't returnable since I bought them all on sale).

*sigh*

Maybe they'll fit the next baby...

-m

kransden
06-18-2004, 04:03 PM
ITA with Nita and Marisa. Dd had huge feet, now they are a little wide but average. There is just no way to predict the sizes. Buy her extra clothes instead!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

zuzu
06-18-2004, 04:46 PM
This is an aside, but I had to share it with someone, and your mention of Nordstrom's reminded me . . .

We were there last weekend to get Sarah fitted for sandals and the manager I usually wait for was busy, so I let someone else measure her. I wasn't really closely watching what he was doing, until he said she looked to be about a 12 or 13. Excuse me!? I told him she was around a 4-4.5 or an 18-19 in European sizes. There was no way she was a 12-13. He insisted she was and tried to show me and I then noticed he had the measuring device upside down! I had to explain to him that he was using it incorrectly, and tried the whole while to keep a straight face. I should have let him go back and get that size and just to see how ridiculous it would look on my one year old. ;) I'm not saying that to dissuade anyone from going to Nordstrom's, so please don't take it that way. That's the only less-than-wonderful experience I've ever had there, and when I told the manager, he was outraged. Apparently the upside-down-measurer-guy was just supposed to be working the register to help with the rush of shoppers and overstepped his bounds.

I agree with the others that shoes are so hard to buy ahead. The only way I would do it (and I still probably wouldn't) is if I could return them at any time. But there will be sales next season/year too! :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)