PDA

View Full Version : HELP - going to the beach with 8-month old!!

PattiB
06-21-2004, 06:02 PM
OK, I'm a new mom that worries about everything....actually I'm better than I used to be. But we're taking our first vacation with our DD this August when she'll be 8 months old. We're going to the Florida gulf and it will probably be HOT. What do I need to buy and think about? We bought a canopy thing for the beach...I'm hoping this will give us all enough shade.
And I stocked up on Baby Blanket sunblock...has anyone used this? Our dr. told us not to worry about SPF levels b/c the higher levels don't offer any more protection above 30, or so he says. Also I've heard zinc oxide or titanium oxide is the way to go, and Baby Blanket has that.
But what else? I really have very basic questions, like at 8 months I assume she'll be moving around (she isn't crawling yet) so will she stay put under the canopy? And should I get a tarp to put down on the sand? I assume she'll eat the sand if I let her play in it...is this harmful or will she quickly figure out it's no good?
I also bought one of those baby boat things with a canopy. And what's the deal with swim diapers? Do you clean them after baby's peed or pooped in them and then use them again? Do you use them under a baby swimming suit? Regular disposable diapers will get soggy and useless, I assume? And should I put on a coverall to protect her further from the sun or will she get too hot....
At 8 months should I think about bringing beach toys or should I just bring her favorite rattles, etc.?
I don't think I'm going to have much fun b/c I'll be so worried about her the whole time...should we bring a pack'n play on to the beach so I know she'll stay put? The house we're renting is right on the beach so I'm planning on just being out a little at a time, and then go back to the shady house when the sun's too hot.
Sorry for all of the questions - as you can see I'm a complete novice and I know I should stop thinking about this so much....
Any advice would be appreciated!!

Patty

deenass
06-21-2004, 06:30 PM
We took my son to the Carribbean when he was 8 mos .... it was FINE!!! and it was FUN!!! Yes, he ate sand, yes it was a mess, but he's a kid and he had a blast. I had a "wetsuit" for him so he was a little more covered up than with just a bathing suit.

You use a swim diaper just like a regular diaper, put the suit over it. If they pee or poop just change the diaper and start with a new one.

My son was just starting to crawl so we were fine with blankets and towels. A tent or umbrella is nice if you have one to block from the sun.

Because it will be so hot, it's probably best to avoid 10 - 2 (baby probably needs to nap anyway!)

Get some shovels and buckets, or cups for baby to play with. Make sure they are rinsable since they will get sandy.

Slather on the sunscreen and enjoy!

votre_ami03
06-21-2004, 08:10 PM
Oh Patty, you are too funny!

Nolan & I went to the beach last month (10 mos). He wore disposable swim diapers (Huggies) & then I covered them w/trunks. You don't have to cover them, but I don't like the look otherwise (jmho). A hat, if she will wear one, Nolan does. Put sunblock on b/f you get to the sand! Otherwise, you will have a sandy gooey mess.

I brought a blanket & toys, a truck, pail & shovel. He was cruising up & down the beach. I did not have the sun cabana & wish I did, although Nolan probably would not sit still! I brought a life vest too, so I could take him into the water, which he loved. No matter how tight I think I have him, I just wanted to be safe. Maybe a beach umbrella for the fam, just in case the baby will not sit in the cabana thing?

I hear that baby powder is great to get sand off too (read that here :)).

Other than that, a baby sized towel is great, plenty of fluids. I brought milk & water. Nolan ate sand, no matter how hard I tried to stop him, he was drooling sand. :( ick! It was all over the paci, the bottle & him. Good thing you will be close to your beach house.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03