PDA

View Full Version : The unexpected fun and frivolous parts of having a girl!

LucyG
06-23-2004, 12:10 PM
I knew I would love buying cute clothes for her, and then dressing her up in them. I knew I would love playing with dolls again. I can't wait to fix her hair and give her ponytails. But I never imagined that I would spend twenty minutes at Kmart with my baby girl, looking at purses and loving it! She is really getting into bags, and loves to tote them all over the house. Now, I ended up not getting her the pink purse with her initial on it today, but I was struck by how fun (and a little silly since she's 16 months old) it is to spend time like this with my daughter. I'm sure I would be writing something similar if I'd had a boy (albeit about something other than purses!), but don't you just love realizing all of the fun things being a mommy means?

*This is probably more of Lounge post, but since we've been talking about little girls and purses lately, I thought I'd put it here.

khakismom
06-23-2004, 12:25 PM
They are so much fun, aren't they?! Kathleen loves to go shopping with me, even to the grocery store (Target and Costco are 2 faves too). It's an actual joy to take her places, I love it! :)

AvasMama
06-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Even though Ava is only 5 months old, I am already loving taking her shopping. Sales clerks think I'm nuts, I'm sure, because I am always talking to her, holding things up to show her, etc. She loves all the sounds and lights and colors and just giggles and smiles constantly. It is SO much fun for both of us, and it's great to hear that it only gets better!!

Robyn & Ava

Imperia
06-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Robyn,

that sounds like me! I am always either holding Maddy and bringing her over to things tos ee or bringing them to her. And I am always talking to her ask well. I ask her if she likes that colour or whatever. It's not nuts a baby is a little human person, they have thoughts they just aren't good at expressing them yet =) Maddy always coos and giggles when I show her things that are yellow. She just LOVES yellow and she loves insects not sure why that is.

Imperia

cinrein
06-23-2004, 02:05 PM
I can't wait for this girly stuff either! Anna had her first flash of girlydom yesterday. I was changing her dipe and getting ready to hit the mall. I said to her as soon as we change her we're going to get in the car and go shopping, to which she repeated, "Shappin". Yup, that's my girl! :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

kransden
06-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Yes it is a bunch of fun! My dd was awful to take to the store, or anywhere as a baby. She was not an easy baby. Now that she has outgrown it, we have the best time trying on hats, bringing our purses etc. It is really silly when shw puts on my shoes!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

AvasMama
06-23-2004, 03:24 PM
I am glad I am not the only one! It's great that Maddy likes to shop as much as her mama!

The funny thing is, clerks frequently comment on how good Ava is in the stores. They will say, "doesn't she get bored?" Well, no, because I am always talking to her and involving her in choosing clothes and other stuff! But I do get lots of odd looks when I hold up outfits for Ava and ask her what she thinks. So far she hasn't shown any clear preferences -- just tries to grab everything and put it in her mouth :)

Robyn & Ava

vikivoly
06-23-2004, 04:56 PM
I really wanted a boy, but was blessed with a girl. I'm not a girly girl and have a ton of nephews that I love to play with, so I thought I would make a much better boy's Mom. BUT, I just love having a girl. I'm so glad we don't get to decide on the sex because I would have missed out on so much. Of course I'm sure if I had a boy I would be just as thrilled, but I expected that.

Jenmv
06-23-2004, 08:00 PM
They are so much fun. I was a tom-boy growing up who never played with dolls and now my mom teases me that dd has become my doll. In other words I am making up for lost time. I have soooo much fun dressing her up. I can't wait till her hair is long enough to do more with it. I also constanly talk to her while we are shopping out in public and occasionally wonder if people think I'm nuts. Oh well, they do understand us even if they don't talk back. DD is also showing signs of being a girly girl when it comes to clothes. She LOVES shoes and will often put on her own hats etc... She picked out her first dress at 15 months. I was debating between two sundresses. I put one in the cart and put the other one I didn't want back on the rack and DD grabbed that one back off the rack and threw the one that I had chosen out of the cart. After we got home she rifled threw the shopping bags, pulled out the dress that she had picked and insisted that I put it on her! This may not be so cute when she gets older. :)