PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I go into Gymboree without buying anything?

lrucci
06-24-2004, 01:45 AM
I promised myself that I was just going to go exchange the EH skirt for a smaller size, which BTW I decided against. Somehow I was in the store for 20 minutes looking around - I could do their inventory in my sleep - so I don't know what I was expecting to find that was different. I felt like I should buy something since I was there, so I ended up spending $40 on LF item that I was planning on getting during gymbuck redemption. There were only 2 shirts left and 3 skirts, so I convinced myself that I needed to buy these items TODAY or else they'd be gone. Why do I always feel the need to spend spend spend in that store? I need help!!!!

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

urbanmama
06-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Lisa,

You are not alone! I'm convinced that the only way to stop spending so much on my children's clothing is to stay away from the mall and this forum. However, I'm not doing either of those yet. Although I need to stop getting caught up in the hype so much. I bought all of this EH stuff because I was concerned it would sell out and everything is still available online and my stores (I have several in my area) still have a ton of everything.

Marie

mlewis
06-24-2004, 10:24 AM
I agree! The only way to not spend money on baby clothes is to not read these boards and to not even go near a mall - of course, that's impossible!!

vikivoly
06-24-2004, 10:57 AM
"Hype" such a great word for this forum! We really are a bunch of shopaholics just encouraging each other. I started out thinking Gymboree was waaay overpriced with some cute things - "I'll never pay full price" to "When should I buy ____, I better buy it now at full price before they're all sold out" only to find it on the clearance rack for $6.99 2 months later! Really, if an item is sold out, it's not the end of the world.

Oh well, can't wait for redemption period!

DDowning
06-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Easy solution for you - have a boy! The selection will turn you off real quick and you'll realize that the striped outfit you have from one store, looks like the striped outfit from another, which was a duplicate - but in a different color - from the one on the other end of the mall.....

you get the picture! :)

jk3
06-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Agreed! Have a boy. It's much easier to walk out empty handed.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

jpang
06-24-2004, 01:45 PM
I had the same experience yesterday. Went in to return the Splash sweater and ended up buying five more splash pieces plus the little purse from the Candy Apple line. Granted, all the items were on super clearance and I got a PA on things I bought last week, but still... I wish I didn't "save" so much money at that store.

The sales assistant confided in me that she, too, had overbought last week and had a whole bunch of returns to process for herself yesterday. So at least I didn't feel so alone! DS now has a good half of the Splash pieces stocked up for next summer. I hope we both still like them & that I guessed her size right for next summer.

Buffys Mommy
06-24-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm the same way. In January (just as I found this forum) I used my COF coupon and spent $7.99 on a Folk song jumper for next year - that was it. Now... I have 3 gymbucks. UGH...

And Janice - our DD's were born the same day. I also have a ton of Splash for next summer. Let's hope sizing works out. I LOVE that line.

Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

parkersmama
06-24-2004, 02:18 PM
I'm the same way.

But, I deserve a big pat on the back! I went there yesterday to exchange the EH jeans for the smaller size and get PAs on things bought last week and left without buying *anything* new!!! Yipee! :)

jpang
06-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi, Sarah (?-- your name, not your DD's ??)--

What a coincidence that both our DDs were born on the same day! I don't know about you, but I was induced the night before, and when we were scheduling the induction, the dr. said, "Oh, the next day is the 13th, do you mind?" We didn't mind at all, and now consider the 13th to be our lucky day. Our hospital, which is sometimes so crowded there are not enough rooms for everyone, was pretty empty. I think some other parents may have avoided that date.

I love Splash-- and I don't have that reaction to many Gymboree lines. Like you, I also have 3 gymbucks. During redemption time, I'll be visiting relatives with small kids. I'm hoping to go shopping with some of their moms and let them use the coupons. Honestly, I don't know if there's that much more Gymboree I'd like right now.

What size did you buy for next summer? I bought almost all 2T because DD is a pretty good sized baby who is already outgrowing some of her 6-12 month clothes.

Thanks for noticing the birthdays ;-)

jpang
06-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Denise,

My hat's off to you! What willpower!!

Imperia
06-24-2004, 03:56 PM
I am a little nervous as I have to go to my local Gymbo to return that stupid princess chihuahua tee they accidently sent! (BTW it looks like they must have cancelled that second order after all as it didn't show up!)

I have no bought a SINGLE thing from the "Super Sale" and unless it's something on my must have list I am not going to until Gymbuck time. I am sure people thought I was insane becaus eI bought all of EH but I knew I would and I planned accordingly by selling off a bunch of things on eBay etc, so it's already paid for. I hadn't bought much Gymboree since Splash either--one outfit from CA, one from LF and a few things from JF.

I hate how they have so many sales sometimes though becaus eyou feel like you NEED to buy stuff since it's "so cheap!"

I will not buy anymore Gymbo...
I will not buy anymore Gymbo...

Imperia

jpang
06-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Oh, I just realized your DD is "Sarah Michelle" and thus you are "Buffy's Mom." :) My DD's middle name is "Cordelia" but it has nothing to do with Buffy, although people do ask us that.

urbanmama
06-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Janice,

DH and I considered the name Cordelia for both of our daughters, but chickened out because we thought people would think it was too wierd. Maybe we'll have the courage to use it if we decide to have a third!

Marie

urbanmama
06-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Denise,

I'm WAY impressed. I failed miserably. I'm truly going to try to stop getting hyped up about every sale though. It is SO rare for me not to be able to find something I want until it gets severely marked down.

Marie

jpang
06-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi, Marie,

DH was actually the one who chose the name Cordelia. From King Lear (as you may know, since you also like the name)-- she's the daughter who truly loves her father and always speaks the truth to him. Even though the truth really angers her father at the beginning. I asked DH, "Are you sure you want to put that burden on your daughter?"

We'll see if he always wants to hear the truth from her, especially when she's a teenager, LOL.

The name has grown on me-- I like the way it rhymes with Lena's first name. You should give it a try if you have another daughter. I'm partial to names that you don't see everywhere, and Cordelia is a great old-fashioned name.

friedmana1
06-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Well, I promised myself I would not step into that store until redemption, and so far I have held to that. I do have a bunch of things to return, but I know myself - if I walk in there, $100 goes down the drain. Denise, I do not have your restraint. :)

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

lrucci
06-24-2004, 11:29 PM
I sympathize with all of you moms that have boys. I went shopping last month for my friend's ds and I went to about 5 different stores before I found something to buy. Even then I wasn't totally thrilled with it.

When dh found out we were having a girl he said "Oh great, we're having the expensive kind". I don't think he realized how true his words really were.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03

lrucci
06-25-2004, 12:18 AM
I am very impressed Denise!! The only way I can go into the mall without buying from Gymbo is to stay at the opposite end of the mall. I've done that twice.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh 7/19/03