PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize all the little stuff?

parkersmama
06-29-2004, 08:35 AM
With my boys, there wasn't nearly so much "little stuff" lying around! Not that this couldn't happen with a boy but now that I have a girl there is a ton of stuff all around that seems to defy organization!!

We have a small jewlery box that her few jewelry items (that she really doesn't even wear yet!) go in. But what do I do with hair bows and accessories (especially those tiny rubberbands!)? What about hats? And shoes? Sweaters and jackets?

I think the problem is that I tend to buy more than one of things for her. Whereas the boys had one or two hats, she has hats to compliment every outfit practically! And she has several pairs of shoes. And lots of cardies. And, of course, there were never bows for the boys! LOL!

So, ingenious solutions? Great storage tips? Something I'd never think of in a million years? Let me hear 'em!! :)

sugarsnappea
06-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Great question Denise. Right now I have no idea how to organize anything! But my first goal is to do something with all the hair accessories. Some have suggested hanging up ribbons and attaching the barrettes to them. Sounds good, but we have a zillion barrettes and ponytail holders. I look forward to some ingenious solutions as well. :)

urbanmama
06-29-2004, 10:08 AM
When we had our house built, I had my girls' walk-in closets customized with shelving units. For hair accessories, I have a lined basket for all of the ponytail holders, etc. For barrettes, I purchased several barrette holders from a local boutique. They are pieces of fabric with a ribbon sewn down the length of them. There is a ring on top which I have hung from a nail in the closet. The barrettes clip to them. Any barrettes that I bought to match a line from Gymboree come down when they stop wearing those particular items.

Marie

heidi_timms
06-29-2004, 11:05 AM
We bought a shoe hanger that hangs on the back of the door of my DD's closet. It is clear plastic and was $5.99 at Target. It has about 20-24 pockets for stuff. Actually, I can't tell if I bought the adult version or child's version. I can fit two pairs of her shoes in each pocket though. I can also put hats(folded up) and one pocket is for barrettes and hair doo dads. I love the organization!

stillplayswithbarbies
06-29-2004, 11:09 AM
I use a shoe rack on the back of her closet door for shoes and hats. (the kind with the clear pockets). Her jewelry and other important trinkets go in her jewelry box on top of her dresser.

Hair tiebacks and barrettes are in my room where I do her hair. So far I don't have to store them as she never comes home with a barrette still on! LOL

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

khakismom
06-29-2004, 12:58 PM
We use a couple things for organization. In Kathleen's closet, there is a hook rack that is hung low so K can reach it. Here we have her hats and purses hanging. It is similar to this, but white plastic (from BB&B):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8461.gif

We also have the ribbon hanging from the wall--like what Marie describes--that holds all the bow barrettes.

We also have a small plastic pink and purple tower with three drawers (from Target) that sits on a shelf on her bookcase. In the top drawer are her little bracelets she sometimes likes to wear, the middle drawer are the cheap hair clips and rubberbands, and the bottom drawer is lipgloss and roll-on glitter (courtesy of the birthday goodie bags) that she will play with.

Sweaters are folded or hung in the closet. She usually hangs her white hoodie off her little rack in the closet so she can get to it if she wants it. Coats and jackets are in the downstairs entryway closet.

Shoes are another story. I am going to get a shoe organizer like this to fit in one of her closet cubbies. Otherwise, the shoes are piled sitting next to each other or in their boxes--where I forget about them. The shoes are demanding to be organized.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8462.jpg

parkersmama
06-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Thanks, everyone! Keep those great ideas coming!

Maureen...you hit the nail on the head and the reason I want to organize...I forget that we have certain things!! It's frustrating to have a matching hat that you've forgotten for half the summer! :(

I had thought about a hanging shoe organizer. I have purchased the canvas kind at Target for the boys and I stamp the pockets with the room decor (sports...so football, soccer ball, etc, in paint to match the room) and we hang it on the *outside* of the closet door. They keep their hats in there as well as beanie babies and other small stuffed animals. I looked for one at Target the other day and the only one they had was edged in black which doesn't match AG's bedroom at all! The clear one may be an even better idea, though, since you can see what's inside.

A trip to BB&B may be in order here! :)

Samraelanelevi
06-29-2004, 05:06 PM
For my girls I have a bow holder-it's a head with hair for hanging bows off of. Then I bought some cute butterfly hooks (matches the room decor) and I hang the purses and some hats on those. I too have the over the door shoe thing for shoes. For the small bows and pony-o's I have a plastic basket in my daughter's top dresser drawer. But my plan is to purchase a three drawer (mini version) plastic rubbermaid for the hair ponies and barrettes. They sell them at Target-they come in a variety of colors and you could put barrettes in one drawer and then there would be room for other things. As for jewelry each girl has a jewelry box. HTH

Brenda