PDA

View Full Version : strategies for shopping children's consignment sales?

LucyG
08-19-2004, 01:22 PM
I've been to several of these sales, put on by local churches, with great results. But, I get to go to my first "pre-sale" this evening (actual sale starts tomorrow morning). I'm so excited! :-) Does anyone have tips or strategies for how to best shop these sales? For starters, I won't have DD with me, so I'll be able to move around much more. Also, I've heard of the idea of taking a laundry basket with me to hold my items. Anything else I should know to maximize my pre-sale shopping experience? Thanks!

MelissaTC
08-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Woo hoo on being able to go to the presale.

Here is my strategy:

1. Make a list of the items that your child needs. That way, you know the things that you NEED and can get those first.

2. Bring a laundry basket or even your stroller (if you have one with a large basket and a tray).

3. When you go into the sale, head to whatever section it is that you NEED items from. For example, I made a beeline directly to the 2T section.

4. Grab whatever you like. You should grab first, sort later.

5. I sit with my friend and we sort through everything. Is it in good condition? Is it worth the asking price? Weed out what is overpriced, stained, etc.. Try to keep into account what the item would cost if it was new.

6. HAVE FUN!

I live for these sales. I go to at least 4 a year and get a lot of clothing for my DS at these sales. You are getting a heads up on the crowd by shopping early. ENJOY!

mary b
08-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Lucy,

Melissa did a great job covering all my tips. I also LIVE for these sales and I am very excited you get to to go the pre-sale. (I am jealous too!!--my first one isn't until Sept. 11). The only other tip would be don't take anyone who will drag you down timewise or not have as much fun with it as you! At first, I always felt the need to tell all my friends and include everyone and now after several of them, I let people know, but I just go by myself.

have a great time and let us know some of your finds!!!
I am selling in my first one in a few weeks and get to do my first pre-sale too!!!
Mary

Mom to Noelle and Lindsey

iujen94
08-19-2004, 04:49 PM
I've heard of these sales, but never been...how do you find them?

kelly ann
08-19-2004, 05:06 PM
Jen-

Try this site:

http://home.comcast.net/~sbreaden/outsideGAsales.htm

mary b
08-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Jen,

Before I got on mailing lists, I would see signs or listings in the Garage Sale section of your local paper.

Typically, Mother of Twins, MOMS clubs, chuches and just Mothers' getting together wanting to make some money (in my area called Mother's Exchange). Once, you go to them, sign up for the mailing list and you won't have to do detective work again!

Once I started finding these, I would just call organizations and churches asking if they had the sales.
They are big in 'burbs with lots of kids.

Good luck!
Mary

LucyG
08-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Well, I'm back from the sale, and it was awesome!! Thanks so much for the helpful tips. I had a great time. :-) Though I've always found good things on the second day of these sales, it was amazing to see how much more there is at the presale. That especially seemed true for bigger toys (LT kitchens, outdoor toys, etc.). I took my laundry basket to carry my items, and I was glad I had it. It was unbelievable to see the kinds of luggage some women use to haul their loot! I saw full-size laundry hampers, strollers, carts on wheels, pop-up hampers, totebags, and much more. Truly an art!

So, since you asked, I'll share my finds. All of these are fall/winter clothes in great to excellent condition:

- two Old Navy print knit dresses
- one Old Navy floral corduroy dress
- corduroy jumper and matching shirt
- Buster Brown corduroy overalls and matching shirt, all embroidered with fall leaves, animals, etc. (very cute)
- two swing top/leggings outfits
- random pair of print leggings for around-the-house wear
- long-sleeved Gap onesie with embroidered cat (DD will love this.)
- pair of like-new leather Keds
- Little People school bus with four Little People, all in like-new condition

I got all of this for $36! I was very pleased. After I shop consignment sales, I always wonder why I bother to buy much of anything brand new. Sure, there will always be special outfits or occasions, but for what I got tonight, I could get maybe one or two outfits at Gymboree, and probably none that are significantly cuter. Just food for thought. Needless to say, there's no reason for me to go to COF this weekend! Happy consignment shopping, everyone! I'd love to hear what others get as the sales continue this fall!

mary b
08-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Wow,

Way to go Lucy!! You did great. IKWYM about not shopping elsewhere after you go to these places. You can get great deals. I can't wait for mine!!

Mary

jamierush
08-20-2004, 04:54 PM
This just made me excited about my upcomming 2 huge consignment sales. I am actually selling at one of them. Sounds like things went great!

MelissaTC
08-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Sounds like you did really well! I was thinking about you & your sale and even looked back into the pages to see if you posted.

Enjoy your loot! :)