PDA

View Full Version : has anyone heard of marimekko?

redgus
08-20-2004, 02:09 AM
they appear to be similar to hanna and naartjie, but sadly, their childrens section is very limited. here is an example.
diana-mom to abby(apr 2001) and emma (jan 2004)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/11394.jpg

Imperia
08-20-2004, 07:07 AM
Marimekkop has been around for ages and ages (since the 50's I think--they used to make mod women's clothing!) I believe tehy are a Finnish company? It was originally just a textile company I think, they had guest artists design fabric etc.They are pretty famous for making bold fabrics, especially florals. When I was a child I had Marimekko sheets hahaha I STILL remember them. They still sell linens as well as clothing I believe. Marimekko actually sort of started a design revolution--used to be a great company, not sure if they are still owned the the original owners, I swear I saw someone had bought them?

Imperia

rrosen
08-20-2004, 08:07 AM
I believe that Marimekko is now made by Sweet Potatoes. There things are cute. BuyBuyBaby sells quite a bit of it. DD has a bathing suit and a little swing top, bubble pants outfit this summer from them. I love the bathing suit because it is all cotton.

slknight
08-20-2004, 08:40 AM
Yep, as the PP said they're made by Sweet Potatoes now (according to the tag in DS's outfit). Their stuff is very cute. Our local boutique sells quite a bit of it.

You can usually find Merimekko fabric at Crate and Barrel outlets. Lots of bright, bold colors.

Here's a pic of DS in his Merimekko outfit this summer:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/11396.jpg

sugarsnappea
08-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Yep, they are a Finnish company. There is actually a huge Marimekko store in Helsinki. My SIL just got back from Finland and brought me some cute Marimekko napkins.

parkersmama
08-20-2004, 10:02 AM
My local boutique sells them and I believe that I sometimes see their clothes in the Garnet Hill catalog (??). I've only had one or two pieces but really liked them!

AdoptChina
08-20-2004, 10:03 AM
I think CWD carries some of their clothes as well. Im always afraid to order brands I havent gotten before b/c I can never figure out sizing

papal
08-20-2004, 10:07 AM
I think all volleyball Olympians should start wearing outfits like this! SO TOTALLY ADORABLE!

Phoebe
08-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Textiles is what I associate that name with. I think Crate and Barrell has some items made from their fabrics. Shower curtains and stuff like that.

Phoebe,
Susan 4/01
David 6/03

redgus
08-20-2004, 06:10 PM
good thing this board exists, i'm finding out all kinds of new things. my goodness, imperia, but you are a veritable font of knowledge when it comes to clothes/textiles.
diana-mom to abby(apr 2001) and emma (jan 2004)

kaismom
08-21-2004, 12:38 AM
Back in my youth (ahem, won't say exactly when!) I lived in Helsinki for 6 months and you couldn't avoid Marimekko :). Seriously though I do like their Sweet Potatoes stuff, though it can be a bit $$$, but good quality.