PDA

View Full Version : Would you splurge on this?

ddmarsh
08-23-2004, 10:41 AM
http://www.babybox.com/abcinsw.html

I am pondering whether it is a justifiable splurge or just foolish for one item and one season's wear.

miki
08-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Me, I think it's a rip-off. But I know how to knit and have knitted the sweaters my DD has. From the picture on the website, it looks like a very simple pattern. I could buy super fancy yarn and knit a little sweater for a fraction of the cost. Or if you don't have the time to make one, I'd buy a simple, one color sweater and put a letter patch on it for personalization.

brubeck
08-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Okay Wen, what do you charge? :)

heidi_timms
08-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Probably not. I bet that there will be a bunch of these this year since monogrammed things are in. The only hard part is that most stores only buy the popular letters-S, R, A, T, etc. I bet you can find something else fun that is monogrammed.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

ddmarsh
08-23-2004, 11:56 AM
I was wondering also Wen if you were interested ;).

Sigh, I suspected it was a rip off!

parkersmama
08-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Well, it's certainly adorable! But, I probably wouldn't splurge. It would be better to get it now in a bigger size that can be worn for two winters to justify the cost, IMO.

miki
08-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Hee-hee. Actually if I were not behind on my knitting, I would be happy to knit up something for you guys. But I have to finish a sweater for DH and another for DD since she outgrew the very nice one I did last year. But maybe I could do a knit cap or two? Those are pretty quick projects.

Saartje
08-23-2004, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't splurge on that, given the very simple pattern (no ribbing or cuffs, etc.) I, like Wen, would knit one myself instead.

That said... I might be willing to work with one mama to do one sweater more-or-less at cost. I've been wondering whether I could knit baby things and make enough money at it for it to be worthwhile as a WAHM business, and that might be a good way for me to see. PM me if you're interested. :)

Andrea S
08-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Janie and Jack sells sweaters that look just like the ones at babybox. I think the are around $75 I can not find them on the website, but I have seen an example in the store (they are special order) I fell in love with them last year, but never splurged on one. Let me know if you find them cheaper.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

pritchettzoo
08-23-2004, 08:22 PM
Just get Mrs. Weasley to knit you one! ;)

They're cute. I wonder if you could find a WAHM who knits who could make you one for less though. People in diaper land would have lots of leads for you; I have a couple if you're interested (no one I know personally so not pimping).

Anna

jec2
08-23-2004, 10:09 PM
I know one knitter here on the boards...Lori (momof3labs). You might try contacting her.

sntm
08-24-2004, 11:13 AM
If you are going to splurge, go for these:

https://secure.bises.org/prideandjoyonline/acatalog/index.html

Gorgeous! I'm a new knitter, and planning to make a similar one for Jack for next year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 14 months and counting

miki
08-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Be careful about getting a sweater that is a wool and silk mix for your toddlers and babies. My friend just sent me some wool/silk yarn and she warned me not to use it for DD's sweater because it felts very quickly. So if you child gets it wet or puts a sleeve in the mouth and the yarn is rubbed around, you'll get a little felted patch in your pretty sweater.

sntm
08-24-2004, 05:46 PM
I never thought about that. I just started a sweater for Jack in a wool/silk blend (it is dreamy soft!) It also has some nylon in it, I think. Oh well, too late now -- if he starts to felt it, I guess I can just felt the whole thing!
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Momof3Labs
08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Shannon, if it has silk and nylon in it, you can't felt the whole thing; it will just be ruined. And felting a 100% wool item causes it to shrink dramatically. Just something to think about before you get too far!

shishamo
08-24-2004, 06:14 PM
I would not, since I am a knitter and it is a very simple pattern. on the other hand, given the time it takes to knit a sweater (even a very easy pattern like this one), it is a very reasonable price. For example, if I were to charge for knitting a sweater for someone, cost of the yarn PLUS my labor (yarn: $20, plus let's say $5/hour for knitting, it will take me at least 20 hours so there's $100 right there) will make this sweater about $120, in my opinion. Which is why I only knit sweater for friends as a gift...

Is there anyone you know (grandmother, or close friend?) who you may be interested in doing this for you? You can also take up knitting, which really is a lot of fun.

Judegirl
08-24-2004, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't. And I'm not a knitter. But $80 for a sweater that (probably) only one child will wear, for one season??

Of course, I used to say similar things about buying Hannas... ;)

sntm
08-25-2004, 12:31 PM
I love the yarn, so I'll just take my chances and not let him wear it on wet days. He rarely chews on clothes so maybe we'll be lucky. I'll at least take a pic or two when he first wears it.
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

sweetbasil
08-25-2004, 01:51 PM
Yay- can't wait to see it, Shannon ;) Have fun knitting! :D

s7714
08-25-2004, 02:49 PM
>Just get Mrs. Weasley to knit you one! ;)

LOL! Glad I wasn't the only one that thought this!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

luvtoshop
08-25-2004, 05:05 PM
We received this sweater as a baby gift for Sofia and I LOVE IT! It is so cute! I'm a knitter and am happy that I don't have to knit this! : ) Ours is light pink with a hot pink S. SOO Cute!