PDA

View Full Version : Buying new striderites

lfp2n
08-23-2004, 06:03 PM
DD seems to be growing out of her first pair of Striderites, they've lasted 2 months. In general when you buy the next pair of shoes do you find you need to go up half a size, a whole size, how does it work.

Also I'm kind of surprised she grew out of them so fast, its not like she is growing very quickly, I always read that each shoe lasts about 4 months- I know, I know each baby is different. What got me thinking was that when she got measured they said she's a 5, so I bought 5's, but my sister told me that at the Striderite equivalent in England if you measure 5 they recommend you buy half a size up, so you get 5.5, or is this not recommended.

Don't worry I'm not planning to have DD out in clown boots, it just makes a difference to the style we pick, if they last 2 months here in VA its still hot so I will get more sandals, but 4 months takes me into a more wintry shoe.

TIA

Lucy DD 3/03

parkersmama
08-23-2004, 06:25 PM
I have found that when they measure right on a 5, the store generally recommends a 5 1/2 or a 6, depending on which shoe I go with. Also, they told me just the other day that babies can outgrow their shoes every 2-4 months so 2 months isn't necessarily too quickly (even though buying shoes every 2 months is horrible!!). I've always heard every 3 months as a rule of thumb.

Momof3Labs
08-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Sometimes we go up a half size, sometimes a whole size. Today Colin's one foot measured a little over a 7.5, so they recommended an 8 (we had been wearing 7's - oops!). I also got some velcro boots (a la Timberland) and they recommended an 8.5 since he'll wear those with heavier socks.

Our SR outlet had some great prices today - the boots were 19.99 so I bought two pairs to get us through the winter.

sweetbasil
08-23-2004, 09:28 PM
We bought the boys' sandals in late May, and by mid July, they were getting pretty tight on Charlie. The first weekend in August, we took him back in to SR, and he'd grown from a 5W to a 6XW. Oy. Kellen has always had small feet (he's in an 8!) and I've been able to buy for him almost anywhere- but Mr. chunky-feet needs the XW that is so hard to come by :( I was surprised at the quick turnaround, too, but couldn't bear to see little strap marks on the top of his cooshy feet pads!

erzzie
08-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Both the lady at the Stride Rite store and the guy at the Stride Rite Outlet recommended a half size larger than what my daughter measured...I ended up buying a whole size larger since I didn't see any difference in her ability to walk in them. 1 1/2 sizes larger than her measurement was definitely too big, and you could see it in how she walked. The old fashioned thumb's room in the front of the shoe is pretty accurate, IMO.

HTH!

pamela mom of 3
08-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Well i would say it depends also, sometimes my kids have jumped a full size but mostly it's a half and i too have heard 2-4mths for little ones and then later on usually it's about twice a year or so after they are about 3/4yrs but again this varies ;)

size wise, tricky..all shoes vary somewhat in sizing even within the same brand, you want a half inch in front of the longest toe so the actual size is of little importance rather it's the fit :)

~Pamela Mom to the Trio Of Trouble http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/angels/newangel.gif

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppstrollers

kthomp
08-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Ally is just about to grow out of her first pair of Stride Rites. I bought them about a little more than a month ago. Then, she was measuring a 4, but I got a 5. Now, she is a 5!

I'm so conflicted about shoe sizes. My grandmother took Ally shoe shopping for the fall and the lady practically made me get a size 5 1/2, yelling at me that the 6's just "didn't make sense because they were so big." Nasty woman! I don't want to spend $40 dollars for a shoe that will fit her for a month!

I still don't know if I'll take them back. Darn fast growing baby feet!