PDA

View Full Version : Hedgehog hooded sweater...

amp
08-24-2004, 03:57 PM
Did anyone buy the hedghog hooded sweater?

http://a116.g.akamai.net/7/116/2088/infinite/www.gymboree.com/media/images/products/20040810_LOAD/0811-0052_main_35f37.jpg

Is it totally impractical?

I am afraid I shouldn't have bought it. Almost didn't, but then worried I would kick myself later if I couldn't find his size. Figured I can take it back up to 6 mths later if I find that we really can't use it.

We already have a couple of hooded sweatshirt jackets, so I'm not sure this isn't just redundant and extravagant, since it cost more than a sweatshirt jacket.

What do you thing?

iluvmy2boys
08-24-2004, 04:14 PM
For us it was UNNECESSARY and not needed. Not to mention the 18-24months was too small when using it for layering (the whole point of it really!).

Holden has so many jackets (3 different weight ones that are new and a couple leftover from his brother) that I coudln't justify it and am not sure why I bought it in the first place! LOL

cuca_
08-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Andrea -

Well, I don't have a DS, I have a DD, so I did not buy the sweater, but loved it when I saw it at the store. I think it is absolutely adorable. I would not think it is impractical. When I saw it it seemed to be thicker than a sweatshirt jacket. The colors are pretty neutral, so I would think you'd get enough use out of it.

HTH

Carmen

amp
08-24-2004, 04:47 PM
It is thicker than a sweatshirt sweater. So here's another question for the knowledgeable...

If many people use/recommend a fleece coat for winter in the carseat, and this has a fleecy inside, sweater outside, would it suffice? My inclination is that it's not warm enough, but then again, plain fleece doesn't seem that warm when it's freezing and yet, that's what so many use in the carseat. I probably need to buy a really warm coat for outdoors, another lighter fleecy but warm one for the car. That may mean I have way too many coats and won't get enough use out of this. I just don't know. It's so darned cute!

nathansmom
08-24-2004, 05:34 PM
I wanted it but didn't buy it. It was much thicker than I thought it would be. Also the price was just too much for me to spend on something he'd wear not very often. However if its still there in his size when it goes below $20 I'm going to buy it.

mommieo5
08-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi I bought it the price was 22.40 with COF I think its really cute and I think we will use it as a jacket for fall There are so few things from Gymbo that are nice for boys this is a keeper I think

parkersmama
08-24-2004, 05:57 PM
I think it would be perfect for the carseat. You'd probably need a heavier coat to put on him when you get him out of the carseat. It's an adorable sweater and I love it! My only reservation would be if the hood will bother him in the carseat?

If you want another option, my recommendation would be a Marinac jacket from LE (if you think he can wear a 2T...I usually get jackets a little big so they last two years hopefully). They are fleece and no thicker than a regular fleece jacket but have a wind-proof layer in them that really makes them warm. I have one and it works GREAT! It really stops the wind which is often a big part of what makes us cold. Also, they don't have a hood, so that might be better for the carseat. http://tinyurl.com/6xrtq

amp
08-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Denise - Good things to consider. I will consider the Marinac jacket. I don't know if the hood will bother him. It's a good question. He had a hooded coat last year and I think it was an issue. On the other hand, he hated keeping hats on and basically wouldn't, so we used the hood a lot when going to and from the car in the cold/wind. So I don't know if I should plan for the hood. AND, I never did switch his coat or put on anything heavier last year. If we were going to be out for more than a few minutes going to and from the car, we bundled him in many layers.

What to do? What to do?

Thanks Denise and all for your input. At least Gymbo has a 6 mth return policy. I think I'll keep the tags on it and see if we actually find a use for it before I decide. No harm letting it sit in the closet for now.

wagner36
08-24-2004, 11:52 PM
But I think I must have this sweater! It is exactly what Charlie needs for fall.

I've stayed completely ignorant of everything Gymboree (not too hard when you have a boy), and I just went to their website under sweaters and outerwear and can't find this anywhere? Do I have to look under the line? What line is it?

Clearly, Andrea, I think you should keep it! Charlie wore a fleece jacket from hanna all of last winter. I did buy him some bibs and jacket (both 90's, of course, so the bibs will be much too long) at last year's dirt-cheap hanna sale (seriously, they originally totalled about $160, and I got them for $48 together - such a good deal). I have the zoo pals jacket for this winter too, but now I think he needs something less bright for fall (and something that he can just wear over a t-shirt occasionally) this sweater seems perfect! I wanted something thicker than a normal sweatshirt or sweater...

brigmaman
08-25-2004, 12:25 AM
Andrea, if nothing else, keep this sweater so I can live through you and Jacob! I'm so mad that this line doesn't go past 24 months. I actually bought the hedgehog hat for Brig because it's the only piece that will fit him!
We had a few lined sweaters from Gap last year that Brig wore in the transition season. Also, I very rarely put him in anything heavier than a fleece hooded jacket last winter. I couldn't stand trying to get his chubby little body into the carseat with a puffy coat. We usually just layered a bit. He never complained!!

amp
08-25-2004, 12:28 AM
Tara - It's actually part of the newborn line, which just now started having 18-24 mth stuff. I don't know if Charlie will fit in it or not. What size is he? Jake is wearing 18-24 mth and 2T stuff, so this fits ok.

Look under newborn....the line is called A Walk in the Woods.
HTH!

malie
08-25-2004, 02:57 PM
You mean this sweater :)

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL99/1690009/4621337/64680926.jpg

Obviously I think it is worth the splurge. In the end it's all about what works for you and yours. My idea of a splurge and someone elses idea I know are two different things. If you love the sweater and it fits in your budget then keep it. If you don't love it or it really doesn't fit in your budget then don't but really it's a cute sweater

rottiemom
08-25-2004, 03:55 PM
Practical or not, that sweater is absolutely adorable. The whole line is adorable! Granted your little one isn't going to care but if it makes you smile to see him in it then keep it.

Ugh, now I've got to try & be strong & not shop!

Nina