PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else creeped out by the Gymbo Bunny coat?

pritchettzoo
08-24-2004, 08:12 PM
The collar and cuffs are rabbit fur. Juxtaposed with the happy little bunnies hopping on the front on the coat, it's a bizarre before and after...
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/11864.jpg

I'm picturing wee PETA activists throwing red fingerpaint on their classmates :P

Anna

janinegillot
08-24-2004, 08:31 PM
It's REAL rabbit fur? That is really twisted.

karin4
08-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Well, eeewwwwww! Like Janine, it never occurred to me that it was really bunny fur either. Ewww again!

And ROFL at the wee PETA image!

papal
08-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Anna!! Are you sure it is REAL bunny fur??!! How sad! Unless they get shorn (is that the word?) every year like sheep.. anyway, that is a bit creepy.

pritchettzoo
08-24-2004, 10:34 PM
I read the tag at the store this weekend. It said "Rabbit Fur" (I think it was 70%?). And I'm pretty sure they don't just shave the bunnies and let them keep on hopping. ;)

Yes, shorn is the word!

Anna

Vajrastorm
08-25-2004, 01:10 AM
You're kidding. REAL fur?

I cannot work my mind around this.

Melanie
08-25-2004, 01:18 AM
Wow, I can't believe it. That's awful, hopping bunnies and then their fur on the collar. Maybe they are actually trying to run away?

I do remember that 'rabbit fur coats' were rather popular amongst the elementary school set when I was little...*gasp* I even had a "lucky rabbit's foot" hanging from my purse!! Sooo Sad...

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif
http://lilypie.com/baby3/011106/1/2/0/-8/.png

mum to chloe
08-25-2004, 09:47 AM
I am freaking out reading this!!!!
The only things I kindof wanted at COF were the WITH sweater dress, overalls and COAT!
Ended up not getting the dress because I couldn't find a nice top to go underneath it and the coat because the hemline just wasn't working for me.
I seriously would have pitched a fit if I'd come home with that thing to find out it had a fur collar -and I can just hear my Dh LHAO!
(got the overalls and they're really cute)

kransden
08-25-2004, 11:17 AM
That is a big "OOPS" isn't it! I didn't look at it very closely in the store. Maybe if it is 70%, it is like angora where they do shear the bunnies and not kill them.

I still have my rabbit coat from Jr. High. BTW

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

dules
08-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Overalls? Do you mean the one piece? Did I miss something? I loooove overalls and my DH calls DD "bunny" - but all I got at COF was the bunny hat and socks, to go with lavender leggings and a cream swing top.

I thought the coat was cute, but am now really glad I did not get it - poor bunnies!

Best,
Mary

AvasMama
08-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Here's the description from the website:

Asymmetrical Bunny Coat
The velveteen bunny is a book...and a coat! Plush cotton velveteen coat features two soft bunnies and an embroidered butterfly along the front placket and hem. Asymmetrical front flap closes with hidden snaps and a single button top. A fur lining at the neckline and cuffs is as soft as a bunny's cottontail!

That last line is pretty darn tasteless if it is real fur!

Robyn & Ava

mum to chloe
08-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Hi Mary,
I meant overalls! They aren't up on the web except a little pic (when you click onto newborn) under that crochet cardigan.
They're cream, fine whale, runching at the cuff, with little bunnies and lavender flowers embroidered all over.
They're cute but they might go back, I'd take a pic for you but I know it's going to take me ages to figure it out.
(we also got the tutu and that was a BIG winner!)
HTH, Sue :)

dules
08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
What size did you get? They're not showing up online at all, they are in the pic but not listed for sale.

If you are returning and have a 12-18 or 18-24, lmk!

Best,
Mary

mattiew
08-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Mary,
Just saw on the Gymboree website that the overalls would be in the stores on 8/25/04; looks like we will have to check in a few days. They look sooo cute!

Carrie

parkersmama
08-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Here's a pic of the overalls from the Gymbohaven site:

http://www.gymbohaven.com/cnewau14.jpg

parkersmama
08-25-2004, 02:20 PM
"That last line is pretty darn tasteless if it is real fur!"

I thought the same thing, Robyn!!

westchicagomom
08-26-2004, 10:04 PM
This has bugged me since it was posted so I stopped by a new Gymbo store that opened last Friday.

The tag said:

Fake Fur: 78% acrylic 22% polyester

And the only other things on the tag were the shell and lining - both 100% cotton IIRC.

Maybe the ones sold in the South are real rabbit fur? I hope not.

In any case, it is a really nice coat. If it came down to about 1/2 the original price, it might become the 2nd gymbo item we own.

pritchettzoo
08-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I could have read the tag wrong. My mom and I were looking at the coat, and she commented that it felt like a rabbit fur coat she had as a child. We read the tag and both were shocked that it said "Rabbit Fur." But, we *are* both insane. If it's fake (and I hope it is), it's a very good fake. It's soft as a bunny. :) She wanted to get Gracie the coat until she read the tag, so maybe if it goes on sale later on, it will come home with us too.

Anna

Tracey
08-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Better not wear those leather robeez with the daisy the cow stuff either :)