PDA

View Full Version : Sizing for first layette...

audreywindsor
08-25-2004, 05:37 AM
Quick question... What sizes do you suggest having immediately for when the baby comes home from the hospital. I saw another post where people listed what they considered necessities to have on hand right away, but they didn't say what sizes to buy them in. For instance, people suggest side snap shirts in the beginning, but should I buy the newborn size, or 0-3? All those onesies to have on hand-- what size? I've read that newborn size doesn't last long, but shouldn't you have a few? I'm so confused! Looking forward to reading your thoughts and advice!

jk3
08-25-2004, 08:40 AM
It really depends on the how big your baby is at birth. I had a beautiful 0-3 month outfit washed + ready to go for my DS's going home outfit but he was samll (5 pounds) so the outfit didn't fit until he was about 3 months old. He wore preemie clothes for about 6 weeks + then 0-3 until he was about 4 1/2 months old. I would suggest buying 2-3 newborn items and some 0-3. The best plan is only to prewash a few in each size + keep the receipts for the other items so you can return for larger sizes if need be. If you have a large baby, he/she might only wear 0-3 for a short amount of time. It's best to be prepared. We weren't so my DH + MIL had to run out to buy + wash some preemie clothes so my DS had something to wear when we left the hospital!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

amp
08-25-2004, 09:01 AM
My son was very large, so he easily wore 0-3 mth sizes upon coming home from the hospital. Unfortunately, he was only in these sizes for a couple of weeks, less than a month maybe, so we didn't need a LOT of clothes in that size. That is unusual though.

And trust me, no matter what you buy ahead of time, you'll be excited to go buy more clothes once the baby is here, so don't overbuy. Then you can buy the right size.

patriotlady
08-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Since my first baby is due October 18, I am also clueless about this. However, I have been reading up on it. The Baby Bargain book gives some good information (chapter 4, clothes/diapers, pages 160-165 and p. 204).

stillplayswithbarbies
08-25-2004, 11:21 AM
I think you really need to have different sizes onhand, but keep the receipt so you can take back what doesn't fit. Or wait until baby is here to shop.

With my first, I bought newborn and 0-3 and he weighed 9 lbs 8 oz and could not fit in the newborn and was out of the 0-3 in two weeks.

With my second, I stocked up on 3-6 sizes. She was 8 lb 6 oz and wore size 0-3 for almost 4 months.

If I get to do this again, I'll just wait until the baby is here and then shop online. Babies are all swaddled in blankets at first anyway so baby can just be in a diaper at home like they are in the hospital. I'll stop at WalMart on the way home from the hospital for a t-shirt. :)

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

iujen94
08-25-2004, 05:47 PM
I agree that it depends how big your baby is. DS was fairly large and went through his 0-3 month clothes in about a month and a half. Definitely try to restrain yourself from washing all of baby's clothes before he/she gets here so that you can exchange things he/she doesn't have a chance to wear. Also, depending on when your baby is born, you may not even need onesies -- DS was born in November and he never wore a single 0-3 month onesie - they were too hard to get on him, plus not warm enough - he LIVED in carter's sleep and plays day and night for MONTHS - great PJs but cute enough to wear out too.

iujen94
08-25-2004, 05:47 PM
I agree that it depends how big your baby is. DS was fairly large and went through his 0-3 month clothes in about a month and a half. Definitely try to restrain yourself from washing all of baby's clothes before he/she gets here so that you can exchange things he/she doesn't have a chance to wear. Also, depending on when your baby is born, you may not even need onesies -- DS was born in November and he never wore a single 0-3 month onesie - they were too hard to get on him, plus not warm enough - he LIVED in carter's sleep and plays day and night for MONTHS - great PJs but cute enough to wear out too.

iluvmy2boys
08-25-2004, 05:55 PM
For my 1st son we did not have ANY newborn/preemit outfits and he was pretty small. 5lbs 14oz, 17 1/2in and went down to 5lbs 4oz before he started gaining again.. we had been given a preemie outfit in a box of hand me downs and that's what he wore home as the outfit we got for him to come home in didn't fit til he was 4months old! He ended up in preemie clothes for about 6-8wks and then was in 0-3months until he was about 4.5 or 5months old. So he wore those little sizes for QUITE some time.

Now my 2nd son started out small (6lbs 1oz, 18.5in) but was only in preemie clothes for the first couple of weeks or so. And was in 3-6months by the time he was 2.5months old.

So, I'd have a couple of preemie/newborn outfits on hand (gymbo and gap stuff is wonderful!) and maybe a couple of 0-3months but I wouldn't go hog wild on washing and buying until you see how big your abyb is at birth and how fast they gain weight. My first was less then 13lbs at 4months with my 2nd son was 13+lbs at 2.5months and yet they both started out at roughly the same weight!

HTH

helaina
08-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Given that newborns spit up and have diaper leaks, how many clothes changes could a new parent expect per day in the first month or two?

iluvmy2boys
08-29-2004, 10:10 PM
this for my boys was completely different!

Ashton was my MAJOR spitter - I'm talking AT LEAST 5-6 outfit changes a day and usually there was at least 10 or so bib changes a day! (sometimes the same for me, depending on how projectile his spitup was!). We really never had many diaper leaks unless he was outgrowing a particular size and ready to move up.

Holden wasn't a spitter, so we usually only went through 2, or sometimes 3 outfits a day (he sweat a lot and since he was breastfed and next to me QUITE a bit LOL, I would change his outfits if they were damp from sweat). Again, diaper leaks weren't a big problem, unless he was outgrowing a size.

HTH

helaina
08-29-2004, 10:39 PM
>Ashton was my MAJOR spitter - I'm talking AT LEAST 5-6 outfit
>changes a day and usually there was at least 10 or so bib
>changes a day!

Thank you! When did you put the bib on Ashton? During feedings or all the time? I didn't know that newborns needed bibs but it sounds like a good idea. My bf nephew had acid reflux and spit up all the time so I'm wondering if I should expect the same (and prepare for it)?

iluvmy2boys
08-29-2004, 10:47 PM
I actually used a bib (or a folded up burp rag) from birth to prevent (or lessen) the amount of spit-up on his and my clothes. Usually during a feeding (with folded up burp rag) and the bib was put on afterwards during burping.

My ILs have 4 grandchildren (my boys being 2 of them) and out of all 4, only one did not have acid-reflux - that's the youngest (my little Holden). He was the only one that was exclusively breastfed with no formula. Coincidence? Probably, but something to think of! :) You can probably expect some acid-reflux since it DOES have a tendency to run in families. Do either you or your DH have reflux/heartburn issues? That's usually a sure-fire way of knowing (though yet again, both DH and I have issues and my youngest does NOT)

HoneymoonBaby
08-30-2004, 01:28 AM
My son was 7 lbs. 4 oz. at birth and he was in Gymbo preemie sizes for over a month. He just started fitting into his 0-3s at 2 months old, and they've got some room to grow. I'm convinced the hordes of people who told me to buy big were smoking crack, or had HUGE babies.

By the way, am I the only person who doesn't change outfits unless he throws up or gets poop on it? And when I say "throw up," I mean the rare voluminous, projectile, Exorcist-style spit-up, not the six times a day, couple of teaspoons full, ate just a little too much kind.

Seriously -- I only change him if he NEEDS to be changed. A little regurgitated milk is not good enough reason for me to go through the unpleasantness that is pulling onesies over Ian's screaming little face (he hates getting dressed/undressed, it seems to scare him). If the spit-up doesn't bother him, it's not bothering me, and it's breastmilk, so it doesn't stain . . . am I a lazy mommy for not going through six outfits a day????

tarahsolazy
08-30-2004, 01:51 AM
If you're lazy, so am I! If it doesn't signficantly soak through some real estate on his shirt, forget changing him. Same for my shirt, I just wipe off what wipes off. (Unless I'm going to work or leaving the house for more than a trip to the store or library) This summer, DS just hung out in a dipe, and you never need to change his skin, that surface is easy clean! Unlike Ian, though, Forrest loves me taking shirts off over his head, I always say "peek a boo" and now he laughs.

helaina
08-30-2004, 11:01 AM
>Do either you or your DH have reflux/heartburn issues? That's
>usually a sure-fire way of knowing (though yet again, both DH
>and I have issues and my youngest does NOT)

LOL, yes I have some serious reflux issues. They once landed me in the hospital x( (years before I was pregnant). My nephew who had reflux is actually on DH's side and he was purely breastfed, so with a family history on both sides I guess I should prepare for potential reflux with our baby. I'll buy some bibs ;-)

Thank you again,
Helaina