PDA

View Full Version : Did/does your child wear Robeez type shoes for short walks on a sidewalk? Please help me decide what to do about shoes!

ethansmom
08-25-2004, 08:38 AM
So, I'm still in a shoe quandry. DS has worn his Robeez outside for short walks with no problem. However, in gearing up for the first real shoe purchase, I noticed Preschoolian's site said not to do this since the soles don't offer enough protection. I saw another poster (Andrea?) mention not getting real shoes until they walk more than crawl since crawling can damage shoes. I think I'm going to get the next larger size of J&L, but would like to hold off on getting real shoes until it's necessary. However, I will be at an outlet in a couple of weeks... Aagghh, decisions!

Thanks!

jk3
08-25-2004, 08:44 AM
My DS started walking about 5 weeks ago + he's a terrific walker. He still wears Robeez inside + outdoors. However, when we go to the park he wears Preschoolians, I Can Stand (I think-the line before the I Can Walk!) since I don't want his Robeez to be completely trashed in the sandbox + dirt. For some reason, I have yet to purchase a sturdier pair. He walks really well in Robeez + Preschoolians so I don't want to rock the boat! He also has a larger pair of Robeez for the fall.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

gour0
08-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Bottom line? Jeff at Preschoolians is trying to sell shoes. IMO. You can bet Robeez isn't saying that! Same reason.

amp
08-25-2004, 08:59 AM
I voted yes, but sometimes I'm not sure it was a good thing. Not much protection or support.

And yes, we didn't buy him his 1st real shoes until he'd been walking more than crawling. The SR people noted he'd wreck the shoes will crawling and they might even come apart at the toe. We bought him a cheaper pair of sandals he wore when he needed more protection, but they weren't really designed for a 1st walker. Once his inclincation was to stand back up after a fall, we made the switch to real shoes with the Natural Motion System from SR.

friedmana1
08-25-2004, 12:07 PM
I have a pair of Bobux sandals that Leah is STILL wearing to the playground near our house. Mind you, the playground is not sandy and doesn not have rough terrain, but she still wears them without a problem. However, when we go out, I usually put her in "real shoes."

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

younhiekim
08-25-2004, 01:40 PM
To be honest, DD was wearing her Robeez almost continually until a couple of weeks ago (she's now 21 months and was walking since she was 10 mo). The reason why is b/c I had such an incredibly difficult time finding "real" shoes for her; when I brought her in a Stride Rite carrying store when she was 1, she was improperly sized (I was told she was a medium width when she is really an extra wide). It was such an ordeal getting shoes on her, w/ me jamming her wrong-sized Stride Rite onto her foot while she was (justifiably) kicking and screaming; I couldn't deal w/ it anymore and just stuck w/ Robeez. I had a pair of Gap crib shoes and Gap water shoes, but other than those pairs, she wore her Robeez everywhere. Preschoolians also didn't work for her, they were too narrow for her but were too loose around her ankles, and I would have just kept her in Robeez even today, but DH wanted her to have "real" shoes. We finally went to a Stride Rite store where she was properly sized, and now DD chooses her Stride Rites over her Robeez and Gap shoes.

Wow, this turned into a vent. Sorry for hijacking your post! Back to your original question: DD never had problems w/ her Robeez outside. Granted, I wouldn't let her walk through shattered glass, but they held up fairly well.

HTH!

s7714
08-25-2004, 02:45 PM
I always used to let DD walk around outside in her Robeez and Shoo Shoos until she started getting more daring and wanted to walk onto everyone's lawns and in not so clean (muddy/dirty) places. She also hates walking in wet Robeez after walking on wet grass or over a wet sidewalk, so she just always wears her firmer soled shoes whenever we go outside now.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

egoldber
08-25-2004, 04:50 PM
My DD STILL loves her Robeez and at times they are all she will wear. She weear them for long walks, but mainly inside and on smooth terrain. If we are going to the park or if it is wet outside, I do insist on sturdier shoes though.

ethansmom
08-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Thanks, everyone! I thought Jeff was probably trying to sell shoes, but it makes me feel better to know others have stuck w/the soft shoes. Also, thanks to those who made the point about getting the shoes wet - I'm sure DS wouldn't like that!

samwyatt
08-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes, another reason I think if Jeff at preschoolians started being bombarded with folkds asking for LWC shoes in sizes 19 & 20, I think they would eventually give in ... the price of the WMS shoes just jumps up sooo much for me they make them unreasonable...

So, start emailing Jeff and asking for LWC in bigger sizes!!

Amber

smkinc
08-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Like many others DS wore his Robeez for many months. In fact at 14 months I bought his first pair of 'real' SR's because I thought his foot needed more protection and he wore them exactly 6 times before he out grew them. :( ! He wore mostly sandals this summer when going to the park, etc, but still primarily his soft shoes (J&L). Unlike others, he really didn't care if they got wet, and even though they got muddy at times, both the Robeez and J&L's have washed well in our front loader. I got a pair of little sprout SR's at the Nordstrom anniversary sale and they are now his favorite shoes over the soft-soled.

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03

Niki_n_Abby
08-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Just jumping in to say the my dd is 22 mos old and still only wears Robeez for any occasion. Inside, outside, playground, our gravel road, wet, dry, doesn't matter. They always wash back to nearly new and still look great after all the wear and tear they have taken this summer(bought the new ones in the spring). I love Robeez as she never trips over them and doesn't have the funny waddle walk so many babies in "real" shoes have. My ped says to keep her in them for as long as possible so that is my plan.

Niki