PDA

View Full Version : Have I ruined DS for "real" clothes?

divabell
08-29-2004, 01:45 PM
DS and I don't go out that much, so he usually wears onesies or rompers around the house, and for the summer I've put a pair of knit shorts over his onesie if we're going somewhere. I do like how easy it is to dress him this way! Well, a couple weeks ago it was kind of cool in the morning so I put him in a pair of jeans... and he freaked out. He couldn't bend over like he was used to, and it made him scream. So I switched to knit pants. Then today, I had this cute overalls outfit I wanted him to wear to church, and he freaked out again. He was picking at the bib part and crying his head off. So those came off, too, and I switched him into a romper. :( Will this last forever? I have so many cute things for the fall but I'm afraid he's going to hate most of them.

nigele
08-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Lori,

Tom is the same way. Last year as the cool weather approached, he pitched a fit anytime I tried to put long pants or shirts on him. It took a while but he finally let me. When this summer rolled around and I tried to put sandals on him, he hated them. I chalk it up to him being a sensitive kid. I have started to buy warm weather clothes and he won't let me put them on him to try them out - he screams his head off!

The only advice I can give is to keep trying, a little at a time so he gets used to heavier clothing. Good luck!

kcimato
08-30-2004, 03:19 PM
I know how your DS feels. Here in VA we go back to school next week and now I have to wear real clothes. I haven't had a pair of long pants on all summer!!! He'll probably get used to them when he has to wear them everyday.

kcimato
08-30-2004, 03:21 PM
I know how your DS feels. Here in VA we go back to school next week and now I have to wear real clothes. I haven't had a pair of long pants on all summer!!! He'll probably get used to them when he has to wear them everyday.

amp
08-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I don't think it will last. My DS was learning crawl, then to cruise furniture, climb stairs, walk, etc, in the winter and spring and he hated being in jeans that were too binding and wouldn't let him bend or climb. Now that he's a confident walker, as long as they don't trip him up, he's fine. But I try to stick to either knit pants or jeans that are not too thick or with lots of pockets (which add density). I like soft, thinner jeans like I can find at Carters, Gap, Old Navy etc. that aren't too binding. And my DS does ok with overalls now too. You might have to ease into the more covering/binding clothes though after a summer of easy, loose fitting stuff.

lisams
08-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Sounds like my DD!! What helped was I would put her in the pants and then take her outside or doing something that was a total distraction. She forgot about the pants being on, and then was okay after playing in them for an hour or so. We had to work our way up to the jeans, starting with comfy knit pants first for a few days!!

Socks, shoes and snug jammies were also issues for us, but she is fine with those now!

Good luck, I'm sure he'll get used to them.
Lisa