PDA

View Full Version : Ok - are these too christmassy??? and what would you pair with them?

iluvmy2boys
09-28-2004, 12:30 PM
http://a1389.g.akamai.net/7/1389/2573/20040902200438/www1.talbots.com/images/489/large/H190489l.jpg

these are the snowman sweaters from Talbots ... I LOVE them and it woudl totally fit in with my snowman theme that I have going on for the winter/christmas season. I want these but are they too christmassy? Would they be okay to wear before and after Christmas? What would YOU pair with them? Black, khaki or jeans? I was thinking of jeans but is that too casual? Not to mention the fact I can't find jeans to fit Ashton worth a darn! He needs a 6 for his belly, but really needs a 5 for the length. Maybe I should try 5 husky pants? He's got such a pudge around the middle (all of the crap he eats since he wont' eat barely). He doesn't look fat by any means but he's thick around the middle.

Also, if I paired it with black pants, what kinda shoes? Black, dressy shoes? What about khakis?

heidis2girls
09-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Jenn, I don't think they look christmassy, just wintery! They'd be fine to wear before and after Christmas. I think it looks good with the khaki and also the jeans. Personally I think the black pants would be kind of dark, but it depends on how dressy you want them to look.

I'm not sure about shoes. I have girls so I'm not sure what shoes are out there for boys! With khakis I'd probably go with a brown shoe. You could even do brown or tan Merrells or Lands End all weather mocs. I really don't have a clue about the black shoes, sorry!

Good luck, the sweater is adorable!

ETA: After looking at the picture again, I really like the sweater with the khakis. I think they look great with the color of the sweater. You could also put it with jeans if you want to dress it down more.

reyn74
09-28-2004, 12:42 PM
I must own these!!! I was thinking they'd be really expensive, after seeing how much the J & J sweaters are, but that seems downright reasonable to me (uh-oh, I'm a shopaholic, lol). Now do I get 2 or 3? ;)

Anyhow, I like the khaki for anything holiday-ish, and jeans for every day.

-Sarah and boys (Mr. Orion is one month old now, and just fitting into 3-6m, the chunk!)

bluej
09-28-2004, 12:43 PM
I LOVE those sweaters! So cute! I think they are wintery and not so much Christmasy, but can pass as Christmas sweaters KWIM? I would probably pair them with khakis.

As far as jeans go (which would look good too), have you tried the elastic waist ones at Gap Kids?

babymama
09-28-2004, 12:46 PM
I love that sweater. Great colors! I would pair it with jeans or chocolate color cords, even olive cords would work. Khaki would be alright too, especially a darker khaki. I think black would be ok, but I don't see much black in the sweater, so it wouldn't be my first choice. If you go for jheans, you could pair with suede mocs like the ones at LL Bean and Gap(I think?). Dressier shoes would be like the ecco boots at hanna.

Good luck! You've got great taste.
Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

mamaturk
09-28-2004, 01:09 PM
THOSE SWEATERS ARE SO.... CUTE!!!!

iluvmy2boys
09-28-2004, 01:33 PM
As far as jeans - the pull on jeans in the toddler section actually fit Ashton pretty well (the 5yrs size). They fit in the waist pretty well and they are a PERFECT length. Long, but not TOO long KWIM?

My biggest thing with khakis - is my kids never seem comfortable in them. Which is why I was thinking cords - which IME, usually fit and feel more like jeans.

I want them to be more wintery and not christmas, because well, i want them to wear them after Christmas, ya know?

steph2003
09-28-2004, 01:38 PM
I think the sweaters are perfect for all winter long! Snowmens are for winter not just Christmas :) And I think if you look really close at the pics - the khakis appear to me to be cords? or am I just hallucinating? I think soft khaki cords would look great.

ETA - ok I am hallucinating either that the glare on the screen made them look like cords to me...anyway, I still think cords would look good.

iluvmy2boys
09-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Ya know, I'm thinking - jeans will merrel jungle moccs would be SO cute!! Our stride rite carries the merrels this year, so that would work out (not having to buy shoes online is always a plus!!)

We're a really casual family - in fact, the first time I'd seen my husband in a suit was this past summer when we went to his cousin's wedding. It was only the 2nd time he'd seen me in a dress, and we've been married for 6yrs! (We got married at a JoP and I was 6months pregnant so I wore nice jeans and a sweater and DH wore nice jeans and a polo shirt! LOL)

iluvmy2boys
09-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Hmmm.. chocolate cords? You think so? That would be cool cause Holden already has a pair of chocolate cords from Hanna, and then I could just get Ashton a matching pair.

Hmmm LOL thinking

iluvmy2boys
09-28-2004, 01:52 PM
I've decided I think to just pair them with jeans, We're a casual family (see my post to another PP) and the boys are comfortable in their jeans. Our family get togethers in the holiday are casual too, so the most dressy I would have them is in khakis, but khakis never seem to be very comfortable for Ashton, and I can never find any for Holden that fit, WITHOUT crotch snaps (for some reason, pants with crotch snaps come undone on him all the time).

I'm gonna return their current pair of dress shoes (Sperrys, never worn and still in the box) for merrel jungle moccs for each kid. This way it's a more casual outfit, all the way around.

And yes, you should get *3* sweaters, so all of your boys can match!!! :) Too bad they didn't make the snowman print in a romper, that'd be cute too!

AdoptChina
09-28-2004, 02:12 PM
I was thinking of getting this sweater for Connor....I think it can last all winter, not just Christmas.
Also, MiniBoden has cords that are all elastic waist, if that helps you at all :)

slknight
09-28-2004, 03:35 PM
I was just looking at these online last night. I LOVE this sweater and think I'm going to get it for DS. It's really not too Christmas-sy. Snowmen are good all winter - even until April around here. LOL. Last year I bought DS the Gymbo red sweater with the polar bear on it. Also not too Christmas-sy; just winter-ry. The only problem is that I'm afraid it's still going to fit this year because it was huge on him last year. I really don't think I can justify two red and white sweaters.

Joshuasmommy
09-28-2004, 04:44 PM
I am getting that sweater for Joshua for Christmas but I think it is good for all winter. I plan on putting it with either khaki cords or blue jeans.

LoveMyBabyBeans
09-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Jenn, those sweaters are so cute. I actually vote for khaki cords or even better, if you could find green cords to match the green in the stripes on the sweater, that would be really cute.

Melanie
09-28-2004, 05:04 PM
OMG! MUST HAVE THAT SWEATER! I LOVE IT! I'd put Ds in it throughout winter...with jeans/cords/khakis. I'd prob. have Ds wear his brown boots or his casual naturinos with it, unless I already had dressier shoes.

nigele
09-28-2004, 05:14 PM
I want it, too! I would definitely let him wear it throughout the winter. Jenn, is it on their website? I can't seem to find it!

iluvmy2boys
09-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Yes it was on their website :)

There ya go! :)
http://tinyurl.com/53pbx

nigele
09-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Thank you! :-)

That price is great! Tom can probably wear the 24 month size - what size are you getting for Holden?? And the matching fleece pieces are adorable, too! Too bad I already bought a royal blue parka.

iluvmy2boys
09-28-2004, 05:31 PM
I'm probably going to buy Holden a 3 ... so that it'll be somewhat bigger on him. I don't like sweaters to be "fitted" and prefer room underneath to be able to layer.

matching fleece pieces? What am *I* missing?!

nigele
09-28-2004, 05:34 PM
!!!

http://tinyurl.com/4f3mw

iluvmy2boys
09-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Those are SOOOO cute!!!

If I was to get anything, it'd be the hats, and I doubt I will since Ashotn hates hats and I don't want it for one, and not the other.

they are very cute though! Wouldn't go with holden's winter coat either! LOL

macassi
09-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Those sweaters are so cute!! I am off to the website to check it out.

As for khakis, have you tried the Lands End Climber pants? My boys love them because they still come with an elastic waist, so they are easy up and down. They are a bit more casual than dressy khakis, but they were great and like I said, my boys are comfy in them which is the biggest hurdle for me. I think they also make climber cords.

iluvmy2boys
09-28-2004, 05:56 PM
I might have to try these.

Do they make the elasticized ankles for bigger boys or is that just the toddler sizes? I'm thinking I'd buy Ashton the 6s and then they'd be too long, but the elastic would keep them from falling down over his feet, right? Would that look stupid on a 5.5yo?

macassi
09-28-2004, 06:28 PM
They do make the elasticized ankles up to a size 7. I keep my almost 4 year old in the elasticized ankles for exactly the reason you mentioned, but I put my 6 year old in the non-elasticized ankles. I think they look better without the elasticized ankles.

I also have a pair of hannas, that they don't make anymore, but it rolled on the bottom and was great for sizing that way. I can't find any old code for it.

(edited to replace cold with code.... we don't normally look for old colds around here!)

ErinMC
09-28-2004, 11:06 PM
I LOVE that sweater! I have to get one for DS. And no, not too Christmas-y. Perfect for all winter. I like it best with the khakis, although the jeans are cute too.

Thanks for sharing - off to Talbots tomorrow! :-)