PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you not do Christmas outfits?

LucyG
09-28-2004, 02:18 PM
We celebrate Christmas, but I'm not feeling the need to get DD a special holiday outfit. Last year, she had a green and white gingham dress with a lace collar that she wore from November til February. I guess it was kind of Christmasy, but I didn't buy it for that purpose. Anyone else, or am I alone in this?

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
19 months and counting!

ktdid74
09-28-2004, 02:24 PM
We don't have outfits either. I bought the HA zippers and long johns for the xmas card pic (and for when we open gifts so they look cute in pictures) but that's it. We aren't church goers and don't go to parties with the kids. I may do LL Bean sweaters and jeans for the kids so we can have holiday pics done at Picture People or wherever. That way I know they'll still wear the sweaters a lot.

HHCs Mom
09-28-2004, 02:28 PM
This will be DS's first Christmas and I am planning on getting him an outfit that is Christmasy but doesn't have anything Christmas-themed on it, if that makes sense. I want him to be able to wear it longer than just the month of December. He outgrows things so quickly that I'd like to at least get a little use out of it! I don't wear Christmas sweaters for the same reason --- very little use out of them.

Kim
~~ Harrison 04/06/04

malie
09-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Well lets see last year my MIL got Luke a Santa suit so that was his Christmas outfit (not for church though). I think I got two wintered outfits that he didn't wear until Christmas (one Christmas eve and the other on Christmas day) but he did wear them all winter after that so there was nothing really "Christmas" about them.

My mother use to buy a new dress or outfit from my sisters and I on Christmas but really they just were a nice winter dress or pants suit that we wear to church on Sundays after that (and then one on Easter that would be our Spring dress)so we always had something new on Christmas but that didn't mean it was only for Christmas. So that's actually what I'll do with Luke (and actually I already have this years. Last year I got a pair of cords, a turtle neck and a button down vest that has little bears as the buttons and bears on the pocket of the vest..all for $2.00 after Christmas) at the time I figured for $2.00 even if it didn't fit him at Christmas it was worth it). The pants and the shirt will work all winter long and the is nothing that screams Christmas about the vest either). So now that I've shared more than you want to know, I guess my answer is yes and no. I buy an outfit that is new on Christmas but I certainly plan on it being useful for more than just one day

karin4
09-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Well, I sorta do, but mostly not. ;-)

I'd actually love to, but we just wouldn't have anywhere to wear anything really dressy-- we don't attend church, and don't go to any fancy parties. We do wear nicer everyday clothes when we have our family get-togethers, but that's it. Well, that's mostly it-- here's where the "sorta" comes in!

I do get the little kids Xmas hanna zippers/long johns (I buy them on sale after christmas the year before-- and they wear them all winter, not just around Xmas), and I will probably get Eliza a smocked dress with some embroidered holiday theme. But I won't pay much for something that probably gets worn only a couple times between Thanksgiving and New Years, so what I get kind of depends on what I find in the consignment shops. But that's not usually too hard-- since these dresses do get worn so little, they're generally in fantastic condition, and they're usually priced pretty reasonably because the store owners know they must move them fairly quickly.

How's that for a long answer to a simple question?!

babymama
09-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Have no plans for a special Christmas outfit. We spend christmas mostly in sweats and comfy clothes (trying to stay warm at my mom's drafty house).

On xmas day last year, Santiago wore a playsuit - nothing special, just what we would put on him any other day.

We wear dressier clothes for church at midnight the night before, but it's usually soooo cold that it's usually something like a sweater and nice slacks for both DH and I...last year we didn't go to mass at all on christmas. I was "excused" from going by my mom who said it was too cold to have my 1 month old son out. No arguments from me.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

jubilee
09-29-2004, 04:16 AM
No special Christmas outfit here. I have DS wear something nice but it's something he'd wear on other days I want him to look real cute- like church.

crayonblue
09-29-2004, 09:49 AM
Last year DD was 3 weeks old on Christmas and my MIL bought her a red velvet dress with a big fur collar. Poor thing looked like she stepped out of Frederick's of Hollywood. Even my MIL said, "Well, that's not what I expected that to look like!" So, this year, I think I'll get a Christmas outfit, one that I pick out!