PDA

View Full Version : How to get good deals at Gap?

nicoleflynn
09-30-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi all, could somebody outline how Gap sales work? I had a friend who used to shop at Gap for her baby's clothes and she used to tell me that she buys her DDs clothes and when there is a sale, she gets price adjustment and it is supposed to be pretty cheap that way. I got an email today that says Gap fall sale started (not sure online or in store). The cashier told me that they have 10 day price adjustment policy. If it is only 10 days, does stuff get a lot cheaper in just 10 days? What is the best strategy to shop at Gap?

TIA. -Nicole.

mlewis
09-30-2004, 10:58 AM
I was at a Baby Gap yesterday and they had lots of stuff for 40% off. I don't know about how long their sales run. The store was full of people - usually there are only 1-2 customers in there at a time.

nitaghei
09-30-2004, 01:16 PM
I haven't figured that out systematically - though I've found lots of good deals there over the years. BTW, I was in the store yesterday, and the sales person there told me they are expecting a lot more stuff next week. She suggested I check early next week for more mark-downs. I really need a vest for DS, and a couple sets of jammies, but I'm not willing to pay full price.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Emmas Mom
09-30-2004, 01:30 PM
I worked for the Gap back in the day & I'm pretty sure (just from viewing their stuff) that the sales still work the same way. It's basically seasonal. When you have stuff out on the floor & the next season comes in, they start marking down the prior seasons stuff. Eventually it would all be marked down to get rid of the old inventory. They actually would keep marking stuff down until it hit $3.99. Some would go to the outlet stores too. I remember getting a $58 dress for $3.99 plus my employee discount. That was a good day! lol Of course, most of the cute stuff goes full price or with the first markdown. It's a good thing I don't work for them anymore with all the cute baby clothes.

indigo
09-30-2004, 06:52 PM
I haven't been at this very long, DD is only 3 months old, but I bought stuff at the beginning of September for full price (with a gift card) and then noticed two weeks later that they had gone on sale. These seemed like fall stuff to me (not last season), long-sleeved onesies, fleece sleepers and a tweed dress. I was past the timeframe for price adjustments so I just bought the items that were on sale and plan to return the full-price items.

Kind of a hassle but the savings were worth it - one sleeper went from 29.50 to 19.99, onesies from 12.50 down to 6.99 or 5.99. I also got 10% off my online order (code HOWDOYOU) with a flyer that came in my original full-price shipment so that took care of shipping.

So - long story short - they seem to put stuff on sale fairly quickly and still have a good selection on the sale racks. I'd buy whatever you think is cutest and hang on to the receipts in case they go on sale, or else trawl the sale racks on a regular basis.

jamsmu
09-30-2004, 08:10 PM
If its beyond the price adjustment period, you can always return it, then turn around and buy it again. JUST HOLD ON TO YOUR RECEIPT!!!! I have been so screwed by that company--they have a terrible return policy when you don't have your receipt.

Mommaof2
10-01-2004, 02:47 AM
I have TOTALLY scored big at Baby Gap. They just opened it up in my area about 6 months ago. I just asked them which nights they do their markdowns. In my area it's on a Tues. Plus they have a call list and will actually call when they are doing markdowns! They mall has a great play area so on Wed AM that's where my day starts :)

They do 14 day on my receipts if the price goes down. I have a GAP card (bought just for this purpose) you don't have to have receipts for returns if you bought it on the card. You can return at any time, no limit like Gymboree. I literally just returned $100 of summer stuff my kids didn't end up wearing.

I also buy and return if it goes on sale even lower. Like their hot pink poncho. It started at $50. I bought it at $34, then it dropped to $26 (bought it again and returned the other). Plus used a 15% off total purchase card they sent me since I have their credit card. So in the end I got it for $22.

Since I have the card they send me $10 off coupons with each bill where I spend $200. I've been getting it even if I return that much stuff.

My friends can't believe the buying, storing, returning I do but we've just been so lucky and we end up going to a play date their like every 3 weeks anyway. It's kind of fun and I LOVE the deals.

My biggest problem is I buy too much. But it's $3.97 for a polo style onsie for my son. Or $13 for a great a-line dress for my daughter. But I'm really good about returning if we don't end up wearing it.

Mommaof2
10-01-2004, 02:56 AM
Forgot to add, if you're trying to buy something on sale and they do not have your size. They call and order it for you. You pay in store and it's shipped to your home. I'm pretty sure it has to be a Baby Gap since they carry the full line.

nicoleflynn
10-01-2004, 03:08 AM
Great tips. Thanks a lot!

Emmas Mom
10-01-2004, 12:57 PM
They have "mini seasons" within each season, to put it one way. So stuff usually does go on sale fairly quickly.

And their price adjustment policy has definitely gotten worse over the years so holding onto your full price receipts is definitely a good idea. :)