PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! unsure about LLBean parka

junior
10-02-2004, 11:06 PM
I just received my LL bean parka for DS who is now 13 months old. We live in new york city and mostly out on the street all day so need something warm. The LL bean toddler parka is nice but it really does not seem warm enough. What do mom's of toddlers do for a winter coat if going to be outside a lot?? Down coats?? snowsuit/bunting/bibs???
HELP!!!!!
Thanks in advance.

Suzanica
10-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi...I just bought 3 of these parkas/jacket for my 3 y/o DD and Im trying to figre out the same thing! Funny thing is...we live in NYC too!! Small world.
Suzi

naomi01
10-03-2004, 12:43 AM
I got mine too... I am less than impressed with the color (royal) but I think the warmth will be fine because of the polartec and much safer for carseat use. In NYC maybe you don't need to worry about the carseat problem? Anyway, I have lived in NYC pre-kids and I suspect they will be plenty warm enough, although you may want something for their legs (everything inside was too warm!).

Naomi
DS 12/02/02

shishamo
10-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Hi,

I just moved from NYC. I used to get Gap's warmest jacket (down jakcet) for the coldest days, and if you are in the stroller, you add down jacket + bundle me-type stroller bag + windshield/raincover. That should do it even on the coldest (temp. in teens) days. For the playground, again I would have the down jacket for the coldest days, even if you are out only an hour or so.
Which LL bean parka did you get? You can always layer a ton underneath if the jacket is big enough.

junior
10-03-2004, 10:16 PM
I bought the toddler warm up parka. The website doesnt say anything about polartec material.....just says it has nylon lining with polyester filling. Still not sure if it is warm enough. Any thoughts????

egoldber
10-03-2004, 11:34 PM
I have this jacket. It is lined with polyester fleece. Its our "cold weather" coat down here in VA, but it may not be warm enough by itself for long stints outside in colder and windier NYC. Did you get the matching bib pants? If so, thats probably warm enough, with maybe a fleece blanket or Bundle Me added on the coldest days.

HTH,

zoethebeagle
10-04-2004, 03:47 AM
I'm not sure which L.L.Bean parka you got but unless it is the one with thinsulate in it, I doubt it will be warm enough. I would suggest that Katahdin Parka which is lined with Thinsulate but not too bulky. We bought the older version of that coat last year (Snowfield Parka) and it was terrific (we lived in Westchester, NY).

It's more expensive but totally worth the money. I like that it's a longer coat with an elastic waistband. Plus, I just tried it on my 3 year old (it's a 2T) and we'll be able to get another season out of it.

sugarsnappea
10-04-2004, 09:30 AM
I ordered the warm-up parka too, and am sending it back. It is too lightweight for Michigan winters. I ordered the snowfield parka with matching bibs instead. This is the one lined with Thinsulate. I haven't received it yet, but have high hopes. It is available in a 12 mos size on the ll bean sale page. :)

junior
10-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input. I think I will return the one I got and try the thinsulate parka. We walk everywhere here in the city so looks like I need something warmer....might even try the bibs. I appreciate everyone's advice.