PDA

View Full Version : Confused - what size to buy my DS's winter clothing?

713abc
10-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Maybe some of you could give me your valuable advice on this...

My DS is 16 months, just over 21 lbs and around 31". The 18-24 month stuff is so big on him now, but I want to buy clothing that will last through the entire winter. I'm mainly shopping at Baby Gap, Old Navy, Gymboree. Not sure if these lines run big or small.

Do you guys generally buy things that are too big so you have lots of room to grow? Or do you buy a combination, some that fit well now and some with room to grow?

I don't mind shirts that are big on him, but it bugs me when pants are way too big...do you just roll them up a few times at the bottom?

TIA!

Mom to Max, 05/28/03

iluvmy2boys
10-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Your son is about the same size as my youngest son was last year at this time (my son was 1.5lbs bigger tho) and he wore mainly 18-24months on top and 12-18months on the bottom. In onepiece rompers, he wore 18-24months.

He (my son) could get away with tops being a little big, but not pants. IF they were too big, they would (and do) fall down w/o the help of a belt. That's why I'm LOVING that he's in the 2yrs size @ gap this fall, they have the adjustable waist! LOL

Good luck!

ppshah
10-03-2004, 01:49 PM
DS is a little bit bigger than Max- 24 lbs and 33". I've buying 2T tops and 18-24 month pants. That's for Talbot's kids, Janie and Jack and Gymboree. Children's Place runs a bit bigger and I got him pajamas in 18-24 month and they are still quite big and should last the entire winter. THe top from gymboree looks huge on him but the 18-24 month top fit him now- so hopefully he will grow into it.

I agree with the PP I would get 18-24 tops and 12-18 months bottom.

Argghhh... I hate the whole guessing the size thing!

sadie427
10-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I've been doing what the PP's said also, for my son who's a little younger and shorter but about the same weight. 12-18 mo pants, 18-24 mo or even 2T tops. But since your son is taller, you may be able to do the 18-24 mo bottoms as well. The pants I role once at the waistband now or cuff them at the bottom. Also, it's not my favorite look, but we have some sweatpants w/ cuffs, and that solves the length problem as they don't hang down over his feet even if they are big. I would hate to have him grow out of his fall/winter clothes in the middle of winter, and winter is long where we live.

ett
10-04-2004, 11:23 PM
My DS is about the size of your DS. I've been stocking up on his fall/winter clothes for a while now and have been buying mostly 18-24 and 2T tops. The sleeves are a bit long, but I just roll them up. His pants are more of a problem, since he is long and lean, some of his pants are too big at the waist. So as a result, I've recently had to go out and buy him some 12-18 month pants. When buying ahead, I usually go for larger sizes just in case and then as the season approaches and I see that he may need some smaller sizes, I just pick up a couple of pieces then. That way, I'm not stuck with too many things that are too small for him in case he has some kind of growth spurt. I'd say 18-24 month tops and some 12-18 month pants are the way to go now. You can always get some 18-24 month pants later on in if the 12-18 months are starting to get too small.