PDA

View Full Version : Buying ahead --- how do you know what size?

HHCs Mom
11-11-2004, 04:23 PM
I have been looking at clothes for DS online. Many places are having sales and I am interested in buying ahead for next fall/winter. How on earth do you know what size to buy?

DS is long and skinny at 19 1/2 lbs and 28 - 28 1/2" long at 7 months (50th %ile for weight, 97th%ile for height). I know many kids grow and grow and then slow down. He has been growing like a weed, but how do I know he won't stop? How do you predict what size your child will wear next year?

Thanks!

Kim
~Harrison~ 04.06.04

LucyG
11-11-2004, 04:32 PM
To be perfectly honest, I've really cut back on buying ahead because it stresses me out. I end up worrying about whether or not the clothes will fit, whether or not I'll have time to return them if they don't fit, etc. And, though I've had good luck with buying ahead so far, I've found that I often get to a particular season and don't need to buy anything new then, because I've bought ahead so much! I don't like that aspect of it.

With all of that said, I printed out a copy of the CDC growth charts, and I plot my DD's height and weight. She's stayed pretty much on the same growth curve, so I look ahead to guage her size for the future when I do buy ahead. I still do buy ahead if it's something I love and the price is right. But, I just don't do it as much as I used to.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
20 months and counting!

HHCs Mom
11-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Yeah, just the thought of it stresses me out. I'd be upset if I had spent a bunch of money buying ahead and then it didn't fit during the correct season. And, while I might like something now, who's to say that I'll still love it next year or that something cuter won't come out next year?!?! I'm so fickle! :-)

Kim
~Harrison~ 04.06.04

AvasMama
11-11-2004, 05:22 PM
I do buy ahead -- a lot, actually -- but *only* items that are on sale and that I am reasonably sure I could sell if they don't fit. I buy lots of Janie & Jack and Hanna ahead for that reason, but wouldn't buy ahead from, say, Target or Old Navy (even though I like their clothes, and do buy them for the current season, I just wouldn't feel as confident about the resale potential).

Robyn & Ava

Momof3Labs
11-11-2004, 10:47 PM
I follow the CDC growth charts, too, though that backfired a little when Colin went from 35th for weight at one year to 80th for weight at 2 years! But I bought mostly based on height, so I wasn't too far off.

I only buy very good brands (Hanna, Lands End, etc.) at excellent prices. This year, I had way, way too many winter clothes and easily sold them on the swap board, recouping most or all of what I spent.

HHCs Mom
11-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Good idea on buying ahead only for the more expensive brands. Those are the ones you hate paying full price for anyway! :-) I had been looking at Baby Gap online and thought about buying ahead, but they put their stuff on sale so quickly that it wouldn't be that beneficial to buy stuff now for next year. Now, Hanna and J&J would be something I'd buy on sale for next year. They're just too expensive to pay full price, IMO.

Thanks a bunch ladies!

Kim
~Harrison~ 04.06.04

jennifer_r
11-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Janie & Jack has an excellent return policy - you can return the clothes (with tags attached and receipt ofcourse) indefinitely. This is the only store that I feel comfortable buying that far ahead because if it doesn't fit, I can always return it. You should check other stores' return policies and then maybe that could help you decide what clothes you want to buy ahead.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

jennifer_r
11-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Forgot to mention Talbot's Kids. They also have the same excellent return policy as J&J and their stuff is adorable. But their clothes run really small - according to a SA they use different sizing. A SA could probably help you with the sizing.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

vikivoly
11-13-2004, 06:33 PM
I only buy ahead if the deal is really great. This is something I learned from experience. Last winter I bought a ton of Gymboree on clearance and expected DD to fit into it this year, wrong! She went from a chubby baby to a slim toddler. She was wearing a 12-18 month at the end of last winter, so I bought 2T and 3's, which are huge on her. She's currently in an 18-24 and I have to take in most of her pants at the waist. I'm hoping she'll fit into the clothes next winter.