PDA

View Full Version : Help! Opinion about shoes for photographs!

Misha412
11-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Help! I'm taking Gavin for his one year/holiday pictures this afternoon and am bringing two outfits:

1) The Hanna black velvet overalls with the plaid cuffs and
2) The BabyGap patchwork plaid pants and the J&J cream handknit sweater.

I bought him black monkstrap shoes (so cute!) to wear with the overalls and he has new navy SRs that he can wear with the pants.
HOWEVER, I just love,love his little bare feet....do you think it would look completely stupid if he had these wintery outfits on with naked tootsies?

Of note, this is a children's portrait photographer, so it's nice and warm in her studio....

Michele
Mommy to Gavin, 12/4/03

mum to chloe
11-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi,
To be totally honest, I'd put shoes on with the winter outfits.
If you'll look back on the photos with a "Damn those shoes, I wish I could see my little guys feet!" kindof attitude, and feel upset about it, go shoeless....would it be really weird to have the overalls on with a short sleeve top underneath, and bare feet?
Or could you do both outfits with matching shoes, and another really casual shoot in a onesie or shortalls or tshirt and diaper or something with bare limbs as opposed to just bare feet?
I don't know if that helps at all...sorry.
Sue :)
p.s. The outfits sound great!

steph2003
11-16-2004, 01:20 PM
What does the Hanna catalog/online pair with the black velvet overalls for shoes? I can't remember right now.

I tend to agree with the pp that winter outfits look best with some sort of feet covered but I too love baby feet - but some outfits look better with bare feet then others! Can you snap some photos of some with shoes & then others w/o shoes? It might sound goofy but maybe you can snap some at home with a digital camera (do a little modeling shoot!) - do a trial run to see how you like the way it looks w/shoes & then w/o? I'm more of a visual person so I actually have to see something in black & white/color. If you post pics I'm sure you'll get good feedback here :)

jayali
11-16-2004, 01:47 PM
So funny to see your post today. I had Matthew's 6 month portrait done today and yesterday in a panic went out and bought cute white stride rites because family members insisted he have shoes on. When I got to the studio the photographer said "no shoes". Now that said I must say his outfit was not really winter. His Christmas pictures will be winter and the same photographer will be doing those also and she said OK to the shoes for that shoot. She said that she hates to see the sole of shoes in pictures, which is what you do see when they are sitting down. I guess I agree.

Now all that said, I have not seen the proofs. We won't get those for a week, but all of her work with little ones was beautiful and toes were exposed!

Now I am sure that this doesn't help since it is contradictory to pps but I thought it funny you should be having the opposite dilemna to mine!

Good luck, I am sure they will be beautiful no matter what you chose!

starrynight
11-16-2004, 04:06 PM
One of my very favorite photos of my ds at this age is of him in just overalls and bare feet. We also have one of him in the full outfit, shirt, overalls and shoes and although it is cute it's not the same as my "hillbilly" photo as dh calls it LOL.

With the gap pants and J&J sweater I would keep his shoes on but I think with the overalls it will look cuter barefoot. It's all about how you feel though kwim?

aliceinwonderland
11-16-2004, 05:45 PM
what are black monkstrap shoes??

I have the same overalls for DS, and am having the same dilemma. I think I'll have him go barefeet...

Are you just putting him in a white shirt/onesie for underneath the overalls??
Many thanks.

Misha412
11-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Monkstraps are oxfords, but instead of laces, they have a strap that goes across the whole top and buckle on the side. They're very hip looking and I wish I could find the same pair in my size!

Unfortunately, he didn't even put them on because we did the overall outfit last and he was ultra-cranky by then. I knew putting shoes back on him would just have sent him over the edge! So we just let him go barefoot and he looked so sweet...no regrets!

I put a long sleeved white t-shirt on him; not a onesie type as I didn't like the way the onesie shoulder/neck openings looked with the overall straps...too much going on, IYKWIM?

You will be really pleased with the way the overalls & white t-shirt look in photos...it's a really simple, unfussy look and the baby's face is the focus rather than the outfit.

I'm sure your DS will look adorable in it as well!

Michele
Mommy to Gavin, 12/4/03

PS: Thanks to all for your help! He did wear shoes with the plaid pant outfit, so I kind of covered all the bases!

steph2003
11-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Michele -
where did you find monkstrap shoes? I'd be interested in taking a look & getting some for my DS.

Misha412
11-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Oddly enough, I found them at my WalMart for $8! I had torn apart the shoe dept at Nordstrom weekly since October and never saw what I wanted. I happened to be at WalMart over the weekend and these were on display. They were exactly what I was looking for, so I grabbed them! They're not the best for walking, but for show they are absolutely adorable!

Michele
Mommy to Gavin, 12/4/03

steph2003
11-18-2004, 01:04 PM
thanks - off to Wally World then!

I don't want them for walking either - just need something to cover his feet for Christmas events...need something dressier then Robeez or Shoo Shoos which we do have for everyday stuff.