PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question about sizes.

Saartje
11-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Does the T in 2T, 3T, etc. mean "toddler"?

Also, what's the difference between 2T and 24 months? I get the impression 2T is the next size up.

Is toddler sizing the same as infants' (ie, meant to fit until the child is the age listed)?

pritchettzoo
11-19-2004, 09:21 PM
>Does the T in 2T, 3T, etc. mean "toddler"?

Yep.

>Also, what's the difference between 2T and 24 months? I get
>the impression 2T is the next size up.

In some clothing brands, 24 means 18-24 months. But others have a 24 months that is nearly the same height-wise as a 2T but with more room in the bottom area for diapers. I think more manufacturers are making 2T roomier because most kids aren't out of diapers until closer to 3 anymore.

>Is toddler sizing the same as infants' (ie, meant to fit
>until the child is the age listed)?

Generally, yes. 2T is for 2 year olds, 3T for 3s... Kids just don't grow as fast as they get older. Of course, it's still a generalization and if your child is in the 5th percentile or 95th percentile, they might not work as well, KWIM?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)

egoldber
11-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Often times 2T is a little slimmer than 24 months and also a little longer.

You'll find that there's not much difference in the girth of pants in 2t, 3T and 4T, but each size is a fair bit longer than the next size. Thats because they really start to lean out and get longer as they move from toddler to preschooler.

Momof3Labs
11-19-2004, 09:48 PM
>Is toddler sizing the same as infants' (ie, meant to fit
>until the child is the age listed)?

Since Isaac is a tall one, he'll probably be like Colin - wearing 3T's by his second birthday! So if you are buying ahead, watch those growth charts!

Saartje
11-19-2004, 10:25 PM
That I am! I was just wondering what they mean by the sizes, so I can figure out how they'll apply to my boy. (Especially since he's already in 12-18 month sizes.)

Thanks for your answers, everyone.

Melanie
11-20-2004, 03:02 AM
I noticed at Gap, sometimes the 24 months would have a more elasticized waist than the 2T and stretched further than the waist of the 2T.

Ds just turned three and is wearing 2T pants perfectly, though he is 25% for height. I have in him 3T tops for longevity.

tadylkat
11-20-2004, 11:44 AM
It's hard to play the guessing game with clothing for babies/toddlers. My dd was always "short" at her well checks, 35%, and followed the age sizes pretty well. Lately though, she seems to be getting much bigger and it happened suddenly. I bought her 24 month clothing for the summer (she will be one 12/30) and I am wondering if I bought too small since she is nearly ready for 24 month in some clothing already and we have a good 6 months until summer starts. ugh! I have heard that babies "level out" to the real rate at which they will grow somewhere around one year. A child can be very, very big for the first 10 months and then level out to average or vice versa. I think this may have happened with my dd. If you are looking to buy ahead, The Gap has an excellent return policy. There is no expiration date on returns. I always liked their clothing for my ds when he was a toddler. Nordstrom also has a great return policy.... they will take back anything even if you lose the receipt -- the price paid is on the sticker they attach when you purchase it. I noticed Bloomingdales starting doing this last year too.
HTH