PDA

View Full Version : Does Gymboree have a RESTOCKING FEE?

toomanystrollers
12-18-2004, 12:18 PM
So went w/my Mom this morning to get a price adjustment on the Grown w/Love stuff she just bought - and a "lovely" saleswoman gave us a hard time!!

First, she tells me she needs the clothes (which were in the car - we just had the receipt), then she tells us there maybe a restocking fee - WTH? The outfits were purchased in a store not online. I could understand an online restocking fee. Then she tells us that technically she is supposed to hold the outfits for 24hrs. b/c this is not a price adjustment - the 25% off is a promotion. I could have grab the exact same outfits right off the rack again - the pieces were all there. But then she does us a "HUGE FAVOR" and adjusts the receipt - just this "ONCE". And the store is completely empty. We hit it just as the opened this morning.

I was ready to return everything and tell to stuff the gymbucks you know where }(

SOOOOOOO, is there a restocking fee? I'm ready to give customer service a call.

Thanks!

dules
12-18-2004, 12:46 PM
I've never had a restocking fee, not even when returning online orders to the store.

I'd call and complain. Did you get her name?

Best,
Mary

ktdid74
12-18-2004, 01:39 PM
How bizarre! I've returned plenty of stuff (both from the store and online merchandise) and I've never had a restocking fee. Was she new or something?

new_mommy25
12-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Gross! I've never heard of that either. Sounds like a Gymbo police wannabe.

toomanystrollers
12-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Thanks ladies,
The Gymbo she-devil is not new. She's been there at least a year. She's has that snob thing going I guess??? She's a sweetie when you're buying arm fulls, but returns - FORGET IT!

And I did call customer service to verify the restocking fee - there isn't one!!! And the district manager will be calling me next week about the fine customer service we received this morning.

R2sweetboys
12-18-2004, 03:20 PM
First of all, WHY would there be a restocking fee when they aren't restocking anything?!!! Am I missing something here? It really sounds like she's lying to scare you away from doing more price adjustments to save the store a little money. What she's doing in reality is causing the store to lose money by scaring you away! It makes me so mad when sales people give me an attitude when I return something, like the store's going to go under because of it. I'd definitely let management know about it so they can address it with her.
~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

urbanmama
12-18-2004, 04:05 PM
I am so glad you called customer service!! That is ridiculous!

I'm sure that she never imagined that you would call CS to see if she was telling the truth. Maybe she'll learn her lesson from this and stop spouting off lies next time!

SteelerFan
12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
I don't know about the restocking fee, but the 24 hour window was exactly what CS told me when I asked about a PA after I bought some things before the last RHDS--she told me that 'technically' since it was a promotion I could not just walk in and get one-- I could leave the items at the store and return to buy them 24 hours later at the lower price--what?!?! I actually laughed--I guess that's how they get around all of the PA with the big sales and stuff....interesting! Like someone would drive all the way to Gymbo, return the items, place the same items on hold, drive home and drive back again the next day for a few dollars--I think that's why they have that policy--it's more hassle than anything and people don't want to do it!

Amy
2 DDs
DS-8/9/04

vsmommy123
12-20-2004, 01:58 PM
I read a bit about Gymbo's SA job description and how it seems to be a commission/quota deal (average sales per hour). I had similar situations when I worked in retail for ADULT clothing & shoes. Also the same info piece said that returns are counted against the SA making the transaction, not the orignal SA as it should be. This would make sense, since I have encountered weird behavior by SAs and read about plenty on these boards and on the gymbohaven.com forums (where I read this info). From my days in retail, I used to hear my co-workers make up all kinds of stories to make or save a sale, so I'm not surpised to hear that a Gymbo SA made up the "restocking" story to prevent her from being in the negative. If you've never worked in retail, this may explain plenty to you. If you want to read the thread I read on gymbohaven.com's forums the subject line was (I think) "for your consideration please" or something like that. My 2 cents, I am going to be REALLY watching Gymbo and only buying when things are on sale, and actually a deal that can't get much better. I just get too frustrated by them otherwise. And I'm sure I'm going to waste some of my gymbucks because I'm not getting sucked into their "promos" only to see what I just "bought" w/ Gymbucks go on sale the day after the gymbuck promo. Just watch and see! Good luck all!

ett
12-20-2004, 02:52 PM
It is understandable that since Gymbo's SA work on commission that they would be unhappy with returns since it goes against their quota. However, it is another thing to be snitchy to customers returning stuff and to actually make up stuff to prevent them from returning. If I found out that an SA made up some kind of story to prevent me from returning something, I probably would not buy from her in the future. I don't see how lying to customers would help their sales quota. IMO, that's just poor work ethics on their part.

Kimberly H
12-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Gymbo SA's don't receive commission - I wish! We do get "atta boys" and sometimes there are contests for higher pieces per transaction and higher sales $, like most sales companies. Also, returns aren't held against anyone - original SA or the one accepting the return. It does hurt the store's numbers for that day.

HTH!

Melanie
12-21-2004, 05:56 PM
I've never been told that, but they flat out REFUSE price adjustements for "promotions" at mine, so when possible, I hold it at a different store the night before then return it. So at least they think they are losing a sale over it.

deliasmommy
12-23-2004, 01:20 AM
NO commission. NO quotas, basically, no nothing except your hourly rate, occasional employee appreciation days, and the discount off of the FULL price. They must have outdated (a few years?) information.

The 24 hour hold on all returns is true, and is company policy. Not always enforced, but true nonetheless. Ditto the price adjustment - promotional prices are not adjustable. Can be done for customer service, but would have to be rung up as a return and then a repurchase.

Of course, there's no reason for bad service, or attitude, especially if it's a long-term problem!

miki
12-23-2004, 09:45 AM
So what's a "promotion" and what is a regular plain old sale?

Melanie
12-23-2004, 02:06 PM
What I was told was that they will not price adjust for a temporary sale (ie a "promotion" in their words, so like when they do a Labor Day sale and stuff is just marked down for 3 days), but will when the permanent price reductions start.

Makes NO sense to me!! I try not to by muich from them because of their policies. Though I have found some friendly women at our local stores, at least.

firsttimemommy
12-23-2004, 03:35 PM
I hate to say that the DM customer service is no better than the stores - at least in my area.

I have spoken with 2 different District Managers over the past two years about continued customer service issues in several stores and have been promised discount coupons for my troubles (I did not complain to get a coupon though and even told the DM's no both times, but they both insisted) - and I have NEVER received a coupon - from either manager!!!!!

Pathetic. It's not that difficult to mail a coupon.

Ronda
Proud Mommy to JL 1/03 and JC 4/04

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you" ~ Winnie the Pooh