PDA

View Full Version : Update: FURIOUS with Gymboree - rant and advice needed

LucyG
12-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Update: The Gymboree district manager called me last week in response to a complaint I emailed in late December (regarding the below incident). She was extremely apologetic for the hassle, did not try to make excuses for the SA's at all, and took all the blame for their lack of training. She also mailed me a letter of apology, and a 25% of card good for one-time use at Gymbo. So, while I'm still mad about what happened, I do appreciate her contact and attempt to right the situation. Just wanted to report back on what happened!

I'm so mad I can't see straight. Here's the short version of the fiasco . . .

Someone gave DD the tiger love denim pocket pants as a gift yesterday, but in the wrong size. I took them to the store today (Gymboree 25 miles away) to exchange them, and they did not have the size I needed. So, two sales associates told me that they could give me a merchandise credit for the pants, and then I could order them online (which did have the correct size). They could not do Save the Sale because the pants have been marked down. So, all seemed well. I gave them the pants, they gave me the card, and I left. I came home, got online, and tried to order. The Gymboree website would not accept the card number. So, I called back to the store, and one of the SA's who I had helped me told me that, "Oh yeah, you can't use that card online afterall." She offered to call corporate to see if they could do anything. I just wanted the pants in the correct size!! Ugh. So, after 30 min., someone from corporate calls me and apologizes, but says they cannot honor the merchandise credit card I have online or over the phone. He offers me free shipping if I want to buy the pants with my regular Visa. Since I want the pants, I do so. After I ask him if he can do free shipping or anything to compensate me for the trouble, he agrees.

So, here I am out $14.00 of my own money, which is not a huge sum, but it's still my money. And, maybe I should have read the back of the merchandise credit card while standing in the store, to see that it was not good online. But, two SA's promised me it would work online! The entire situation is maddening. DH thinks I should cancel my order. I'm tempted to do that, but I want the pants. Should I contact the district manager and complain? Cancel my order? Forget about it, move on, and swear off Gymboree?

Ooooooooh. I am seething. Advice?

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
21 months and counting!

AbbieF
12-19-2004, 10:03 PM
I don't have any real advice for you although I completely sympathize with you. I would talk to a district manager and I know you want the pants but if you could live w/o them I would cancel the order. Can someone explain to us how Gymboree is structured? The more of these issues I read about it almosts sounds like Gymboree stores are franchises and operate independently. Quite frankly this is garbage and I guess they figure that by the time someone is fed up dealing with them their children will no longer fit into their clothes. Why are you (we) continually put in the position that unless you want to spend the extra time and tell your problem over and over you won't get any resolution. Good Luck! I hope someone has some advice they can offer and please keep us posted.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

urbanmama
12-19-2004, 10:44 PM
No, Gymboree stores are not independently owned. All stores *should* be following the same rules and all sales associates *should* know what is going on. Obviously, that is NOT the case. It gets VERY frustrating to deal with. I'm getting pretty fed up with them too. (I'm sick of their constant sales and gimmicks.) The only reason that I can deal with it is that I know the rules better than the salespeople and will "explain" things to them if they tell me something that is incorrect. Crazy but true!

LucyG
12-20-2004, 08:10 AM
I filled out the automated customer service comment form on the Gymboree website, and described what happened. I honestly don't expect to hear anything from them, but at least I feel somewhat better for having vented (even if to some random person). Does Gymboree CS usually respond?

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
21 months and counting!

stella
12-20-2004, 09:24 AM
I feel you rpain and without rehashing the entire saga, I will tell you that I had a similar maddening experience with MAJOR differences in policy depending on whether you talked to the online folks or the store people.

And I, too, drove many miles - about 100 miles to get there - to get to a Gymboree to return something and they did not have my size or tell me of save the sale. And they don't take exchanges/returns by mail. A major pain.

I think their CS is the pits. I read of great SA who will call you and tell you of markdowns, sales, etc., and actually treat you like a special customer, but I read far more
about rudeness to moms of boys and a general lack of helpfulness.

I am sick of their games as well and I rarely ever shop there - and don't have much incentive to any more.

So sorry about your bad experience.