PDA

View Full Version : any sewers here?

stacyleigh
12-28-2004, 12:17 AM
i just got a new sewing machine and desperately need help! :) it took me about an hour to thread the thing tonight. can anyone recommend a good site for VERY beginner sewers? one with an emphisis on sewing for kids/babies would be great too! tia! stacy

any book recs would be appreciated too!

Samraelanelevi
12-28-2004, 12:43 AM
Well first off where did you buy it? I bought mine at Joann Fabrics and you cannot beat the CS. THey also offer classes-the first being a get to know your machine.

Also what brand did you buy? My machine a Viking came with a video that showed how it worked and it's features.

As for books and sites I would just search how to sew and see what pops up. You could also go to the local Fabric store and ask the ladies there if they have any sewing books or any classes offered. Our Community Ed program in town offers a beginning sewing class too-I never took it but heard it was great for learning how to use a pattern.

GL

AbbieF
12-28-2004, 06:20 AM
there also is another forum here called "crafts for baby" that I stumbled upon the other day and I bet someone there could send you in the right direction.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

AngelaS
12-28-2004, 06:26 AM
I agree that going back to where you got it is a GREAT resource! Most locally owned places offer you a class to learn how to use it. :D Happy sewing!

MariFP
12-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Did it come with a manual? I love manuals and I read everything I buy (even the Tylenol box). It should show you how to thread, all the different feautures and some tips. If you can find a class it would be great.
As for books, I found the Sewing for Dummies to be very helpful. It is my fav book for the basic. It is great for translating all the terms and names, how to read a pattern, the different kind of fabrics, different foots and how to use them, tips and how to sew the basics. All with pictures.
Good luck and have fun!

C99
12-28-2004, 11:44 AM
I took a class for beginning sewers through a local mom & pop fabric store. It was a great class, and it was so nice to be able to *ask* someone who had been sewing for 20+ years questions rather than looking them up in a book.

californiagirl
12-28-2004, 02:16 PM
I like www.patternreview.com for all sorts of information. It can be interesting to navigate, but they have a section just for baby patterns, and lots of people to help out newbies.

Don't despair -- it does get easier with practice!

stacyleigh
12-29-2004, 12:13 AM
thanks for all the advice. my dh got the machine for me at sears (it is a kenmore). it did come with a video and a "beginner" project that i am starting. i guess i will see how that goes and then look locally for some help it i need it.

thanks for the patternreview site. i bookmarked it!! :)