PDA

View Full Version : REVISED!!:selling on ebay: ANY RECS ON A GOOD/CHEAP POSTAL SCALE

JMS
12-28-2004, 08:41 PM
REVISED/UPDATED:
Thanks everyone for all your great advice.. I really appreciate it. This whole selling on ebay thing is a big daunting, but I know once I sell a few items it will all seem like old hat.
I think it would be a good idea generally to have a decent (but not too expensive) scale. Anyone with recommendations on brands or places to purchase??? THANKS AGAIN!! Jacquelyn

Hi!
I'm finally going to start selling some stuff on ebay and maybe the swap as well. I have a few questions about shipping methods. I received a baby outfit that I bought on ebay that was packaged in a large white envelope that seemed to be rip-resistant. Is that what other people use/recommend (it was the only clothing item I ever purchased from ebay)??? My second question involves shipping charges. I only plan to sell to US bidders (overseas seems like a PITA), and I'd like to state a flat shipping cost in the description that is close to accurate. I don't want to gouge anyone but I also don't want to have to take the item to the post office first to determine shipping costs. I will only be shipping USPS and I will mostly be selling one outfit/item as a time.

Thanks for your help.. If anyone has any other great advice, I'd really appreciate that as well. Please excuse any typo/spelling errors, I can't even begin to tell you how sleep deprived I am right now :)

JuJuE
12-28-2004, 08:47 PM
I have found some basic large envelopes at Walmart that I have used for shipping. I also usually put the clothing items inside a ziplock baggie just to make sure that weather can't affect the item.
As far as the shipping goes, I bought a cheap food scale at Walmart and it gives me a good item of the weight and I can go to the USPS.com to get a rate. I tend to select a zip code that is on the other coast from me to make sure I am taken care of, but really it is a small difference.
Good luck!

RJPO
12-28-2004, 11:44 PM
I've sold on eBay, and I find my postal scale invaluable. I tend to charge only my actual shipping cost, though, so I need to know what each individual package weighs. I agree that charging a flat rate is a lot more convenient.

The envelopes you're describing sound like Tyvek envelopes, which are really good if you're going to ship items first class, since they keep the weight of the overall package low. If you're going to ship Priority Mail instead (which can be nice, since the USPS provides shipping boxes/envelopes free of charge and even delivers them to your door!), you might consider a flat shipping fee of around $3.85 - $4.00. Most baby items aren't going to weigh more than a pound and will probably ship Priority anywhere in the U.S. for $3.85 (unless you're going to sell items in lots, which will obviously be heavier).

I know that as a buyer, I like being given the option of first class shipping. I'm much more likely to buy something if the shipping is, say, $2.50 or so, although I would certainly pay $3.85 - $4.00 for Priority if the item is something I really want. I stay away from auctions where the seller is charging five or six dollars for shipping, which seems outrageous for a tiny little piece of clothing.

Sorry to be long-winded -- I'm a bit of an eBay-holic!

Rachel

Mary India born 6/21/98
James Jolyon due 3/23/05

jubilee
12-29-2004, 03:22 AM
I have sold items on ebay and swap and have gotten really ripped off on underestimating on shipping. In fact I've even LOST money because I underestimated shipping on certain items. For that reason, I recommend getting a shipping scale or taking everything to the post office before you list it. The general rules are
1. if it is UNDER one pound- you can ship it anywhere in the US for $3.85 by priority mail.
2. Priority mail services always will give you free supplies, like free boxes or free tyvek envelopes. Go to http://ebaysupplies.usps.com/ to order free supplies or go to the www.usps.com website and you'll find a link under priority mail to get free supplies. You have to get quanity of like 10 or 25 items, but they are FREE, so who cares if you get more than you want.
3. If you know the weight of the item, ebay has a shipping calculator that will determine how much the person pays based on your zip code and their zip code. You can also add in a "service fee" for your supplies and time- but I don't encourage that because if you charge too much for shipping then nobody will buy your item.
4. If you are going to ship parcel post through the post office, it takes longer for the buyer to get it but it is cheaper. However, you have to supply the box or envelope- and that eats into your profit. And don't use old boxes from the liquor store- the post office won't let you because of their rules.
5. Heavy items ship cheaper using FedEx Ground or DHL or UPS. Shop their sites for a shipping quote once you know how much your item weighes.
6. If your item weighes even one ounce more than a pound, you will be charged for the next higher pound. You'll be charged for 2# if your item is 1# 1oz. (This is where I lost a bunch of money!) So weigh your shipping supplies too- the tissue paper, peanuts, box, plus the item to figure your shipping weight. Again, it really helps if you have a shipping scale at home. In 10 transactions I lost over $20- which would have covered the cost of a scale!

A good site to wander through is the USPS website- they have free supplies, shipping calculators, etc. If I think of other issues, I'll add to this. But hopefully this helps some,

AngelaS
12-29-2004, 07:23 AM
When I first started selling, I shipped everything Priority for $4.30 (I ALWAYS use Delivery Confirmation). Actually, online Pririty w/DC only costs $3.85 since the DC is free online. The free Priority envelopes are a great thing!

Now I buy my poly mailers from eBay. I get them from a seller named corrijen I think. She mails them out fast and has a wide variety of sizes.

Shipping thru eBay/PayPal is SO easy! I love that I can weigh my package at home, punch the right numbers in online, pay for it with PayPal and then stick the package in my mailbox for the mailman to pick up! And you can choose to send things First class (under 13 oz) or Parcel post or Priority! And you can now insure packages thru the site too!

I agree too, that anything over 3lbs is cheaper to send via FedEx or UPS.

pritchettzoo
12-30-2004, 09:48 PM
I use a digital kitchen scale. For envelopes, I just put a large bowl and "zero" the scale out and put the envelope in the bowl. Boxes I just balance on the scale or balance on top of the zero-ed-out bowl. You have to divide by 16 to figure out the pounds and ounces, but it's at least a multi-task item. I got mine from Bed, Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon.

Be careful with flat shipping costs--the cost will vary based on what zones the item has to ship across. You can say that it weighs X lbs and ounces and will ship from Zone #X (see USPS website), and the bidder can check the price.

If you are shipping USPS Priority Mail, you can get all your envelopes, boxes, and even tape through the PO for free. I think you can order the stuff online for a minimal shipping charge or pick it up at your PO. But don't turn a priority mail envelope inside-out to send First Class, even if you are recycling the envelope. They are really cracking down on it and will charge the recipient the difference in First Class and Priority Mail shipping. There's a new flat rate box that's a pretty good size for $7.70 and an envelope that will fit 5-6 yards of fabric folded up (I got it from an ebay seller and I was impressed!) for $3.95.

Shipping through the USPS website is so easy--I love being able to print the label out right there and pay for it and everything. The only downside is that you can't do it for First Class. With online Priority Mail shipping, you get delivery confirmation for free; I highly recommend you use that every time. If you use First Class, it's 13 cents extra I think? But then you have to go to the PO.

HTH and good luck!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

lctippins
12-31-2004, 09:48 AM
I got a very good quality scale on eBay for $19.99! It has a 50 lb capacity, which will come in handy if I ever start selling things other than clothes. Just search for "postal scale" and a ton will come up. I found a wide variety of prices.

I also ship Priority mail so I can use "Click and Ship" on usps.com. It's super convenient, and you can schedule free pickups online too. So no more trips to the post office with DD who just hates that place!

Lisa - Mom to Kendall 6/6/03

jubilee
01-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Just make sure that the scale you order weighs in pounds and ounces. Some on Ebay only weigh in ounces!!

AngelaS
01-01-2005, 07:50 AM
Mine was about $20 on eBay and it only weighs ounces. On the website to print a shipping label, I just put in the number of ounces (like 42) and it automatically does the math for me. :D