PDA

View Full Version : difference between 24 mo and 2T sizes?

sdbc
12-29-2004, 09:29 AM
I'm buying ahead for my daughter and am baffled by the sizing... Can someone tell me the difference between 24 months and 2T? For that matter, what is the diff between 3 and 3T?

Thanks!

Sue

jbrandy
12-29-2004, 09:46 AM
I was told that the difference between 24 mon and 2T is that the 2T's are longer in the sleeves and length of shirts. I have found this to be true. In pants I would assume they are also a bit longer. The difference between the 3T and 3 size is that the T gives them more room for a diaper -- more roomy where the diaper is.

My son still wears some 18 Mon pants but I have sizes from 18M to 2T in his drawer that he wears. It seems there is even more variation in size from brand to brand as they get larger. As a matter of fact my mother in law got DS a turtle neck in a target shirt in the 4T size!?!?! and when I hold it up to the 2T carter's turtle neck we have, it is the same. LOL go figure. So, buying clothes doesn't seem to get any easier.

I just went to my local OshGosh outlet yesterday and bought a bunch of 3T and 4T clothes for next winter 70-75% off. The great thing with OshGosh -- no return time limit. So....I feel safe buying their clothing when I'm getting things for next winter.

Hope this helps!!!
Best wishes
Beth
DS 04-04-03

sdbc
12-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks Beth. That totally helps! I know what you mean about being frustrated by the different sizing by the different brands. I guess it's the same as with adult clothing, only it's much easier to try clothes on an adult!!! Could you imagine trying clothes on a baby or toddler in the store? Ha!

jbrandy
12-29-2004, 12:24 PM
LOL--I know what you mean about trying clothes on toddlers -- impossible task :-) My mother in law bought him a pair of 2T pants and wants to shorten them so he can wear them now. She keeps bugging me about trying them on to mark where she should hem them to. I think I'm going to take a pair of pants he's already wearing and just mark the same length. It would be impossible to put them on him and pin them at the same time. LOL

Happy New Year!
Beth

sdbc
12-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Ha! Your mother-in-law doesn't remember what it was like with a toddler. Your way sounds like it would work, though.

nicknack
12-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Ooh, were there some good deals? I'm planning on hitting Carters and Osh Kosh on Friday.

squimp
12-29-2004, 02:38 PM
My understanding is that the 24mo is supposed to fit 18-24 months, while the 2T fits for the second year (24-36 mo). Of course the best thing to do is look at the sizing charts for the different companies. They are all slightly different.

It's a weird sizing system. So for example, LLBean does not sell any 24 month clothes. I'm starting to prefer Hanna's sizing, now that I've figured it out.

And then I think that the "T" clothes are supposed to have a little more room for diapers. But LLBean 2T rainpants were even too small for my 14 month old!

AbbieF
12-29-2004, 03:23 PM
One of the primary differences between 24 mo and 2T is generally the width through the stomache and rib area. My 8 mth. old (gosh, she really is 8 mths!) has what we call the buddha belly or sometimes her bully. As another mom referred to it lovingly as their "girth" as they start moving from toddling or waddling to full force sprinting they really slim down quite a bit in the mid section. So you'll typically find a 2T to be narrower.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/17/04

sdbc
12-29-2004, 11:05 PM
When we were up in Md at the in laws, The Children's Place had some amazing deals. The one here in NC wasn't so great, though. Also, I got a ton of stuff from the Gymbo Apres Ski line online, and then I also got some more Gymbo stuff from a swap page (European Holiday stuff).

BTW, last week, the Gymbo stuff online was cheaper than in the store, even with shipping. I noticed the prices went up a little this week, though.