PDA

View Full Version : Do the snap buttons on your Gymboree overalls "pop open" easily too?

boys2enough
12-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Not sure whether it is just my luck since I "lurk" on this board (being a mom of boys, no girls.. "sigh" don't get me started on how boys' clothes get more and more borning as they grow older...) but have never heard of anybody complaining about this. This is the 3rd pair of overalls that I have the same problem with now. I purchased all 3 pairs in different sizes throughout the years. The snap buttons on all 3 of them pop open so easily. The pants are/were not tight on my kids at all when this happens/happened. It is esp. annoying (not to mention embarrassing) when I turn around and see DS's diapered bottom totally exposed for the whole world to see! lol.

Since it happened again with this new pair of denim overalls I just got, I thought I'd post and see whether anybody else has experienced the same thing.

Have a wonderful new year everyone!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

brubeck
12-31-2004, 08:48 PM
I have this happen occasionally with all brands. I think sometimes you can just get bum snaps and the material overalls are made from tends to be pretty heavy. I have personally experienced this issue with Gymboree, Circo, Sprockets, TCP, LE and Osh Kosh.

You have a few choices. First you could just stop using those overalls. Usually this is not a popular choice. Secondly, you could try to bring them back to the store and get them to give you a new pair. This might work, it depends on a lot of things (your persuasiveness, the store's customer service policy, the SA's attitude that day, etc.). The third option (and I have done this with a couple of pairs I just LOVED) is to sew the legs together and do diaper changes by undoing the straps at the top. It's a big of a pain but worth it if you love the outfit.

JFC
12-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Not that I'm glad you are dealing with this too, but I am glad it isn't just me! ;-) Sometimes I feel like each time DS sits, everyone can see his diaper! It happens with overalls of all brands for us -- granted DS is always in overalls given his big belly, but that is a story for another post. My mom recommended I buy a tool that does snaps, but to be honest I'm just too lazy too take on another project so I just take them up the street to our local tailor who replaces the snaps for pennies....

JLiebCamm
12-31-2004, 09:58 PM
This happens to Nate all the time, and Gymbo's seem to be the worst for some reason. It's a bummer because he looks so cute in overalls but he always end up looking unkempt.

jubilee
01-01-2005, 02:11 AM
It happens to my son too- not just with overalls but with one piece rompers too. Logan has a long torso (I think) so even when I loosen the overall straps for the extra length, the snaps at the crotch come undone ALL THE TIME. My son hates overalls now and I won't buy them. Plus I hope to start potty training in 2005, so overalls won't really work well for a while anyway. But I have three overalls that are new that my son won't wear. Now they are in the Ukraine box for the orphanage project.

brigmaman
01-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey Lin!!
This happens to Brig,too. I bought a pair of denim Gymbo overalls last year for this winter, so now I can't even return them. He barely has to move and they come unsnapped. It also happens with a pair from OshKosh. I've just put them in the giveaway pile! What a waste!

kcimato
01-01-2005, 09:57 AM
I buy my GandS overalls all the time b/c he is so thin, has no butt, and can't hold up a pair of pants worth beans. I had bought him the reindeer overalls from Gymbo and I noticed when he was here for Xmas, that the snaps were undone. So I guess for him it's pants that fall down or overalls that unsnap!

I usually buy J&J overalls when they go on sale. I'll ask DIL if these do the same.

iluvmy2boys
01-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Yep - this happens to Holden but we've never owned Gymbo overalls (not for him at least). His babygap overalls and Old Navy overalls come undone quite a bit - but usually because he's really active and jumping, etc everywhere! I just make sure he's snapped up constantly, but I'm always making sure he's dressed period (he likes to strip! LOL).

boys2enough
01-01-2005, 02:49 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!! :)

Thank you all so much for confirming that it's not just me and my boys. Not really good news, but happy to know that I am not along. Bummer though since I really love putting overalls on them when they are young--very very tired of pulling their pants up every 5 minutes... But I am not going to do what my mom did to my second oldest brother--dressed him in girl outfits when he was a baby (because she REALLY REALLY wanted a girl)! lol.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

boys2enough
01-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Trish,

So happy to see your post. How's the baby treating you? Is she sleeping for you? I love the name Cadie. But what does "NAK" mean? :P Sorry for my ignorance. I was trying to figure out whether it's her permanent nickname or something else...

Just want to say hi to you since I think of you often. :)

Happy New Year!

p.s. I guess you will be hanging out on this board more often now that you have a little girl that you can dress up to your heart's content. lol. No, I am not jealous. (he he he) Just hope that anybody who is going to the American Girl Place in downtown Chicago will be so kind as to let me tag along so I may live through you all vicariously. ;-)

>Hey Lin!!
>This happens to Brig,too. I bought a pair of denim Gymbo
>overalls last year for this winter, so now I can't even return
>them. He barely has to move and they come unsnapped. It also
>happens with a pair from OshKosh. I've just put them in the
>giveaway pile! What a waste!

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

brubeck
01-01-2005, 04:46 PM
NAK = Nursing At Keyboard

brigmaman
01-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Lin, I don't think I've ever met anyone who wanted to dress a girl as much as you do! I'm good. Cadie sleeps...um...like a baby. No, seriously she's doing pretty well. As for the nak...I usually have Cadie in my arms at the computer. Even if I'm not nursing I'm pretty much always one-handed. ;)

calebsmama03
01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I LOVE the way DS looks in over alls and have only ever had this problem once - with Gymbo ones!! I can't take them back - got them big last year (part of the winter line that had polar bears). They are still big but pop open with the slightest movement. DS gets upset when he hears them pop and will grab his pants and cry :( I love these overalls and don't want to give them up!

Helen - When you sewed them together how/where did you do that? My sewing skills are novice at best ;) Did you follow the line INSIDE the reinforced area (so the stitching was before the snaps) or go on the outside of the snaps in the reinforced area? Seems like a viable option for me to save the pants.

Also wondering whether anyone has ever tried to fix or replace the snaps? Is this possible? Would it be cost prohibitive to have someone replace them?
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

brubeck
01-03-2005, 08:19 PM
My sewing skills are minimal too! I can stitch on buttons and repair holes in socks (you can see the 'fix'). I've never even used a sewing machine. All I did was snap up the overalls and turn them inside out. Then I stitched right along the snaps line (through all of that thick, folded fabric). I went over it twice with doubled thread . It hasn't broken on me yet!