PDA

View Full Version : What size for next winter?

jastinker
01-03-2005, 03:16 AM
OK, this is for all of you experienced mommies! :) There are such great delas on winter cloths right now, how do you anticipate what size your child will be? DD is 9 mos and 30 inches, 21lbs, 9oz. She wears size 18-24, depending on the maker. Should I buy 3T for next winter? What has been your experience?

Thanks for the help,
Lisa

Phoebe
01-03-2005, 11:31 AM
I think it's really hard to buy ahead. I was burned by that this past fall. All the gymboree 3s I had bought for dd the previous year were too small.

I know what you mean though; I'm tempted to get some Hannas, but I don't know whether to get 100 or 110s for dd. For my son, I'm pretty sure about getting him 90s... but still it's a gamble.

Phoebe,
Susan 4/01
David 6/03

Melanie
01-03-2005, 11:54 AM
I found my son to barely grow between age 1 and age 2. Most of his energy was focused on developmental growing and not physical. He was- in size 24 months at age 1 and age 2 and several months beyond, and would have stayed for longer if not for cloth diapers.

He was a squishy baby between 5 months and 1 year but slimmed down dramatically once he started walking. HTH but unless your family has a history of larger children, I wouldn't buy 3t. You could probably get away with 2T or 3T tops...though...they're easier to go big on.

Momof3Labs
01-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Before you buy, check the growth charts at www.cdc.gov and follow your DD's growth curve out a year. 3T sounds awfully big for a 21 month old girl - Colin was wearing 3Ts at that age, and was off the charts for height for boys. Growth patterns vary between 1 and 2 years, though - unlike Melanie's DS, Colin grew a lot, putting on about 6" and 11lbs from his first to his second birthday.

slknight
01-03-2005, 03:37 PM
As the previous posters have said, definitely follow that growth chart.

Just for reference, my DS was 29.5 inches and 22 pounds at 9 months this time last year. Now, at almost 21 months, he is about 28 pounds. He has stayed around the 75th percentile. Growth drastically slows down, although there still can be growth spurts.

Honestly, 3T does sound a little big. DS is in a lot of 2Ts and Hanna 90s, but also a lot of the same 18-24 and 80s stuff that he wore last year. It's hard to believe that I'm getting two winters out of a lot of stuff, but I am. Since he's long in the torso, I've had to get some bigger shirts, but a lot of his pants from last winter still fit.

HTH.

SteelerFan
01-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Can't really give you any advice about sizing, but wanted you to know that when you buy from the GAP and Janie and Jack, if you leave the tags on and keep the receipts and come next year your stuff doesn't fit, you can return it for a refund! Gymbo's return policy is only for 6 months so I would be hesitant to order from them! Good Luck!

Amy
2 DDs
DS-8/04